2014 CB1100E

postoak_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I see references to this but can't find out what it is. Is that the designation for the Standard or the Deluxe?

Second question, could the 2014 Standard be ordered with ABS?
 
Thread starter
I've done some research on NADA and it seems the model designations were:

2013 CB1100AD, CB1100D

2014 CB1100AE, CB1100E

Where the A indicates ABS.

But I also see the CB1100AE referred to as the CB1100AE Deluxe.

And the 2013 models only came in red and the 2014 AE was only in black and the E was only in red.

Does all that sound correct?
 
postoak, the answer to the second question in your first post is 'no'. I'll have to do some homework on the model designations.

In rhe US, the 2013 models were only in red; the 2014 standard only in black and the DLX only in red. In Europe, Japan and Taiwan, different colors were available. I think I'm right saying Canada got only blue CB1100s without ABS.

In Australia in 2010 and 2011 we had a choice of black, red, white and blue. But not ABS, although I'm pretty sure the bike was available with ABS in Japan.

Have a look at this post in a thread about VINs. There's some information there. I don't think A did indicate ABS as my 2011 CB was sold as a CB1100A and does not have ABS.

However, I've never found a consistent explanation of the final letter in the model designation and suspect it may vary country to country.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the response. I should have indicated I'm only talking about the U.S. model designations and colors here.
 
Then there is the parts listing.

For US 2013 it is
CB1100 AC
CB1100A AC

For 2014
CB1100 AC
CB1100SA AC

The letter thing is confusing I think.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:

In Canada:

2013 had White Tank with Silver/Grey Side Covers and ABS (This was according to a Honda brochure, but some non-ABS models may have squeaked in...and I have only seen a white one from a distance...they blend into our environment like Polar Bears)

2014 had Blue Tank with Matte Black Side Covers and ABS

2016 is Blacked-Out (including fenders) with cheap-restaurant-checked-tablecloth-tank-striping and ABS

Of the three versions, I'm partial to my 2014 Spencer Blue model, but I sure wish the Red DLX had been available...
Oh, well, one right answer is something, I suppose. :(

Thanks, Gumby.
 
Just looked over my AHFP installment contract and my 2014 black standard is listed as CB 1100 E. Don't know what the E stands for and don't care.Love the bike.
postoak_imp said:
I've done some research on NADA and it seems the model designations were:

2013 CB1100AD, CB1100D

2014 CB1100AE, CB1100E

Where the A indicates ABS.

But I also see the CB1100AE referred to as the CB1100AE Deluxe.

And the 2013 models only came in red and the 2014 AE was only in black and the E was only in red.

Does all that sound correct?
My 2014 E is a black standard with no abs.
 
dsinned_imp said:
Same here. My 2014 (bought new in CA) is also designated as a CB1100E.


I used to work as the finance mgr at a Honda store.

D is Honda code for "any" 2013 model bike.

E is the Honda code for "any" 2014 bike.

At least in the U.S.

And...it really is useful only when communicating within a dealership or when dealers are trading units. But it doesn't mean anything at all about the specific model, it is only referring to the year.
 
Interesting, Olyrider. 'D' is the letter assigned to 2013 in all VINs; so, too 'E' for 2014 so that makes really good sense to me.

The on-line copy of the manual for the Australian 2010-2011 models has 'CB110/A' on the cover. If the logic used in the USA applied, it would make sense as 'A' in VINs denotes 2010; 'B' 2011; 'C' 2012; etc. However, on page 11 in the description of the features of the instrument panel there's a reference to the CB1100A being the ABS model.

However again, the European copy of the manual for the 2013 model refers to it as the CB1100A. Then there's popgun's reference to the parts fiche (here).

I agree with popgun: in the absence of a definitive explanation from Honda, it's a bit hard to make sense of the letter in the model number.
 
Thread starter
I don't know that the parts fiche is that significant as my Nighthawk 750 (for example) called for selecting "CB750A" which is never used elsewhere.

I think, yes, the ABS is designated by "A", but used in conjunction with the year letter code, with the ABS code preceding the year code. Following this logic, ABS designations for the years 2010-2016 would be AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG.
 
I knew that sometime, I'd done a bit of work on this and I just found what I wrote down at the time. I'm not sure I posted it. I can't remember where I found it all, and, when I look again, I suspect the 2014 US DLX should be SAE.

Designation Year Model Country
CB1100A 2010 Australia
CB1100AA 2010 ABS Australia
CB1100B 2011 Australia
CB1100AB 2011. ABS Australia
CB1100C 2012 Australia
CB1100AC 2012. ABS Australia
CB1100D 2013 USA
CB1100AD 2013 ABS Europe, Ireland, Russia, UK, US
CB1100E 2014 China, Europe, US
CB1100AE 2014 ABS China, Europe, Ireland, UK
CB1100SAE 2014 EX Europe, Italy, Russia, UK
CB1100SA 2014 DLX US
CB1100SADE 2014 EX China
 
I'm following, and interested in this conversation - the Official MODEL CODE for my 2014 (US) CB1100 DLX. From the above - it's "CB1100SA". Then, why do you suspect it should be "SAE" (EX Europe, Italy, Russia, UK)?
 
Sorry to repeat myself, but I must not have been clear...

Looking at the list provided by Cormanus (thank you!) here is a simple exercise:

For the 2010 models, delete "one" of the "A"s in the vehicle description. Not every time the "A" appears. Just once. So 2010 models become CB1100 and CB1100A. CB1100A is the ABS model.

For 2011, delete the "B". So they become CB1100 and CB1100A.

For 2012, delete the "C"...so they become...

Starting to see a pattern?

That letter represents nothing more than the year of production. It is not indicative of a different, or re-designed, model.
 
Excellent, Olyrider!
 
Back
Top