2014 CB1100 ?

I don't know, after quickly selling his first 3, my dealer has had a new one sitting on the floor for weeks. The crazies are done with their feeding frenzy ? (but not the farkling !) Wonder how it's going across the U.S...
 
I picked up my bike yesterday at the dealer (was in for scheduled service) and there was a non-ABS on the showroom floor, has been there for weeks. I'm hoping that it sells so the dealer and Hands can make some money and give us a 2014 model.
 
My local dealer dropped his list price to $9,299 and I've seen a CB1100 on the floor the 4 or 5 times I've been there the past 2 months. Furious_blue may be on to something.

How does everyone feel about a 1 year run in the US? I was hoping the CB1100 would be around for many years with hopes that accessories would become more plentiful in the US. Thanks to the folks on this site, the accessories issue seems to be "solved", at least for the near future.
 
Id love it if it were a one year model here. Would make mine rare like the 83 CB 1100f.
 
I was initially hoping that the US CB1100 would turn out to be a big sales hit for Honda and it would enjoy a two or three year run, for a few reasons but primarily: first the more CB1100s sold, the more aftermarket parts will be available and the longer Honda will support OEM parts for the bike, and second the bigger the owners group, the better chance it remains vibrant and group rides etc will continue in the future.

Ferret's example of the 83 CB1100F is a good one: the 83 CB1100F shared (not exactly, but substantially) a wildly successful motorcycle platform which included the 80s CB750F, the 80s CB900F, and many of the non-cosmetic and non-final drivetrain parts of the very popular 80s 900 custom as well, and as a result of having all these similar bikes on the road it is relatively easy even thirty years later to keep the 83 CB1100F in running condition, but as Ferret mentions, it was only sold in the US for one year -- the perfect combination of 'rare' and 'everywhere'! I really like the 83 CB1100F as well: I just bought a 83 CB1100F from a guy in New Mexico and I'm having it shipped to the east coast, due to arrive the first week of August (when it arrives I'll add it to my sig line).
 
Cool... Those would make great side by side pics.
 
I hope they bring her back for at least one more year. I like having a bike that is different and unique, but as I found out with my 2008 Suzuki B-King, a single year run means very little aftermarket support. Unfortunately, Full fairing sport bikes and V twin cruisers seem to be the sales leaders here in the USA, and bikes like the CB 1100 usually fall prey to simple economics. We'll just have to wait and see....
 
I am afraid, as some of you have suggested, that those who are hot for these bike have bought theirs already. It could be that once all the retro Honda guys get one, the sales will drop to zip. Surely some of the dealers know how the bikes are selling nation wide. I'm going to prod my dealer for info.
 
Gentlemen,

The CB1100 is, by today's standards, a pretty expensive bike and it's made in Japan which means it's expensive to build. Honda is having great success with utilitarian smaller bikes like the CBR250R and it's dual sport cousin built in low wage countries like Thailand and India. In today's Great Depression the top end of the market and the bottom end tend to do the best. The CB1100 is in the middle and in a good economy I think it would sell well for years. Today it's tough to say. I hope this bike has a multi year run and I don't care about exclusivity. I can find and buy all kinds of cool stuff for my Mustangs because they are popular. The aftermarket is non existent for the American Motors AMX even though it's a cool car.

Chip
 
If the bike doesn't have a multi-year run in the U.S., we can at least be happy that it has already had a multi-year run elsewhere, more plentiful parts availability in the future even if it only had a short run here.

I never thought that this bike would end up being a specialty bike like the B-King, or V-MAX #2 (I've only seen *one* of these in the wild so far !).. but maybe we'll end up being the self-chosen few.. hmmmm....

If they offer it in some future year in that Candy Orange metal flake from the 70's, I'll have a real dilemma on my hands...
 
Personally, I really hope the CB1100 returns in 2014 for many of the reasons mentioned above (OEM parts support, accessories availability, etc.). However, at this point I wouldn't want to make a prediction as to whether or not we'll see the big CB back in the lineup come next year. As most everyone here knows, the CB1100 is a great bike. If people were to contemplate it on its own terms (what it is like to ride and own), I'm guessing that it would sell fairly well for a number of years yet to come. However, the first thing that most people think of is the displacement and they set their expectations accordingly and end up complaining about the horsepower ratings or other such things.

Interestingly, like many here, I fell in love with the bike the instant I laid my eyes upon photos of this machine. But I can remember that early on, I worried that the bike might be too much for me, especially from the overall physical size standpoint. I obviously now know better, but because it was an "1100" I did have certain biases come into play (and I was already hooked on the looks of the bike). So, as far as others out there contemplating bikes in general are concerned, I have no idea how they might be interpreting the CB1100. It really is a crapshoot as far as I'm concerned. At this point, I'm just glad that Honda brought the bike to North America — period. Even if it turns out to be only for one year.
 
Does anyone know how to figure out how many CB1100's may be left for sale in the US? If there is a huge inventory not sold, that may determine whether Honda brings a 2014 model to the US. Not sure if this applies to Canada, so apologies to my northern neighbors!

I gotta say, I am seriously thinking about buying a second CB1100 in case they don't have a 2014 model. I am thinking of taking the second one and "making" it black by purchasing the black tank and side panels from Japan. That's how much I love this bike. And I have owned many, many motorcycles...

Just thinking out loud...

Please share your thoughts!
 
They'll do a 2014. They didn't bring this to the showroom until April. I think you're seeing the late summer sales slowdown. Honda stuck with the VFR1200 through 4 years now with sales that have to be pitiful since even the VFR guys were big haters. So I wold expect to see at least another year or two and then a reassessment.
 
A single color choice didn't help them much if you asked me. I would have JUMPED on the black one for sure.
 
Randy B_imp said:
A single color choice didn't help them much if you asked me. I would have JUMPED on the black one for sure.
****************************************************

Me too because of my black sidecar. But, if I were to buy one for use without a sidecar, I would really like the white bike.

I called my dealer today. He said this month is when they are usually notified about the next year's models. He said he was going to see what he could find out and call me.
 
Thread starter
I didn't ask for a dealer search. I didn't want to appear that interested in the CB1100. I wanted to say it is not a lot of bike for the money, it is heavy, and not enough HP in todays market. Then I would buy it. LMAO

I did make it to five dealers on my own and could not find an ABS model.

ED
 
Why Honda is getting or trying to get 10 grand for a $8500 motorcycle I will never know (look at Honda prices across the board):(:-/ ,I will wait for Yammie FZ9 @ $7990 msrp
 
Back
Top