2014 CB1100 Standard ride review/XSR900 comparo

Thread starter
Flynrider, that pic certainly reveals the excessive width of the tank, and it's also evident in any pic taken from the front of the bike. From the headlight-shot angle, the forward-most portion of the squat, bulbous, shapeless tank absolutely reminds me of Jabba the Hut. Moreover, the sheer width of the tank even at the seat junction splays my knees out. I would probably opt for the shorter seat, and not just to reduce the reach to the ground. The shorter seat would also place my knees lower, where the body of the bike is narrower.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
MTC, while not wanting to detract from redbirds’ and Sparky’s family first, I’m pretty sure that, while the Wandering Souls were sponsored, it was jo by Honda or a Honda dealer and that they chose the CBs for their trip.

Could be wrong though.
You are probably correct....I still don't think they should count, though, because they (I think) sold those bikes and did not replace them with CBs later. No biggie either way, though, because redbirds and Sparky must be the only couple represented here with his/her CBs
You are probably correct....I still don't think they should count, though, because they (I think) sold those bikes and did not replace them with CBs later. No biggie either way, though, because redbirds and Sparky must be the only couple represented here with his/her CBs
There was a guy who joined the forum this summer, I can't remember his screen? name but I believe his name is Jody from somewhere in the Nashville area (I think), anyway he and his girlfriend both have CBs.

I'll see if I can find him on here.
 
Jodytek. A not-so-quick search revealed that Jodytek and his spouse both have CB1100s. Now, we just need them to ride up the road a piece to Berea in June so we can get a group picture of the two, obviously happy, couples.
 
VLJ_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
After sitting on a 900RS Sparky was surprised that it was just as tall as her V-strom and after 10 years and two V-stroms, a tall bike is something she wanted to avoid. The Kawasaki does feel light coming off the side stand but they should have altered the suspension to allow a lower seat height. Lack of a center stand was another minus.
Yours Truly Wrote:The U.S.-spec Z900RS comes standard with their much thicker, taller seat. In other markets the Kawi comes standard with the optional shorter seat, and that's the seat Kawi uses to achieve their claimed 31.5" seat height. The U.S. version is nearly 33".
Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.
Yours Truly Wrote:The U.S.-spec Z900RS comes standard with their much thicker, taller seat. In other markets the Kawi comes standard with the optional shorter seat, and that's the seat Kawi uses to achieve their claimed 31.5" seat height. The U.S. version is nearly 33".
Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.
Her initial draw to the 900RS was the weight, about the same as her V-strom but after riding the CB on dirt she found the weight of the Honda no problem.

I explained these options to her.
Optional center stand... "Looks like an after thought, poor design and ugly."

Lower seat.... "Not going that route again, expensive and too thin to be comfortable."

Optional rear lowering link...."The Honda needs no modification to make it right and new 2014's selling for $7000 to $8000."

I liked the idea of having the Kaw as well as the CB but her mind is now set on the CB and being together now near 40 years, I know not likely to change.
 
The '17 forks are a direct swap onto an earlier bike and are more comfortable. I am very happy with the purchase.

Those, along with the Ikon rear shocks, tall K&H seat and more pulled back handle bars really make the bike an all day long rider.


3d6e1e8a9d95ec7bed165543b414f057.jpg
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
The '17 forks are a direct swap onto an earlier bike and are more comfortable. I am very happy with the purchase.

Those, along with the Ikon rear shocks, tall K&H seat and more pulled back handle bars really make the bike an all day long rider.


3d6e1e8a9d95ec7bed165543b414f057.jpg
I don't want to hijack this thread, so I tried a quick search on the '17 fork swap, but came up with too many results. PowerDubs, if you created a thread about your new forks (installation comments are great, but I'm looking more for riding impressions), please point me to it. Thanks.

Matt
 
VLJ_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
After sitting on a 900RS Sparky was surprised that it was just as tall as her V-strom and after 10 years and two V-stroms, a tall bike is something she wanted to avoid. The Kawasaki does feel light coming off the side stand but they should have altered the suspension to allow a lower seat height. Lack of a center stand was another minus.
Yours Truly Wrote:The U.S.-spec Z900RS comes standard with their much thicker, taller seat. In other markets the Kawi comes standard with the optional shorter seat, and that's the seat Kawi uses to achieve their claimed 31.5" seat height. The U.S. version is nearly 33".
Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.
My buddy has one of these; I sat on it and it felt about right, but he had the optional shorter seat.

The specs are required to show the seat height as delivered; I am not sure whether they reflect the standard seat or not but they are supposed to.

The Z900 does have a nice low seat height and offers a higher seat as an option.

The bike is quite light, with a low CG and a good spec sheet, and KHI will sell plenty of them.

However, I would not rush right out and get one to replace a CB1100 because there is a very real difference when it comes to on-road stability and overall ride comfort. The CB has a heavier chassis and is a lot better at eating up the slab or long stretches of pavement, if that's your thing.

If it's just the seat height and concerns of possibly dropping the bike (yep, I whined about that stuff myself) then get the seat cut down, bolt on some Honda engine guards (the kind that don't drag in the turns) and keep your Honda.
PowerDubs_imp said:
The '17 forks are a direct swap onto an earlier bike and are more comfortable. I am very happy with the purchase.

Those, along with the Ikon rear shocks, tall K&H seat and more pulled back handle bars really make the bike an all day long rider.


3d6e1e8a9d95ec7bed165543b414f057.jpg
I recall that thread and read it with great interest. You said it, the CB is a great all-day machine. With those upgrades it'll eat up pavement like nobody's business. I was about to do the Racetech front end on mine when I sold it.

If I get another, it'll be Type II bars and a low seat. I speculate the suspension and handling will be quite a bit better with the DBV forks and upgraded shocks.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
After sitting on a 900RS Sparky was surprised that it was just as tall as her V-strom and after 10 years and two V-stroms, a tall bike is something she wanted to avoid. The Kawasaki does feel light coming off the side stand but they should have altered the suspension to allow a lower seat height. Lack of a center stand was another minus.
Yours Truly Wrote:The U.S.-spec Z900RS comes standard with their much thicker, taller seat. In other markets the Kawi comes standard with the optional shorter seat, and that's the seat Kawi uses to achieve their claimed 31.5" seat height. The U.S. version is nearly 33".
Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.
Yours Truly Wrote:The U.S.-spec Z900RS comes standard with their much thicker, taller seat. In other markets the Kawi comes standard with the optional shorter seat, and that's the seat Kawi uses to achieve their claimed 31.5" seat height. The U.S. version is nearly 33".
Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.
Her initial draw to the 900RS was the weight, about the same as her V-strom but after riding the CB on dirt she found the weight of the Honda no problem.

I explained these options to her.
Optional center stand... "Looks like an after thought, poor design and ugly."

Lower seat.... "Not going that route again, expensive and too thin to be comfortable."

Optional rear lowering link...."The Honda needs no modification to make it right and new 2014's selling for $7000 to $8000."

I liked the idea of having the Kaw as well as the CB but her mind is now set on the CB and being together now near 40 years, I know not likely to change.
Yours Truly Wrote:The U.S.-spec Z900RS comes standard with their much thicker, taller seat. In other markets the Kawi comes standard with the optional shorter seat, and that's the seat Kawi uses to achieve their claimed 31.5" seat height. The U.S. version is nearly 33".
Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.
Her initial draw to the 900RS was the weight, about the same as her V-strom but after riding the CB on dirt she found the weight of the Honda no problem.

I explained these options to her.
Optional center stand... "Looks like an after thought, poor design and ugly."

Lower seat.... "Not going that route again, expensive and too thin to be comfortable."

Optional rear lowering link...."The Honda needs no modification to make it right and new 2014's selling for $7000 to $8000."

I liked the idea of having the Kaw as well as the CB but her mind is now set on the CB and being together now near 40 years, I know not likely to change.
Nothing wrong with that. Needless to say, I would also take a CB1100 over a Z900RS, and if the CB1100 is what wifey wants, we all know it's best to keep wifey happy.
 
redbirds_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
After sitting on a 900RS Sparky was surprised that it was just as tall as her V-strom and after 10 years and two V-stroms, a tall bike is something she wanted to avoid. The Kawasaki does feel light coming off the side stand but they should have altered the suspension to allow a lower seat height. Lack of a center stand was another minus.
Yours Truly Wrote:The U.S.-spec Z900RS comes standard with their much thicker, taller seat. In other markets the Kawi comes standard with the optional shorter seat, and that's the seat Kawi uses to achieve their claimed 31.5" seat height. The U.S. version is nearly 33".
Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.
Yours Truly Wrote:The U.S.-spec Z900RS comes standard with their much thicker, taller seat. In other markets the Kawi comes standard with the optional shorter seat, and that's the seat Kawi uses to achieve their claimed 31.5" seat height. The U.S. version is nearly 33".
Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.
Her initial draw to the 900RS was the weight, about the same as her V-strom but after riding the CB on dirt she found the weight of the Honda no problem.

I explained these options to her.
Optional center stand... "Looks like an after thought, poor design and ugly."

Lower seat.... "Not going that route again, expensive and too thin to be comfortable."

Optional rear lowering link...."The Honda needs no modification to make it right and new 2014's selling for $7000 to $8000."

I liked the idea of having the Kaw as well as the CB but her mind is now set on the CB and being together now near 40 years, I know not likely to change.
Knowing that last part is WAY more important for your longevity than knowing to avoid target fixation. Can't wait to meet both of you in Berea! :beerchug:
 
I'm a new CB1100 owner ('14 Standard) and I read this entire thread with amusement.

The whole point of the CB1100 is it recreates the vintage look and feel of the late 70's and 80's. It was never intended to ride like a modern sport bike. If it did it wouldn't capture the nostalgia and fun of those old bikes. Having said that it's still a way better motorcycle than anything we rode back then. It has a better motor, better brakes, better suspension and better fit and finish than the motorcycles of the 70's and 80's.

I bought my bike for what it is. I wanted a modern version of an old classic and that's exactly what I got. It looks fantastic and rides better than my CB750F ever did. If I had wanted a sport bike or a touring bike or an ADV bike I would have bought one.

Don't ruin a perfectly wonderful motorcycle by trying to turn it into something it was never intended to be. If riding a modern recreation of an old classic doesn't do it for you buy something else.
 
Well put cb750F. As a guy who also just purchased a new '14 for under 7K, I'm expecting tons of satisfaction from this bike. A big Honda four, a excellent choice for my last bike.
 
CB750F_imp said:
I'm a new CB1100 owner ('14 Standard) and I read this entire thread with amusement.

The whole point of the CB1100 is it recreates the vintage look and feel of the late 70's and 80's. It was never intended to ride like a modern sport bike. If it did it wouldn't capture the nostalgia and fun of those old bikes. Having said that it's still a way better motorcycle than anything we rode back then. It has a better motor, better brakes, better suspension and better fit and finish than the motorcycles of the 70's and 80's.

I bought my bike for what it is. I wanted a modern version of an old classic and that's exactly what I got. It looks fantastic and rides better than my CB750F ever did. If I had wanted a sport bike or a touring bike or an ADV bike I would have bought one.

Don't ruin a perfectly wonderful motorcycle by trying to turn it into something it was never intended to be. If riding a modern recreation of an old classic doesn't do it for you buy something else.
I feel exactly the same way about the CB1100, and have saved what you said in a folder.

But I do remember in the 60s and 70s that everyone modified their motorcycles to suit the own style or riding habits. Or just so their bike was different than everyone else's.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon, excellent point. No matter what bike or era, people have always taken whatever they were riding and modified it to suit their tastes. It doesn't matter whether we're talking about an original CB750 or Z1, or a modern, farkled-to-death R1200GS or Gold Wing, motorcyclists have always treated their motorcycles as semi-completed canvasses awaiting one's personal finishing touch.

To expect the modern CB1100 or its owner to be any different is to ignore the basic zeitgeist of motorcycling.

That being said, and to CB750F's point, of course one looking for a thoroughly up-to-date, high-performance motorcycle ought to look elsewhere, as the CB1100 will never scratch that itch, and no degree of farkling will ever change that essential fact. Such a person is simply looking at the wrong bike, and that's on him, not the bike.
 
Pretty much any motorcycle I've ever owned I've left alone. I'm not into farkling. I did put some Givi hard bags on a Versys 650 but that's about the extent of my after market adventures.
 
Thread starter
CB750F, I suspect you and I are more the exception than the rule. Like you, I tend to leave most of my bikes as close to stock as possible. If I do modify them in any way, my strong preference is to stick with factory accessories. Even so, the majority of my bikes received some degree of personal touch.

The more I feel a need to modify my bike, the less enchanted with it I become; my XSR900 being a perfect example. With the lone exception of my SV650, which I modded to death and loved to death, the best bikes were the ones that didn't make me want to change anything about them, and those were rarities, indeed.

Now I'm trying to recall any bikes that I left 100% stock...

Okay, there were the two GSX-Rs, the 750 and 1000. Never touched a single thing.

Most of my Hondas were left alone, except for the two VFRs and the CBR600, which received exhaust systems. Come on, though, those high-revving V4s with the gear-driven cams were the best-sounding motors ever created. I had no choice. Such glorious music simply had to be experienced through a proper set of speakers. As for the CBR, I was just the typical idiot that wanted more power.

I left my Street Triple R alone, and one of my Kawis, the ZX-6. The ZX-9R did receive a pipe.

Whoa, come to think of it, I left both of my BMW Roadsters bone stock. Hmmm.

The CB1100? Provided the suspension truly is better on the '17 EX, the only modification I would make is the addition of Honda's heated grips. Otherwise, I wouldn't even add steel brake lines or HH pads. I'd leave her 100% stock.
 
In my early twenties I bought a one year old 1966 BSA Lightning for $700. Then spent 2 or 3 times that importing accessories from Britain to make it into a café racer. Seemed like the right thing to do at that time.

In my early thirties I did the exact opposite. Bought a 1971 BSA Lightning for $700 that had been made into a quasi-chopper. Spent the entire winter searching for original parts, taking the motorcycle all apart, and rebuilding to it original condition, except the paint. The paint schemes on the BSAs for that year were UGH-LY. I used the ever popular black paint scheme instead. Turned out very well and was a pleasure to ride.

The next three new bikes I bought (Yamaha XS1100G, Goldwing Aspencade, CB500XA) had lots of accessories added to haul stuff and make the ride more comfortable.

My 2017 CB1100 EX is a dilemma. I like the retro look of the motorcycle, but would really appreciate an effective windscreen, rear carrier and comfortable seat. All but the tall seat would take away from the bike's retro looks. The rack and seat are also expensive to import. However given my history, I am sure they will all be added.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon, you want to swap the '17 EX's seat for a "comfortable seat"? All the reviews say the stock seat is amazingly comfortable!

Dude!
 
Nortoon_imp said:
In my early twenties I bought a one year old 1966 BSA Lightning for $700. Then spent 2 or 3 times that importing accessories from Britain to make it into a café racer. Seemed like the right thing to do at that time.

In my early thirties I did the exact opposite. Bought a 1971 BSA Lightning for $700 that had been made into a quasi-chopper. Spent the entire winter searching for original parts, taking the motorcycle all apart, and rebuilding to it original condition, except the paint. The paint schemes on the BSAs for that year were UGH-LY. I used the ever popular black paint scheme instead. Turned out very well and was a pleasure to ride.

The next three new bikes I bought (Yamaha XS1100G, Goldwing Aspencade, CB500XA) had lots of accessories added to haul stuff and make the ride more comfortable.

My 2017 CB1100 EX is a dilemma. I like the retro look of the motorcycle, but would really appreciate an effective windscreen, rear carrier and comfortable seat. All but the tall seat would take away from the bike's retro looks. The rack and seat are also expensive to import. However given my history, I am sure they will all be added.
Does anyone know if a stock carrier for a 2014 will fit a 2017? If it does I will have one for sale in about a week...have a Givi 55L topcase to fit it also...windscreen...Daytona seat...
 
Back
Top