2014 CB1100 Standard ride review/XSR900 comparo

Thread starter
That would only mean that you spent as much on performance upgrades as you spent on the entire bike, which doesn't mean it lends itself to performance upgrades without breaking the bank. It means the CB can be purchased used without breaking the bank.
 
At least with the R1200RT, you could run up to A&S BMW and take one out for the day to see how you like it. That's a bike I really want to like, but it doesn't stir me and it's unnecessarily complex, technically speaking. I don't want to scroll through an LCD menu just to turn up the heated grips, nor do I want a keyless ride or other electronic hoopla. Still, folks who own them, love them.
 
Thread starter
I doubt Randy would let me take one out for the entire day, but he'd certainly allow their usual brief test ride. I don't need to ride it all day. Five minutes on the freeway will tell me whether the windshield works for me.
 
Most BMW dealers I've worked with are happy to throw you the keys and say "just be back by closing." Perhaps A&S is different.

I'm 6'6" and couldn't find quiet air behind the screen of a '14 RT or the '08 RT I owned for three weeks before selling it out of frustration. Like your experience yesterday, I've learned a naked CB trumps anything with a screen, at least when it comes to wind noise.
 
I've really enjoyed VLJ's journey thus far and, more to the point, the discussion it has provoked. However, when it comes down to it the issue at the heart of the matter is not so much the bike as VLJ's personality which leads to his riding in a particular way. He loves the CB1100 EX and wants to believe that it would be a good for him if he could buy one, slow down and enjoy it. That may well be true. I don't know. Others of us seem to think his character will lead him inevitably to disappointment as the bike fails to meet the needs of the way he will be driven to ride.

Buy the bike, VLJ, and share your journey with us. As you've said, if it doesn't work out and your inner speed demon wins the fight, at least you'll have tried and we'll get to hear about the battle.

Ulvetanna, I also hope you land on a 2017 CB1100EX and share your journey with us. Even though you may not believe it, there are those of us who would like to know whether, if tinkered with and ridden in a sporting manner, it delivers satisfaction.
 
VLJ_imp said:
That would only mean that you spent as much on performance upgrades as you spent on the entire bike, which doesn't mean it lends itself to performance upgrades without breaking the bank. It means the CB can be purchased used without breaking the bank.
No...it wouldn't mean that at all. For instance, Ohlins sold the shocks for half-price after Honda exited in 2015. A forum member sold the exhaust at a substantial discount after just a few miles. For some reason, unknown to me, you have decided to draw some line in the sand and pick a fight. You win. I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about, and no idea how much I've spent. But you do. So I'll just go back to lurking...
 
I want to make a point but I don't know how so l'll use a paradigm. I stated here before that I believe most of us here feel like 16 . Let's say we are in high school and someone of us likes a girl (he already has a girlfriend) and wants to make up with her. First option: make eye contact and if she responds go straight to her and ask for a date. She says ok (he pays the bill) and you together start exploring each other. The outcome is not guaranteed, it's pure magic...Second option: you start asking ALL her ex boyfriends about her . Is she a good kisser? How about her boobs? How about her ass?..etc. The outcome: she is never be your girlfriend. You just lost the opportunity to find out..
Ps1: VLJ now I know for sure you are a German spy - manipulator (go and buy this r1200rt , in a year or two there would be a new one with better air-water-liquid-alcohol-syrup cooled engine to replace your OLD one...:rofl:
Ps2: I think choosing a motorcycle is like choosing a partner. If I was choosed by a woman I would like to be choosed for what I really am and I wouldn't like to be modified by her to meet her needs..I know that you are looking at this beautiful tank..it feels real good between my legs..
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Most BMW dealers I've worked with are happy to throw you the keys and say "just be back by closing." Perhaps A&S is different.

I'm 6'6" and couldn't find quiet air behind the screen of a '14 RT or the '08 RT I owned for three weeks before selling it out of frustration. Like your experience yesterday, I've learned a naked CB trumps anything with a screen, at least when it comes to wind noise.
Randy, throw someone the keys and say, "Just be back by closing!"?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quote:I'm 6'6" and couldn't find quiet air behind the screen of a '14 RT or the '08 RT I owned for three weeks before selling it out of frustration. Like your experience yesterday, I've learned a naked CB trumps anything with a screen, at least when it comes to wind noise.
Could easily be my experience, too. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised, either. I have never gotten along with windshields and upright seating positions. That's why my last half-dozen bikes have been naked sportbikes or naked standards, like the R1200R. If I do use a windshield, it's barely large enough to cover the instruments.
Olyrider_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
That would only mean that you spent as much on performance upgrades as you spent on the entire bike, which doesn't mean it lends itself to performance upgrades without breaking the bank. It means the CB can be purchased used without breaking the bank.
No...it wouldn't mean that at all. For instance, Ohlins sold the shocks for half-price after Honda exited in 2015. A forum member sold the exhaust at a substantial discount after just a few miles. For some reason, unknown to me, you have decided to draw some line in the sand and pick a fight. You win. I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about, and no idea how much I've spent. But you do. So I'll just go back to lurking...
No...it wouldn't mean that at all. For instance, Ohlins sold the shocks for half-price after Honda exited in 2015. A forum member sold the exhaust at a substantial discount after just a few miles. For some reason, unknown to me, you have decided to draw some line in the sand and pick a fight. You win. I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about, and no idea how much I've spent. But you do. So I'll just go back to lurking...
For the record, all I did was post a smilie emoji after quoting you on how cheaply you added a couple thousand bucks worth of performance upgrades. You were the one who picked the fight, with this hyper-defensive little snit...

Quote:Expected that response from someone, just wasn't sure who would throw it out there.

I bought a used 2013 with less than 1,000 miles. Would be more than happy to compare receipts with you, and the two bikes, after you purchase a new 2017.
Anyway, the reason you expected that response from someone was because you already knew you were contradicting yourself, and someone would find humor in it. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
 
Thread starter
mickey, your comment here...

Quote:CB and the XSR are very comfortable to ride but are bi-polar in their attitudes. The CB laid back, smooth, comfortable, quiet while the XSR is raucous, energetic, wants to run and act crazy. It's impossible to ride it sedately, not because the motor isn't capable of doing that, but because the exhaust note encourages you to accelerate just to hear it. One is an older gentleman the other a teenager with tats and piercings. One plans on being in by dark, the other won't be in until the club closes.
...is spot-on. The only thing I would add is it's not just the exhaust note, but the overall feel—the cadence—of the motor that encourages you to accelerate.

Earlier in this thread someone said I could just ride my XSR at lower speeds, rather than buy a slower bike.

Nope. Won't work. Riding the XSR slowly takes all the fun out of it. At that point, I'd rather ride a bike that is designed to be ridden at slower speeds, so it will feel happier there. The XSR fuels and does everything just fine at slow speeds, but it feels grouchy. It's not in a good mood, and when it is in a good mood it's really fun, so that's the mood you want it to be in!
 
After reading this threads 5 pages of fairly interesting comments and taking their multiple pro and con points into consideration nothing changed the opinion I had beforehand: I REALLY, REALLY like my almost bone stock 2013 CB1100.
 
Hey there VLJ and egleaves, thanks for posting your thoughts following the bike swap. It's always nice to learn about other machines. The XSR sounds like a real hoot and the comments about the CB has sparked some lively conversation.

VLJ what's all this guff about the bike being a factor in helping you to slow down, surely that's simply something between your left-brain and your right wrist? Perhaps you could commence, or resume, some club road racing and go play where the seriously fast guys (and gals) play.
 
Frulk_imp said:
After reading this threads 5 pages of fairly interesting comments and taking their multiple pro and con points into consideration nothing changed the opinion I had beforehand: I REALLY, REALLY like my almost bone stock 2013 CB1100.
This has no doubt been a very entertaining chapter in CB1100 Forum history, but when all is said and done, Amen to that.
 
Aussieflyer, I agree. That has me stumped too. I saw 155 mph (once) on my big yellow beemer and have frequently sat at 120-130 mph on wide open stretches, but I can still manage to ride it, quite happily and thoroughly enjoying myself, within the speed limit. My high speed days are behind me but that doesn't mean the bike isn't still perfectly enjoyable. For me.
 
Thread starter
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Hey there VLJ and egleaves, thanks for posting your thoughts following the bike swap. It's always nice to learn about other machines. The XSR sounds like a real hoot and the comments about the CB has sparked some lively conversation.

VLJ what's all this guff about the bike being a factor in helping you to slow down, surely that's simply something between your left-brain and your right wrist? Perhaps you could commence, or resume, some club road racing and go play where the seriously fast guys (and gals) play.
As ferret and I were just discussing, yes, an XSR can be ridden slowly, but who would want to? I know I don't.

Quote:Perhaps you could commence, or resume, some club road racing and go play where the seriously fast guys (and gals) play.
My reconstructed neck won't even let me ride sportbikes or bikes with a slight forward lean, never mind doing track days anymore. I used to be a track-day junkie, but those days are long gone.
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Hey there VLJ and egleaves, thanks for posting your thoughts following the bike swap. It's always nice to learn about other machines. The XSR sounds like a real hoot and the comments about the CB has sparked some lively conversation.

VLJ what's all this guff about the bike being a factor in helping you to slow down, surely that's simply something between your left-brain and your right wrist? Perhaps you could commence, or resume, some club road racing and go play where the seriously fast guys (and gals) play.
That’s what I was trying to say here, except more succinctly put.


Frulk_imp said:
Hear, hear!
 
The ferret_imp said:
This kind of thread reminds me how passionate we are about motorcycles. That's a good thing.
Hear, hear, sir! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have not been trying to change anyone's opinion about their motorcycle. But there has been a great deal of feeling expressed here recently. A bit of hash has been slung, and a barb or two. That's expected.

However, it's the most animated and interesting discussion about the CB1100 I've seen since I started visiting the site.

So that's a neat thing.

The extra helping of character analysis, not so much, but I can take the pepper as long as there's a bit of salt.
Frulk_imp said:
After reading this threads 5 pages of fairly interesting comments and taking their multiple pro and con points into consideration nothing changed the opinion I had beforehand: I REALLY, REALLY like my almost bone stock 2013 CB1100.
That really emphasizes the true irony of the goal of increasing the activity and post count.

In the last few weeks some folks have put a sincere effort into increasing the conversation level, but at the same time, some have expressed sentiments that much ado about nothing is a bad thing.

The lesson here is that post count, word count, and character count don't define quality.

That task was better left to Robert Pirsig, lol.

By the way, I REALLY, REALLY, liked my 2013 CB1100. But I LOVE my 2015 ZX10R and Z900R.

I don't have an aircraft hangar to store bikes, nor the funds, or I'd get a place next to Jay Leno's.

There just wasn't room enough for all of 'em, so the CB1100 had to go.

I do seem to recall some threads saying that former owners were perfectly welcome here, though.
Cormanus_imp said:
I've really enjoyed VLJ's journey thus far and, more to the point, the discussion it has provoked. However, when it comes down to it the issue at the heart of the matter is not so much the bike as VLJ's personality which leads to his riding in a particular way. He loves the CB1100 EX and wants to believe that it would be a good for him if he could buy one, slow down and enjoy it. That may well be true. I don't know. Others of us seem to think his character will lead him inevitably to disappointment as the bike fails to meet the needs of the way he will be driven to ride.

Buy the bike, VLJ, and share your journey with us. As you've said, if it doesn't work out and your inner speed demon wins the fight, at least you'll have tried and we'll get to hear about the battle.

Ulvetanna, I also hope you land on a 2017 CB1100EX and share your journey with us. Even though you may not believe it, there are those of us who would like to know whether, if tinkered with and ridden in a sporting manner, it delivers satisfaction.
Lol, thank you, sir!

I think I did that with my 2013, but can assure you that I have at least one active riding buddy who's modded his similarly to mine; he's a club racer and loves the classic I4's. Whenever I talk to him about his bike, he always talks about how he's able to surprise the daylights out guys on pure supersports.

Yep, there are a few of us out there.

We'll see what this year brings; I gotta have another look at that 2017EX.

Thanks again.;)
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I'm gonna do you a favor here VLJ.

Ready?


Buy the dang bike.
Lol! I would like to know what the Ferret had to edit out, though...
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
This kind of thread reminds me how passionate we are about motorcycles. That's a good thing.
Hear, hear, sir! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have not been trying to change anyone's opinion about their motorcycle. But there has been a great deal of feeling expressed here recently. A bit of hash has been slung, and a barb or two. That's expected.

However, it's the most animated and interesting discussion about the CB1100 I've seen since I started visiting the site.

So that's a neat thing.

The extra helping of character analysis, not so much, but I can take the pepper as long as there's a bit of salt.
Frulk_imp said:
After reading this threads 5 pages of fairly interesting comments and taking their multiple pro and con points into consideration nothing changed the opinion I had beforehand: I REALLY, REALLY like my almost bone stock 2013 CB1100.
That really emphasizes the true irony of the goal of increasing the activity and post count.

In the last few weeks some folks have put a sincere effort into increasing the conversation level, but at the same time, some have expressed sentiments that much ado about nothing is a bad thing.

The lesson here is that post count, word count, and character count don't define quality.

That task was better left to Robert Pirsig, lol.

By the way, I REALLY, REALLY, liked my 2013 CB1100. But I LOVE my 2015 ZX10R and Z900R.

I don't have an aircraft hangar to store bikes, nor the funds, or I'd get a place next to Jay Leno's.

There just wasn't room enough for all of 'em, so the CB1100 had to go.

I do seem to recall some threads saying that former owners were perfectly welcome here, though.
Cormanus_imp said:
I've really enjoyed VLJ's journey thus far and, more to the point, the discussion it has provoked. However, when it comes down to it the issue at the heart of the matter is not so much the bike as VLJ's personality which leads to his riding in a particular way. He loves the CB1100 EX and wants to believe that it would be a good for him if he could buy one, slow down and enjoy it. That may well be true. I don't know. Others of us seem to think his character will lead him inevitably to disappointment as the bike fails to meet the needs of the way he will be driven to ride.

Buy the bike, VLJ, and share your journey with us. As you've said, if it doesn't work out and your inner speed demon wins the fight, at least you'll have tried and we'll get to hear about the battle.

Ulvetanna, I also hope you land on a 2017 CB1100EX and share your journey with us. Even though you may not believe it, there are those of us who would like to know whether, if tinkered with and ridden in a sporting manner, it delivers satisfaction.
Lol, thank you, sir!

I think I did that with my 2013, but can assure you that I have at least one active riding buddy who's modded his similarly to mine; he's a club racer and loves the classic I4's. Whenever I talk to him about his bike, he always talks about how he's able to surprise the daylights out guys on pure supersports.

Yep, there are a few of us out there.

We'll see what this year brings; I gotta have another look at that 2017EX.

Thanks again.;)
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I'm gonna do you a favor here VLJ.

Ready?


Buy the dang bike.
Lol! I would like to know what the Ferret had to edit out, though...
Hear, hear, sir! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have not been trying to change anyone's opinion about their motorcycle. But there has been a great deal of feeling expressed here recently. A bit of hash has been slung, and a barb or two. That's expected.

However, it's the most animated and interesting discussion about the CB1100 I've seen since I started visiting the site.

So that's a neat thing.

The extra helping of character analysis, not so much, but I can take the pepper as long as there's a bit of salt.
I'll be honest Ultevanna, I didn't see anything wrong/offensive in any of your comments.

I particularly liked the one about a "skills section". I have been riding continuously without break since 1986 but as almost the entirety of that riding has been in isolation I don't consider myself to be a particularly skilled rider. I don't watch racing, read many magazines or ride with many people. In fact my main riding partner (who lives 1000 miles away now) was much less skilled than I and couldn't keep up to my '03 HD Nighttrain in the twisties on his '04 Z1000.

For the most part I don't even know what you guys are talking about most of the time - what the heck is drive line lash??
 
Back
Top