2014 CB1100 Salvage title

At least you got a Salvage title. I bought a Junking Certificate Title; about three clicks below a Salvage - with minor damage. Instrument cluster chassis was cracked so I ordered a new set of plastics off of ebay for $100. Used the core and rear plastic cover, replaced the metal cup with a Honda unit. Done (the rest of the plastics in the kit were pretty low quality). Had a muffler on hand. Bought new handle bar weights. New RH case. New brake lever. Looks like new.

Getting a title was an interesting task as right on the Junking Certificate it say that after 2 weeks another title WILL NOT BE ASSIGNED. Arizona (as well as most states) honored that statement. Turns out you have choices. Like Montana. Or California (two confirmed states, not sure about others but there are more). Took four trips to California but now I have a clean title (really should be a revived Salvage title but I think a clerk messed up). The bike was in too nice of shape to pass up or melt down. Less than 3K miles on her too!

These bikes seem to depreciate so much with such a low demand for them that in my ever so humble opinion salvage title or not, they hold little value after a few years. May as well hold on to them and ride 'em. I was going to flip mine but she is such a sweet ride that unless someone really wants it I think I'm going to keep her. At least for a while. The 2013 has a fairing on her, so having a naked bike so I have a choice of faired or clean bike to ride is kinda cool.

It's also pretty neat to have such a great bike at a fire sale price. Lot's of value for the dollar.
 
Congrats and enjoy Honda Fan!:biker:

Your thread pique my curiosity to what happened to my first CB1100, which was totaled by the insurance company. I found the VIN and goggled it. Found it was auctioned off during October, 2017 with a salvage title. Who ever got that bike got a good one.
2014 HONDA CB1100 https://www.copart.com/lot/28641707/Photos
BTW: my insurance is less expensive living a few miles upstate of NYC. I pay $216 per year for full coverage for my CB1100. That does not include my extra liability coverage provided by my Umbrella liability policy.
Best of luck with your CB!
 
Did you recieve any keys? I had duplicate flat keys made off my original at Mr Lock for $4.00 each.
 
Rboe_imp said:
At least you got a Salvage title. I bought a Junking Certificate Title; about three clicks below a Salvage - with minor damage. Instrument cluster chassis was cracked so I ordered a new set of plastics off of ebay for $100. Used the core and rear plastic cover, replaced the metal cup with a Honda unit. Done (the rest of the plastics in the kit were pretty low quality). Had a muffler on hand. Bought new handle bar weights. New RH case. New brake lever. Looks like new.

Getting a title was an interesting task as right on the Junking Certificate it say that after 2 weeks another title WILL NOT BE ASSIGNED. Arizona (as well as most states) honored that statement. Turns out you have choices. Like Montana. Or California (two confirmed states, not sure about others but there are more). Took four trips to California but now I have a clean title (really should be a revived Salvage title but I think a clerk messed up). The bike was in too nice of shape to pass up or melt down. Less than 3K miles on her too!

These bikes seem to depreciate so much with such a low demand for them that in my ever so humble opinion salvage title or not, they hold little value after a few years. May as well hold on to them and ride 'em. I was going to flip mine but she is such a sweet ride that unless someone really wants it I think I'm going to keep her. At least for a while. The 2013 has a fairing on her, so having a naked bike so I have a choice of faired or clean bike to ride is kinda cool.

It's also pretty neat to have such a great bike at a fire sale price. Lot's of value for the dollar.
Sadly, a week ago I stepped into a Kawasaki dealership and talked about the industry in general. The dealer was not taking trade-ins for any bike. They say most are not worth anything to them, and even the top-shelf super sports are dimes on the dollar. They used to take trades, but industry demand is hurtin', it is just not HD, but everyone. Hence, their sales take somewhat of a hit because they want buyers straight up - which appear to be hard to find. All the dealers I have visited in the past three months suggest to all their clients to keep their rides, or sell privately. One may think it is the season, but they say it is rather the current state of the industry ... at least up here.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Did you recieve any keys? I had duplicate flat keys made off my original at Mr Lock for $4.00 each.
I got one key with the bike. I’m not sure if these bikes are chipped and new key needing to be programmed after cutting them. Can anyone advise?
 
They’re only chipped if you have the HISS. We don’t get it in the United States.
 
Thread starter
Took it out for a short ride as it’s freezing outside and ran into my first problem. Crank case center bolt cap is leaking oil at a pretty good rate. Ordered new cap and o ring. Hopefully it solves the leak if not will order new crank case cover. But I do have to admit it certainly no rocket as 1100cc would have people think.
 
Luckily the cases are reasonably priced. Case savers will not protect them from scratches and such but they should prevent things like holes being ground in them. Or leaking oil from caps. :)

The bike, while no rocket (It's a Buick, not a Boss 302!) it does change get more exciting if you play in the upper rpm range. Not its' strong suit, but it can be fun. Especially if the tires and rider are up to it. But really, that is not what the bike is about.
 
Thread starter
One thing I can say for sure of all forums I’ve been a member on this one has a lot of activity and is much friendlier to newcomers. I’m sure it’s a treasure trove of information that I will be exploring in a near future. Now if anyone has a promo code for some 4into4 pipe master pipes I’d be in paradise.
 
Honda_Fan_imp said:
Took it out for a short ride as it’s freezing outside and ran into my first problem. Crank case center bolt cap is leaking oil at a pretty good rate. Ordered new cap and o ring. Hopefully it solves the leak if not will order new crank case cover. But I do have to admit it certainly no rocket as 1100cc would have people think.

Nope not a rocket, but not a slug either. Horsepower ( close to 90) and torque ( 65 ft lbs?) are very linear and propel the motorcycle along at a good pace. It's a very fun and satisfying motorcycle to ride once you realize it's intended mission, which is simply to go out for a ride and enjoy yourself. You can't outrun even a 600 cc sportbike with it, so there is no sense in even trying, much less anything larger. In it's class though, it's a jewel, it's class being air cooled retros. Compared to a V7 Guzzi, a W650 or 800 Kawasaki, a pre 2016 Triumph Bonneville, a Royal Enfield Bullet, the new Royal Enfield 650, the Yamaha SR400 single, it's simply a superior motorcycle. The BMW 9T has a little more power but costs a whole lot more, initially and for service.

Nope the CB 1100 is just a great all around motorcycle. Many here after owning one, will tell you it's the best motorcycle they have ever owned.

But no, it's no rocket.
 
I will add to Ferret's value, if fun factor is what you are seeking, the CB can to a point and quite reliably. However, meter it - you will lose sprints in the end all else being equal. But, it is above average on take off and it is fun, and heavy. Fellow riders keep remarking keeping up with the CB on initial take-off is challenging. Fun aside, for its weight and engine displacement size, fuel economy is very good. The engine rarely complains unless subjected to extreme traffic congestion on a humid windless day, and even then, it fairs well.
 
I've seen and heard one of the four into fours in person. Ufdah, very very nice! I think the owner has moved on and I have not seen it in about a year. I would not sacrifice the center stand for one though. Rumor has it one of the flavors lets you keep it. If you find a coupon don't tell me. I can't afford one yet...... :D
 
Back
Top