2013s vs newer?

MrGood_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
So I've read the history/development page and see quite a few mentions of the "refinements" beginning on 2014 bikes. Can anyone elaborate on these, and is there a section here that list vendors and sources for aftermarket parts, etc?
 
You did read this thread in the history right? 2014 CB1100s in the USA

The '13 looks like the red bike on the forum banner. I guess the main difference is the '13 has a 5 speed transmission and no fuel computer, just fuel quantity, 2 trip meters and the odo.

The '14 is black has a 6 speed (and you can read the rest on the thread), unless you get the DLX which is red and has dual exhaust, among other things, which was limited and now next to impossible to find.

We never really got a list of vendors going. The main one is Samurider.com and japan.webike.net/ There are lots of suppliers for stuff now that weren't avail. back in '13. Depending on what you want, either use the search function or just ask! :)
 
Thread starter
Very nice, I didn't see that until now. Is there at least a fuel light on the 13s I'd hope? Can't wait to get one! I'm up here in the North, is there ever any rides locally (VA area)?
 
You know, I don't know. I never let my fuel get that low. The gauge is a series of blocks. As fuel is used, the blocks turn off. When it gets real low, the last one blinks. If you search around, there is a LOT of discussion on the fuel gauge operation, especially on the '14s as they are different, having the fuel computer.

There are only a couple of us known to be in the Norfolk area, but there are some guys up by DC who get together sometime. There is a ride section on here and you could feel free to ask! I have never even seen another CB in the wild.
 
Thread starter
Ok I see, thanks a ton for the info PG, I'll see you around at some point! Ride safe, shiny side up.
 
MrGood, I don't think there's a fuel light on the 2013 as it's pretty much the same as my 2011 which doesn't have one. As the learned popgun says, there's an indicator which, after it's been showing only the last block for a bit, starts flashing. The general consensus seems to be that it usually starts flashing a good while before the tank is completely empty.

Jeffskar deliberately ran his 2013 out of petrol recently and reports on it here.

I'd say only that I'd like a bigger tank but that it could always have gone a bit further than I expected.
 
And as usual, Cormanus is correct. There is no low fuel light on the 2013s. Just the flashing bar.
 
The fuel status gets ticked off as the block disappear. The last one will start to blink when you have about a gallon left, as popgun mentioned above. Not as obvious as a blinking red light, but does tend to grab your eye when you look at the instruments (which you should do to monitor things like speed, signals, etc.).
 
Rboe_imp said:
The fuel status gets ticked off as the block disappear. The last one will start to blink when you have about a gallon left, as popgun mentioned above. Not as obvious as a blinking red light, but does tend to grab your eye when you look at the instruments (which you should do to monitor things like speed, signals, etc.).
Rboe, that's interesting. On my 2011 model, when the last bar starts flashing it actually turns red. Can't remember whether it alternates black and red, but there's certainly a red flash in there. It's still not as obvious as a red bulb blinking at you.
 
The last bar also blinks red on my 2013. I believe it starts out blinking black then turns red as the fuel level becomes lower. They're probably all like that. You guys probably filled up before it got low enough to turn red.

I didn't run it down purposely, I was stuck at work past midnight and don't generally ride highways at that time of night and was taking secondary roads home and trying to find a gas station still open.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
The last bar also blinks red on my 2013. I believe it starts out blinking black then turns red as the fuel level becomes lower. They're probably all like that. You guys probably filled up before it got low enough to turn red.

I didn't run it down purposely, I was stuck at work past midnight and don't generally ride highways at that time of night and was taking secondary roads home and trying to find a gas station still open.
I think you are just seeing the red E.

New photo · Friday, Jan 30, 2015 📸
 
I've never noticed any red on my fuel gauge. Even running it to empty. I thought it was a monochrome display.
 
Oh dear, I do wish I could go for a ride to check that I'm right. *sigh*
 
Randy B_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
The last bar also blinks red on my 2013. I believe it starts out blinking black then turns red as the fuel level becomes lower. They're probably all like that. You guys probably filled up before it got low enough to turn red.

I didn't run it down purposely, I was stuck at work past midnight and don't generally ride highways at that time of night and was taking secondary roads home and trying to find a gas station still open.
I think you are just seeing the red E.

New photo · Friday, Jan 30, 2015 📸
I think you are just seeing the red E.

New photo · Friday, Jan 30, 2015 📸
Now I'm not sure....:huh:
 
FWIW, there is no mention of a blinking RED bar in the US 2013 owners manual or the service manual. Both just mention blinking.

This is not to question Cormanus' 2011 CB. It might be different.
 
I checked the only manual I have which I downloaded and it makes no mention of the colour. Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm right.
 
You're a good man, Ferret. Many thanks.
 
Back
Top