2013 vs 2017

VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
baxtercat_imp said:
Totally agree, MTC. to the OP's question: no, I don't think the 2017 has gone in the wrong direction, if those extra 20 pounds make no difference to the handling.
Reminds me of that line from the movie Seabiscuit, when the 100 ib. jockey played by Tobey Mcguire gets on to ride: "He's a 1200 pound horse, Sam. I'm an afterthought."
Suspension and powertrain are refined to the degree where the weight is masked. Some of the weight is fuel, too, about six pounds.

I want one.

But no one has a '17 near me. Gonna wait and see if Honda bring in the RS.
To test ride? Or to purchase?

I don't recall where you live, but if all you need is a test ride to get you off the fence, hey, what comes around goes around. Just as Eric helped me out, I would be happy to let you take an all-day test ride on my new '17.

Quote:Gonna wait and see if Honda bring in the RS.
Thought you'd pretty much decided that you don't see any real advantage to the RS, so you were going to stick with the cheaper, more comfortable, easier steering EX?
To test ride? Or to purchase?

I don't recall where you live, but if all you need is a test ride to get you off the fence, hey, what comes around goes around. Just as Eric helped me out, I would be happy to let you take an all-day test ride on my new '17.

Quote:Gonna wait and see if Honda bring in the RS.
Thought you'd pretty much decided that you don't see any real advantage to the RS, so you were going to stick with the cheaper, more comfortable, easier steering EX? Correct, EX all the way! I'm a long haul from your area, but do appreciate the offer!
 
A riding buddy once complained about a later model gaining a few extra lbs at a bike show..Unfortunately, he made the comment in front of his wife, who i swear patted his stomach and said “just like you, honey”

I near died from laughing

After than I quit worrying about bike weight. While it’s nice to say new models should be better, better isn’t always lighter..
 
I'd feel sorry for you, but next year (or this year) aren't you going to be able to import individual bikes?

You'll not only have access to the CB1100, but also bikes that we never see in North America like the CB1300 and CB400SF.
 
LOL. I feel the same way, Bheezy. Actually, about both the 400 and the 1300. Frustrating that we can't have them here. Still, I'd rather talk about those bikes and why they should be in the US than talk about the Kawi Z900RS ad nauseam
 
We’ve had both the CB400 and the CB1300 in the past. No more.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
LOL. I feel the same way, Bheezy. Actually, about both the 400 and the 1300. Frustrating that we can't have them here. Still, I'd rather talk about those bikes and why they should be in the US than talk about the Kawi Z900RS ad nauseam
:beerchug::thumbsup:
 
VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
baxtercat_imp said:
Totally agree, MTC. to the OP's question: no, I don't think the 2017 has gone in the wrong direction, if those extra 20 pounds make no difference to the handling.
Reminds me of that line from the movie Seabiscuit, when the 100 ib. jockey played by Tobey Mcguire gets on to ride: "He's a 1200 pound horse, Sam. I'm an afterthought."
Suspension and powertrain are refined to the degree where the weight is masked. Some of the weight is fuel, too, about six pounds.

I want one.

But no one has a '17 near me. Gonna wait and see if Honda bring in the RS.
To test ride? Or to purchase?

I don't recall where you live, but if all you need is a test ride to get you off the fence, hey, what comes around goes around. Just as Eric helped me out, I would be happy to let you take an all-day test ride on my new '17.

Quote:Gonna wait and see if Honda bring in the RS.
Thought you'd pretty much decided that you don't see any real advantage to the RS, so you were going to stick with the cheaper, more comfortable, easier steering EX?
Well, HELLOOOOO, neighbor!
 
VLJ_imp said:
Need a test ride, pdedse?
Haha...oh, I need one....AND me being in OR, we are neighbors. Today it's drizzlying like we're never going to see the sun again, so just the idea of riding on a new '17 in the sunshine...yeah, I DO need a test ride.

I'm going to say that "I'm between CB1100s" right now. After all your input of late, I'm starting to think my 1 month old Street Twin may not last till the end of the year...dealers around here haven't advertised anything less than msrp on the CBs yet.
 
The dealership where I bought my bike didn't advertise the price I paid. I made him an offer over the phone, we haggled for a couple of minutes, and he agreed to my offer.

It's worth a try.
 
It's a bit surprising he'd be willing to negotiate in good faith and give you a firm pricing commitment over the phone. I've not found dealers willing to do that. Instead, it's, "Come on down to the shop and we'll see what we can do." Very glad it worked out for you.
 
Now that it is winter in North America and the 2017 EX is last year's model, it should be easier to negotiate a better deal. Once the 2018 model is advertised, Honda usually follows with a $1,000 discount on previous models.

When I decided to return to motorcycling in December 2013, I watched for ads from dealers in my area on the Internet. Many dealers sell snowmobiles in the winter and they discount motorcycles to free up space in their showrooms.

I printed off an ad that had a great discount and brought it with me to my local dealer. During the show and tell the salesperson mentioned they would match anyone else's price. When I showed him the ad he blanched. It took him 15 minutes in the manager's office, but I got my deal.
 
Nortoon, I tried that method with my local dealer. I showed him the $9,999 advertised price from Temple City Honda.

"If they want to lose money, let 'em. I'm not going to do that. This thing will sell eventually," was his response, so I took off and bought it elsewhere.

LongRanger, I'm sure that part of the reason the other dealer accepted my offer over the phone was that I allowed him to do all the financing over the phone, as well. He knew I was a serious buyer, and also that I was serious about sticking to my guns, price-wise. It probably also helped that it was a rainy winter day, and he likely hasn't sold much recently.
 
I have a feeling a rainy winter day is different where you live than where I live lol.
 
I would imagine that as badly as streetbike sales are affected by rain and crappy winter weather here, it has to be orders of magnitude worse in Ohio, or anywhere that snows a lot. I'm guessing that's why we always see the craziest low prices from Wisconsin and North Dakota dealers, long before those types of deals start showing up in warmer markets.
 
yea, all my dealer sells this time of the year is 4 wheelers and side by sides. Nobody thinks about street bikes here from Oct until March or April at the earliest, then it goes crazy for a few months. There were days when I worked in the industry that we wouldn't have a single customer come in all day in the winter.
 
Well then, in honor of all the people in Snow Country that can't or won't ride this time of year, I think I'll take advantage of our perfectly clear winter's evening here in NoCal and go take the CB out for her first night ride. I just gave her a thorough bath after she was rained on the two times I've ridden her so far, and I'm eager to see how well that LED headlight works in pitch-black darkness.
 
Take an allen with you so you can adjust it if necessary.

We are supposed to get more snow on Monday then again on Thursday. I'd like to get in 4 more days and another 200 miles in before the month ends.
 
Back
Top