2013 vs 2017

rboe

Road warrior
Thread starter
Not really seriously considering a 2017, but I was caught drooling over one the other day and the dealer shot me a quote of $12,900 out the door.

But the darn thing weighs 562 lbs, about 20lbs more than my '13 - we're going in the wrong direction here.

So. Anyone here with experience on both bikes care to comment?
 
An extra exhaust pipe, double-walled headers, an extra transmission gear, ABS, stainless spokes on alloy wheels, and a larger, seamless gas tank that holds more fuel, increasing the curb weight that much more?

Yep, twenty lbs sounds about right. On the plus side, it's still lighter than the '14 Deluxe while sounding cooler and making a bit more power than any stock '13 or '14.
 
VLJ_imp said:
An extra exhaust pipe, double-walled headers, an extra transmission gear, ABS, stainless spokes on alloy wheels, and a larger, seamless gas tank that holds more fuel, increasing the curb weight that much more?

Yep, twenty lbs sounds about right. On the plus side, it's still lighter than the '14 Deluxe while sounding cooler and making a bit more power than any stock '13 or '14.
I'd like to find out the difference. 562 lbs. is what the service manual indicates.
 
562 lbs for which one, Ulvetanna?
 
2017
and a slip-clutch.(easyer going clutchlever)....LED-lights.....

alluminium chain and side cover
chrome rpm/odo cups...


what cares me the weight....:biker:...:hello:
 
I have both 2013 ABS and 2017 , prefer the 2017 for many reasons.
To me the 2014 DLX I have is the best looking one because of the all silver engine.
 
So, the 17 is the best one to ride?
 
I haven't had my 2013 that long, and love it, but had an opportunity to test ride the 2017ex last month and compare. To be honest, the impetus was as much esthetic than functional: I like the spokes ( but not tubes), the tank, the engine color and the dual exhaust, and wouldn't mind the extra gear and the ABS. But I wasn't really in the market to trade up, just yet. I went in expecting the ride to be the same. It was subtly but noticeably improved. The new suspension makes the bike feel more settled and planted, and eats up bumps better; the seat was comfy and the gearbox and clutch even smoother than on my 2013, which was already pretty dang smooth. Admittedly, this was a dealership's bike, so I didn't have it long enough to really test out the seat, 6th gear, or the upper RPM range etc--Houtman will have better info here. Difficult to say whether it is better enough to justify the expense over trade-in, but now there's a question hanging over me that wasn't there before. I didn't realize the new bike was heavier--I certainly couldn't feel 20 pounds difference either still or moving though.
 
I certainly hope that the 2017 model is better than the 2013. Aesthetically, I prefer my 2013 to any of the subsequent models, but Honda should be making real, if not always significant, improvements to every bike whenever they decide to touch that bike's design.
Yes... I know that manufacturers sometimes just make minor cosmetic changes. I don't view that as "touching the design"
 
Totally agree, MTC. to the OP's question: no, I don't think the 2017 has gone in the wrong direction, if those extra 20 pounds make no difference to the handling.
Reminds me of that line from the movie Seabiscuit, when the 100 ib. jockey played by Tobey Mcguire gets on to ride: "He's a 1200 pound horse, Sam. I'm an afterthought."
 
baxtercat_imp said:
Totally agree, MTC. to the OP's question: no, I don't think the 2017 has gone in the wrong direction, if those extra 20 pounds make no difference to the handling.
Reminds me of that line from the movie Seabiscuit, when the 100 ib. jockey played by Tobey Mcguire gets on to ride: "He's a 1200 pound horse, Sam. I'm an afterthought."
Suspension and powertrain are refined to the degree where the weight is masked. Some of the weight is fuel, too, about six pounds.

I want one.

But no one has a '17 near me. Gonna wait and see if Honda bring in the RS.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I certainly hope that the 2017 model is better than the 2013. Aesthetically, I prefer my 2013 to any of the subsequent models, but Honda should be making real, if not always significant, improvements to every bike whenever they decide to touch that bike's design.
Yes... I know that manufacturers sometimes just make minor cosmetic changes. I don't view that as "touching the design"
I too would hope that the 2017 is an improvement on the 2013 in many ways, even if to my eye looks is not one of them. But looks are subjective, so that's a non-issue for anyone that prefers the looks of the 2017. The front forks sound like a nice improvement. I've been happy with the stock suspension on the 2013 given my weight and the way I ride. Still I can certainly appreciate the upgrades in this area. If I were going to address suspension then I'd add emulators to the front and change out the rear shocks.

What I do have a hard time accepting is the weight gain. Just as with myself, if anything I'd still rather my CB shed more weight as opposed to gaining more. The bike is more than stable enough for me out on the road so I personally can't justify adding more weight. As with my Staintune swap, I'd rather future updates decrease the overall weight of the bike. I suppose that's the case with my seat and bar swap as well even if the differences are minor. But I'm guessing that guys that are taller and/or weigh more than myself probably have a different set of priorities. Guys that want to ride the bike harder would probably still appreciate less overall weight but benefit from the suspension changes so that's a bit of a push.

If I really wanted to change the way my CB feels from a performance standpoint then I'd add a PCV to the bike in addition to putting it on even more of a diet. But I've often stated (and definitely still maintain) that one of the biggest reasons for buying this bike is the looks. If you like the way the various components that contribute to the additional weight of the 2017 look and don't mind the overall weight of the bike, then it's a win in my book plain and simple. I know that many don't care as much for the look of the CB1100 as it was originally designed and were possibly wanting to capture more of a different specific look from the past. If the 2017 EX accomplishes this for you and you like everything else that the CB1100 stands for then that would be reason enough to buy one in my opinion.
 
Certainly I believe the 2017 has marked mechanical improvements over the 2013 model. Aesthetically, I believe the 2017 EX is really more of an evolution of the 2014 DLX and 2014-2016 EX models sold elsewhere. While I am hopeful and optimistic the RS version will come to America eventually, I wasn't going to hold my breath waiting. Thus, I seriously considered purchasing a 2017 EX.... but wire wheels and tubed tires are a deal breaker for me.

Recently decided to purchase a low mile 2014 DLX for what I thought was a great value price. I figure I can spend money to customize and personalize and achieve more personal satisfaction while coming out ahead monetarily over buying a '17 EX.
 
I haven't seen any used 17 EX's for sale anywhere yet.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
baxtercat_imp said:
Totally agree, MTC. to the OP's question: no, I don't think the 2017 has gone in the wrong direction, if those extra 20 pounds make no difference to the handling.
Reminds me of that line from the movie Seabiscuit, when the 100 ib. jockey played by Tobey Mcguire gets on to ride: "He's a 1200 pound horse, Sam. I'm an afterthought."
Suspension and powertrain are refined to the degree where the weight is masked. Some of the weight is fuel, too, about six pounds.

I want one.

But no one has a '17 near me. Gonna wait and see if Honda bring in the RS.
To test ride? Or to purchase?

I don't recall where you live, but if all you need is a test ride to get you off the fence, hey, what comes around goes around. Just as Eric helped me out, I would be happy to let you take an all-day test ride on my new '17.

Quote:Gonna wait and see if Honda bring in the RS.
Thought you'd pretty much decided that you don't see any real advantage to the RS, so you were going to stick with the cheaper, more comfortable, easier steering EX?
 
Back
Top