2013 CB1100 Rear Shocks - Adjustable KYB Reservoir shocks - CHEAP!

pekingduck

Road warrior
Thread starter
My complaint about the stock shocks has been a little too much initial compression harshness. I've had Ohlins on other bikes, and they can be plush and firm at the same time, if adjusted properly (or terrible if not adjusted right).

Anyway, I wouldn't spend the money for Ohlins or Works Performance here, and really don't trust the sub-$100 adjustable Chinese copycat Ohlins, although they may be fine. The stock 2017 RS shocks are over $700 each retail AND have no dampening adjustments.

The circa-2000 Kawasaki ZRX1200R (Lawson Replica replicas) came with adjustable-damping attached-reservoir Kayabas (KYB) of the same length. I took a chance and bought a used pair off eBay for $200 plus shipping. All in at $250. I re-painted the springs and re-plated the adjuster hardware, changed the lower bushings, and bolted them on.

On my bike, for some reason, the silver grab handle on the right was a lot lower than the left - maybe 8mm. (The forward nut may have been welded a bit lower.) I had to grind away about 8mm of aluminum off the bottom for clearance. When fully compressed, the shock reservoir will angle up a bit, so it needs 4-5mm more to be safe.

I initially mounted them with the reservoirs facing forward, which looked and worked fine, but blocked seat lock key access.

I settled on the compression damping knob at 2 and the compression wheel at "III", and it feels fine, without the stock shocks' harshness when hitting tar strips or freeway section gaps.
 
Hopefully you won't run in to the problem I had with those grab rails. I installed some Ohlins fully adjustable shocks on my cb1100 and noticed the rail interference on the right side too. And I also ground down the grab rail as much as I could. I eventually realized that the reason is that the left side shock mounts are further out on the left side of the bike to clear the chain. I had about an eighth inch gap between my rails and the shock adjustment knob on the reservoir. I thought it would be fine. A month later I noticed oil all over the right side of my rear wheel. The grab rail had crushed the shock adjuster under riding load. I had ridden some with a passenger and I assume it happened then or on a hard bump somewhere. I had to get both shocks serviced and the valves replaced. Mine are under gas pressure so I just inverted them. Someone on the forum pointed out that the old cb1100's had their rear shocks mounted that way. When the sag is set correctly they are an amazing improvement.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f9bf754f8917ab1bea7277acc5f2f971.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
chync dateli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[hr' Wrote:
chync_imp said:





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chync, Thanks for your observation. The left shock is a little farther outboard. The adjusters on my shocks are out of the way, but I double checked clearance as compressed as I could, and a little more clearance would be more comforting.

Now, the real question is, how and where did you get that tank for your 2014?
 
Thread starter
Chync,

Thanks again for your warning on clearance for that right shock.
No matter how much I ground, I couldn't get enough clearance. Decided to put it back to how I had it originally, reservoirs forward, and "clearanced" the key instead. Actually, I usually have house key bolted to the ignition key anyway, so I don't have a cluster of them over the switch. All is good now.
 
pekingduck

Creative solution with the key. I had considered doing something like that myself or possibly trying to move the seat release latch. Not sure if my Ohlins are any bigger than your shock reservoir. Is the key access difficult with your shocks installed that way?
 
Thread starter
chync_imp said:
pekingduck

Creative solution with the key. I had considered doing something like that myself or possibly trying to move the seat release latch. Not sure if my Ohlins are any bigger than your shock reservoir. Is the key access difficult with your shocks installed that way?
The key clearance was tight, so I have to pull on the reservoir and it moves on its bushings. I didn't love it, not an elegant solution, so I used the BFM (brute force method) on the lock and gently tweaked the bracket. It took just a little pressure to bend the bracket a couple degrees ad improve the angle. The plastic now has a slight gap that I can easily live with, and may have been there before anyway. (See the red arrow in pic).
 
Where is the 12 lb sledge? My other favorite persuader.

First time I see an advantage to that long skinny key I hate so much!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
Where is the 12 lb sledge? My other favorite persuader.

First time I see an advantage to that long skinny key I hate so much!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
What do you think I'm beating the crescent wrench with?
 
I haven't heard if this happens to anyone else but that long skinny key bends in my pocket. I bought a 2017 tank and it comes with a modern key. I'm thinking about switching out the ignition lock now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Lol mine has never bent in my pocket.
 
Ferret, he is probably young and wears those tight skinny jeans :)
 
Oh yea.. I'm old, wear baggy jeans. Could probably stick a roll of aluminum foil in my pocket without it bending lol

Some members have bent their keys in the helmet/seat lock while puttng their bikes on the centerstand
 
Back
Top