2013 CB 1100AD = Silver engine

Now this is getting interesting. How did the owner bring it here? Poor guy must have spent a ton of cash on this bike and you got a heck of a deal.

Love this bike!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Yikes! I always wondered how you got that silver engine on a '13 model.

Like Elipten, I also wonder what the story behind it is. Jumping through the DOT and EPA hoops to import a non-USA model typically costs thousands in tests and modifications, not to mention weeks of waiting. Hard to imagine that anyone would go through all that to get a bike that is essentially the same as the one sold in the U.S. (except for the engine color).

Just for grins, would you mind posting the model number from the VIN? (digits 4-8). It should be SC65x. In the U.S. a '13 model ABS would be SC655 and non-ABS would be SC651. A Euro spec model should have a different letter or number after the basic SC65 model number. (Yes, I'm kind of a numbers geek).

Edit : Your color code indicates it was originally a Candy Glory Red bike (the fastest color :) )
 
In the U.K. they came with all-silver engines.

Man, I bet there's an interesting story behind that bike's geographic and stylistic journeys.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Yikes! I always wondered how you got that silver engine on a '13 model.

Like Elipten, I also wonder what the story behind it is. Jumping through the DOT and EPA hoops to import a non-USA model typically costs thousands in tests and modifications, not to mention weeks of waiting. Hard to imagine that anyone would go through all that to get a bike that is essentially the same as the one sold in the U.S. (except for the engine color).

Just for grins, would you mind posting the model number from the VIN? (digits 4-8). It should be SC65x. In the U.S. a '13 model ABS would be SC655 and non-ABS would be SC651. A Euro spec model should have a different letter or number after the basic SC65 model number. (Yes, I'm kind of a numbers geek).

Edit : Your color code indicates it was originally a Candy Glory Red bike (the fastest color :) )
Me too! I'm very curious.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Yikes! I always wondered how you got that silver engine on a '13 model.

Like Elipten, I also wonder what the story behind it is. Jumping through the DOT and EPA hoops to import a non-USA model typically costs thousands in tests and modifications, not to mention weeks of waiting. Hard to imagine that anyone would go through all that to get a bike that is essentially the same as the one sold in the U.S. (except for the engine color).

Just for grins, would you mind posting the model number from the VIN? (digits 4-8). It should be SC65x. In the U.S. a '13 model ABS would be SC655 and non-ABS would be SC651. A Euro spec model should have a different letter or number after the basic SC65 model number. (Yes, I'm kind of a numbers geek).

Edit : Your color code indicates it was originally a Candy Glory Red bike (the fastest color :) )
Me too! I'm very curious.
Me too! I'm very curious.
has 17 numbers and letters in the vin 3-10 are SC6556DK
all the AD models i have seen have sliver engines and 6 piston ABS brakes. , this engine would have required complete disassembly to paint perfectly which i do not think happened , it came this color

here is another one the color mine was and another black one. could be this was a very limited import
http://picclick.co.uk/Honda-CB1100-A-D-1-Owner-with-Datatag-162006859042.html
http://picclick.co.uk/Honda-Cb-1100-A-d-Black-182280714824.html
 
Cormanus...look at the side covers on the second one he posted. Hint hint
 
use2b, does your bike have the HISS System installed? What are the last four letters of the VIN?
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus...look at the side covers on the second one he posted. Hint hint
Yeah ... they're good, aren't they? Pity I'm stingy. :)
 
now this will be interesting...
 
The EPA has a waiver for one time import of a non compliant vehicle, or used to. I'm sure California wouldn't let you register one as they have CARB and are zealots even on lawn mowers
 
How different is the engine and the emissions system really going to be? Is the USA so far ahead of a Europe and the U.K.?

I await your answers with interest..
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus...look at the side covers on the second one he posted. Hint hint

you have a sharp eye , does look like newer side covers .
description says it is a 13 model with three owners and only 2K+ miles .
crazy how fast people move away from these bikes after buying them.
have many questions and thoughts about my bike and came to the conclusion it ether a UK bike or they really did import a few A-D's

No HISS / last four - 0187
 
Cormanus_imp said:
How different is the engine and the emissions system really going to be? Is the USA so far ahead of a Europe and the U.K.?

I await your answers with interest..
It's more of a bureaucratic difference in standards and requirements and not just limited to emissions.

Emissions differences could require things like different ECU programming or vapor cannisters (and associated plumbing). Other requirements could be things like lighting standards, reflector placement, and other minor things.

I knew a guy that imported Euro and Asian market cars. It usually involved ECU reprogramming, lights, mirrors, gauges and other minor things that didn't make much difference in actual function, but were required to meet U.S. Dept. of Transportation and Environmental Protection Agency standards. Manufacturers go through an expensive process to develop a model that meets a big list of various U.S. government standards and regulations. When you import, you basically have to go through a similar process for each vehicle.
 
Thanks use2b. The Ferret was referring to the fact that my black 2011 CB has silver side covers and that I should get them sprayed black. We had a conversation about it somewhere the other day.

Thanks for the end of the VIN.

Meanwhile I remain slightly surprised that the eighth digit of the US VIN is the same as the European/UK ones. I'd have thought Honda might have used that to distinguish the bikes they send to different countries. For example, in Australia, the 8th digit is 'U'. Unless, of course, the process of registration in the US results in the issue of a new US VIN.

Could one of the UK members possible post digits 4-8 of their VIN and the year of their bike?

Thanks for the info on emissions, Flyn.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks use2b. The Ferret was referring to the fact that my black 2011 CB has silver side covers and that I should get them sprayed black. We had a conversation about it somewhere the other day.

Thanks for the end of the VIN.

Meanwhile I remain slightly surprised that the eighth digit of the US VIN is the same as the European/UK ones. I'd have thought Honda might have used that to distinguish the bikes they send to different countries. For example, in Australia, the 8th digit is 'U'. Unless, of course, the process of registration in the US results in the issue of a new US VIN.

Could one of the UK members possible post digits 4-8 of their VIN and the year of their bike?

Thanks for the info on emissions, Flyn.
I was just about to post the same request :D Honda typically uses the 8th digit to differentiate market specific models. I tried searching the web for a VIN that belonged to a '13 U.K. model, but had no luck.

If the '13 U.K. 8th digit was the same as the U.S. 8th digit, that would also mean that U.K. bikes would share the serial number sequence with U.S. bikes.
 
Thread starter
I would say it is just as possible that some " at least one " A-D Model was imported with the same engine color and brakes as the UK models.

so much about this bike is a mystery to me. the guy i bought it from got it at an estate auction with other bikes and parts from the widow of the builder. He told me from PA that he had a lot of recipes for parts including sprocket change etc but the paperwork never arrived and after i signed for the bikes arrival plus positive feedback i could no longer get any return contact from him. that is all i know about the bike.

I am very happy with the purchase as i look at it as I got this Premium 2013 bike for free if i paid for the accessories at a discounted price plus all assembly and labor for free.

sure draws a crowd everywhere i go as no one can figure out what it is.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks use2b. The Ferret was referring to the fact that my black 2011 CB has silver side covers and that I should get them sprayed black. We had a conversation about it somewhere the other day.

Thanks for the end of the VIN.

Meanwhile I remain slightly surprised that the eighth digit of the US VIN is the same as the European/UK ones. I'd have thought Honda might have used that to distinguish the bikes they send to different countries. For example, in Australia, the 8th digit is 'U'. Unless, of course, the process of registration in the US results in the issue of a new US VIN.

Could one of the UK members possible post digits 4-8 of their VIN and the year of their bike?

Thanks for the info on emissions, Flyn.
I was just about to post the same request :D Honda typically uses the 8th digit to differentiate market specific models. I tried searching the web for a VIN that belonged to a '13 U.K. model, but had no luck.

If the '13 U.K. 8th digit was the same as the U.S. 8th digit, that would also mean that U.K. bikes would share the serial number sequence with U.S. bikes.
I think that's unlikely, but there are so few UK bikes in the registry that I can't be sure.

use2b, there's been discussion in the past about the CB1100A-D designation. One of our members who works for a Honda dealer has explained when the CB1100 CB was released in 2010 it was designated the CB1100A. In 2011 it was the CB1100B; in 2012 the CB1100C. The ABS variant carried the additional designation of A so, in the previous examples, CB1100AA, CB1100AB and CB1100AC. The 'A', 'B', 'C' refers to the model year contained in the 10th digit of the VIN. In your case, that is a 'D'. For those members with 2014 bikes, the 10th letter will be an 'E' so the models will be CB1100D.

Anyway, even though all this is a bit esoteric, and riding is so much more fun, I'd still be interested in digits 4-8 of a UK CB1100.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks use2b. The Ferret was referring to the fact that my black 2011 CB has silver side covers and that I should get them sprayed black. We had a conversation about it somewhere the other day.

Thanks for the end of the VIN.

Meanwhile I remain slightly surprised that the eighth digit of the US VIN is the same as the European/UK ones. I'd have thought Honda might have used that to distinguish the bikes they send to different countries. For example, in Australia, the 8th digit is 'U'. Unless, of course, the process of registration in the US results in the issue of a new US VIN.

Could one of the UK members possible post digits 4-8 of their VIN and the year of their bike?

Thanks for the info on emissions, Flyn.
I was just about to post the same request :D Honda typically uses the 8th digit to differentiate market specific models. I tried searching the web for a VIN that belonged to a '13 U.K. model, but had no luck.

If the '13 U.K. 8th digit was the same as the U.S. 8th digit, that would also mean that U.K. bikes would share the serial number sequence with U.S. bikes.
I think that's unlikely, but there are so few UK bikes in the registry that I can't be sure.

use2b, there's been discussion in the past about the CB1100A-D designation. One of our members who works for a Honda dealer has explained when the CB1100 CB was released in 2010 it was designated the CB1100A. In 2011 it was the CB1100B; in 2012 the CB1100C. The ABS variant carried the additional designation of A so, in the previous examples, CB1100AA, CB1100AB and CB1100AC. The 'A', 'B', 'C' refers to the model year contained in the 10th digit of the VIN. In your case, that is a 'D'. For those members with 2014 bikes, the 10th letter will be an 'E' so the models will be CB1100D.

Anyway, even though all this is a bit esoteric, and riding is so much more fun, I'd still be interested in digits 4-8 of a UK CB1100.
I think that's unlikely, but there are so few UK bikes in the registry that I can't be sure.

use2b, there's been discussion in the past about the CB1100A-D designation. One of our members who works for a Honda dealer has explained when the CB1100 CB was released in 2010 it was designated the CB1100A. In 2011 it was the CB1100B; in 2012 the CB1100C. The ABS variant carried the additional designation of A so, in the previous examples, CB1100AA, CB1100AB and CB1100AC. The 'A', 'B', 'C' refers to the model year contained in the 10th digit of the VIN. In your case, that is a 'D'. For those members with 2014 bikes, the 10th letter will be an 'E' so the models will be CB1100D.

Anyway, even though all this is a bit esoteric, and riding is so much more fun, I'd still be interested in digits 4-8 of a UK CB1100. Thanks for the info , is confusing isn't it. I think the only time it will come into play is service or parts on the combined ABS or the larger brake calipers and pads, other than that i see no difference.
 
Back
Top