2013 6 Speed Upgrade - AKA 2014 DLX Sprocket Cover

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I ordered one of the polished alloy sprocket covers from the 2014 DLX for my 2013 since that black plastic cover was just so unsightly to me. As some of you know, only the top 2 mounting holes line up. It seems that most who have retrofitted this part to a 2013 leave the bottom bolt out or bolt it to the cover. I planned to do the same until I got it all bolted up and there was enough wiggle in the cover that it felt like the cover was going to rattle around.

So, I dug out of my bicycle parts bin a stainless steel bracket used for attaching a cargo rack to a bike. I cut a small section and Dremeled the slot so the factory bolt fit through and positioned it like so such that the bolt hole in the new cover lines up with the bracket.


The bottom of the cover is open so that you can fish a nut and washer on the back side of my bracket. Here it is all mounted up. Look, now it's a 6 speed!
[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150127_220506_zps7239b08a.jpg.html]

I need to get the bike out for some updated photos on my mods photo thread. Here you can see my newly installed TSR Sport Peg. I'll write about those later.
[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150127_221015_zps8cda8a3b.jpg.html]
 
I did mine when the 2014 DLX came out and it's been trouble free ever since. The aluminum cover is so much better looking than the plastic one.
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
I did mine when the 2014 DLX came out and it's been trouble free ever since. The aluminum cover is so much better looking than the plastic one.
Did you transfer the rubber grommets and shouldered inserts from the plastic cover to the aluminum cover? I did that and the grommets let the cover rock back and forth when held by the 2 bolts. The bottom of the cover was tapping against the mounting hole for the bottom hole on the plastic cover. I thought about removing the grommets and using some washers to fill the large holes which would keep the cover from wiggling around. Making the bracket was a few minute affair, so I went with that instead.
 
Back
Top