2001 CB prototype

spartanheed_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Apparently this picture was taken at the 2001 Tokyo Motorshow.

7841778e4ad9825c7ccb79f1388c459a.jpg


It looks a like a very similar bike to the 2009 CB1100 prototype.

c34ce3083e70e598e4b2e08aab3f34f1.jpg


Has anyone got any better pictures of the 2001 bike please?
 
Given the richness and variety of the CB's heritage I'm glad Honda took the approach that they did, combining elements of a number of previous models into a new distinct motorcycle rather than trying to recreate just one specific model. (Then again I dig the single exhaust.) Fortunately Whitehouse and various exhaust manufacturers filled the void for those really wanting something that looks more like a CB750.
 
The more I think about it, the more I think you're right, Guth. For me, the beauty of the CB is the combination of styling cues from the original CB750 and a thoroughly modern engine and brakes. I wish they'd been produced with a 4 into 4, but I seem to have got on pretty well wth the 4 into 1 over the past 5 and a bit years.
 
I have been looking at the CB1100, with a view to buying one, for so many years now and one of the reasons I haven't jumped until now is the styling. Whilst it is a very nice-looking 'bike (far more subtle than the retro BMW and Triumph) it is just that, only "nice". It could have been stunning.

I'm afraid Whitehouse-style is a sledgehammer to crack a nut - it is just a CB750 turned into a CB1100. Honda, IF they were going to make a "50th Anniversary Edition" would have done it much, much better.
Yes, I like the look of the standard CB1100. It's "nice". Yes, I like the look of the Whitehouse version better.
But who knows how stunning a "50th Anniversary Edition" from Honda's own design studio could have been, with Honda's own "four into fours", a bigger slab-sided tank, retro colours, and so on? :)
 
Back
Top