2 Years without an Oil Change

Bighonda14_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I spotted an available DLX that has under 600 miles on it, was purchased about 2 years ago, and has not yet had its initial oil change or any other service done to it. It's battery is on a charger and there is stabilizer in the gas tank and the owner takes it on a brief ride or runs the motor for a bit about once a month.

Would that issue -- a bike of that age and mileage that has never had an oil change -- be a concern for you if you were considering purchasing it?

Thanks for any thoughts.
 
I wouldn't worry about it. First oil change is due at 600 miles. Buy it if the price is fair, change the oil and ride it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Wouldn't matter. Used oil left in the crankcase for a long time can be bad, as it gets acidic from combustion by products over time. This however, probably hasn't even been run enough for these to build up, so no worries.
 
I'd be more concerned about the LEVEL of the oil. If the sight glass shows it's where its supposed to be and your satisfied with the price and everything else then press on.
 
Original factory oil with 600 miles - no worries

Likelihood of loosing out on a like new DLX if you don't move fast - BIG WORRIES

Buy it now!!!
 
I have a brand new 2004 Honda sitting in my living room. It's never been tanked up, started, or even sat on. The engine still has the original oil from the Hamamatsu factory. I'm sure it's fine just sitting there.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I have a brand new 2004 Honda sitting in my living room. It's never been tanked up, started, or even sat on. The engine still has the original oil from the Hamamatsu factory. I'm sure it's fine just sitting there.
2004 or is that a typo? Assuming you meant 2014. If not, that would require a lot of self discipline having a 12 yr old bike that's never been ridden sitting in my living room.
 
Yep, I with the group. The low mileage is a factor. The bike probably hasn't been ridden long enough ( like on a very long several hours long ride) for the motor to really get hot. So make a fair offer, change the oil and filter, and start riding after doing the 600 mile check! Russ
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Not a typo. It's a 2004 CB50R.
Interesting. Googled it and there seem to be a lot of these on display in folks' living rooms. It is a pretty thing!
 
I wish I could buy this bike BigHonda spotted... :s Fly to go get it, immediate oil change, fresh gas and ride it home. That girl needs a proper riding. :biker:

Good luck with it and I hope you get it.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I have a brand new 2004 Honda sitting in my living room. It's never been tanked up, started, or even sat on. The engine still has the original oil from the Hamamatsu factory. I'm sure it's fine just sitting there.
I asked my wife if I could build a well lit rotating platform in our bay window to display mine. Can't say what she said on here... most of it would get beeped out!!!
 
Not a serious concern, but after you start it up, just be sure to do a good thorough "inspection" for any oil/gas/brake fluid leaks, vacuum leaks, check the tire pressures, etc, and even if its been on a tender the whole time, the battery still may have been compromised.

Less than 600 miles but never serviced? What a find!!! Write a check PRONTO!!!
 
Back
Top