EarsOnWheels_imp
Running like a top
Hi Long Ranger - putting my 14 into 1st gear is not noisy. Can be a click or clack, but if you are describing it like a gunshot, I think something may be wrong.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Sure.JustPassinThru_imp said:Sure.ClassicVW_imp said:Are you 100% certain there's a "sheen"?
What is it's thickness?
And how much of a "sheen" is good enough?
Just like guessing that the engine is getting too hot, you're still guessing.
That's a nice story about the Ford Granadas, but has no bearing on our Honda engines or their expected longevity.
I can tell you an anecdote about Russian tank engines needing replacement after 100 hours, should I expect that from my CB?
You can certainly do as you wish, but I'm making a mental note to not buy any bike you're selling.
(I'm also done beating this dead horse). Going to the garage now. :beerchug:
Because I don't let it overheat.
An air-cooled engine without an integral fan...WILL overheat when stationary. Not "might." WILL. It's why the manual tells you not to start it up and leave it idle when cold. It needs air flowing over the cooling fins and through the oil cooler.
A film of oil is all that's on lubricated parts at any given time. They are lubricated where there is metal-to-metal contact. And of course the contact presses off all but a film of oil.
I have explained how I know that repeated hot starts are not, in general, going to damage an engine. I have not seen or heard any contrary evidence. We KNOW what overheating does, even when not severe enough to seize the engine up. Warped heads, misshaped cylinders resulting in piston slap.
Nowhere, in any manual, warning, shop manual or text, does it advise leaving an engine, any engine, idling as opposed to turning it off. Many makers advise the opposite. Toyota, in some European models, has an engine that shuts of at stoplights and restarts upon releasing the brake pedal.
I grant, should someone buy a bike I've owned for a time, they might want to expect they'll be buying a starter and/or battery. But that's it.
You're absolutely right, sorry. I'm glad we pay you those big bucks....The ferret_imp said:Before things get personal, let's just say you agree to disagree, and agree to treat your own machines as you deem best.

Thanks Ears. Judging by the other comments here, it sounds like I'm not in the minority. The bike shifts wonderfully at all other times, so I'll chalk it up to one more "it is what it is" and continue to enjoy the bike.EarsOnWheels_imp said:Hi Long Ranger - putting my 14 into 1st gear is not noisy. Can be a click or clack, but if you are describing it like a gunshot, I think something may be wrong.
I knew the clunks; but given the driveline layout, I never felt them jump the way the CB does. Part of it, of course, is that the power is not yanking on a chain, but on a shaft, through a reduction final drive, and then to the axle. And part of it is that the clutch is an automotive-style single-plate dry clutch, and not a wet clutch-pack.ClassicVW_imp said:Having come back to Honda after 15 or so years with BMWs, I can attest that BMWs are very clunky too. Very clunky in downshifts too. Some new buyers are quite surprised at this after spending $27,000 on a motorcycle and ask if something is wrong with their bike.
