1984 Goldwing to 2017 cb1100ex?

JohnL_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
My current ride is a 1984 interstate and it’s finally time for it to retire. Modern GoldWings, including the 2018, seem to be a little more bike than I want to deal with from a either a mass or money standpoint. Is a CB1100 with bags and a shield going to solo tour reasonably well, or am I likely to regret this?

I only do 1-2 (multi day) long rides per year. Most of my riding is in south east Texas, vainly in search of curvy roads... :).
 
JohnL_imp said:
My current ride is a 1984 interstate and it’s finally time for it to retire. Modern GoldWings, including the 2018, seem to be a little more bike than I want to deal with from a either a mass or money standpoint. Is a CB1100 with bags and a shield going to solo tour reasonably well, or am I likely to regret this?

I only do 1-2 (multi day) long rides per year. Most of my riding is in south east Texas, vainly in search of curvy roads... :).
I have both 1976 Wing with a Windjammer and a corbin seat and a 2013 CB1100 with a corbin as well. A couple of friends and I do a 2500 mile tour of WV and area each year. I took the Wing in 2016 and the CB last year. Now all I have on the CB is a small bikini fairing on the CB. IF you like twisty roads the the CB is the way to go. From a comfort perspective the corbin on the Wing is wider and longer so the Wing wins there. Weather protection goes to the Wing.

Hope this helps.
 
Wow I'd be hesitant to tell someone coming from a Wing that a naked CB would do as good of a job touring. The CB has plenty of power for touring, it's smooth enough, but comparatively speaking it is small and under equipped for serious touring. Many of us do use them for that set up with a shield, some soft luggage, a luggage rack, a few have even gone the hard bags route, but I would not call the CB 1100 a touring bike.

Do you ride only solo? Riding two up would exacerbate the issues.

BTW I have ridden my CB on multiple multi state trips thru Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Virginia, West Virginia, Colorado, Nebraska. Longest day was 698 miles in 12 hours, but done many 9 hour days. It does tour, but it's not a "touring bike" imo.

1494a962fff67ecfa972efb0d586ef8e.jpg
 
Thread starter
I expect mostly solo touring, and riding for that matter. If I do this, I'm planning on getting removable hard bags and a windshield. I expect that most of my riding will be 4-8 hour day trips, with only the occasional long ride thrown in.

The biggest fear factor for me is leg position and rain protection. The wing is slightly more "sit up and beg" position, and I have highway bars to stretch out with when the road gets long, boring and straight. I guess for the second issue, I can shell out for a rain suit.

Another potential issue is chain adjustment. I had a zx7 once when I was young and stupid(-er). That bike's chain adjustment interval was every 500-1000 miles, which is basically daily in touring mode. I can see where packing a torque wrench and all the other stuff for chain service as being a potential pita.
 
The chain is not as big of deal as they used to be for sure. I adjust and lube before a trip and lube again when I get home. I only lube in the middle of the trip if I ride in a lot of rain. 1500 miles without an adjustment is not a problem at all.I have never adjusted my chain mid trip. I just replaced my chain and sprockets at 36,909 miles. Twice as far as in the old days. These new chains have internal lube and the only reason for external lube is rust prevention and some interaction between chain and sprocket surfaces.

you can get case guards that will accept highway pegs for stretching out.

rain is rain, if it does, you need a rain suit (or jacket pants boots and gloves with gore tex), or you are going to get wet.
 
JohnL_imp said:
My current ride is a 1984 interstate and it’s finally time for it to retire. Modern GoldWings, including the 2018, seem to be a little more bike than I want to deal with from a either a mass or money standpoint. Is a CB1100 with bags and a shield going to solo tour reasonably well, or am I likely to regret this?

I only do 1-2 (multi day) long rides per year. Most of my riding is in south east Texas, vainly in search of curvy roads... :).
As you appear to be changing from touring to back road riding, a CB1100 would probably be the better motorcycle. I enjoyed my Goldwing Aspencade when Penny rode with me. There is no better motorcycle when riding two up for long distances. She always referred to it as "The Cadillac of Motorcycles". Now that she is no longer interested in motorcycling, I ride alone. Which has its advantages. :excited:

The CB1100 is a strong and stable motorcycle for highway riding, and it will also handle well on twisty back roads. All of my rides are 8 to 5 on the quiet back roads of cottage county. The CB1100 EX is easy to ride enthusiastically through the corners, or just glide through the woodland scenery. It is also about half the price of a Goldwing. :thumbsup:

Chain maintenance is not a problem. I now use Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. It goes on white and dries clear. It does not fling and mess up the rear wheel like other chain lubes. I clean and wax the chain after every second ride. I have only adjusted it once when it was a few months old.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
I agree with the ferret's views.

Sit on a CB1100 and then decide if you think it'll be roomy enough.
I’m probably going to see how long the dealer will let me sit on one before I sign.
 
If you have ridden a GoldWing, you will not find the CB1100 as comfortable as a Gold Wing. I've had the 1200, the 1500 and the 1800cc GoldWings. The 1800 is really well balanced and once underway feels like a 300 lb bike. It also has reverse for parking maneuvers. So it really isn't a handful. You can pick up a nice used one for about what you'll spend on a CB1100. It has plenty of storage space and they run practically forever with the proper maintenance. For touring it's the only way to go.

The CB1100 is an excellent motorcycle, if you're a young man you could tour on it, but the GoldWing would be much better. 1000 mile days on a GoldWing are easily possible, on a CB1100 not so much.
 
having owned 1975 , 78 1000cc and 1500 goldwings I can tell you the CB1100 does not come close to replacing any of them as far as touring .

I sure wish honda would reintroduce a 1000cc GW light because i hated the 1500
 
Nortoon_imp said:
JohnL_imp said:
My current ride is a 1984 interstate and it’s finally time for it to retire. Modern GoldWings, including the 2018, seem to be a little more bike than I want to deal with from a either a mass or money standpoint. Is a CB1100 with bags and a shield going to solo tour reasonably well, or am I likely to regret this?

I only do 1-2 (multi day) long rides per year. Most of my riding is in south east Texas, vainly in search of curvy roads... :).
As you appear to be changing from touring to back road riding, a CB1100 would probably be the better motorcycle. I enjoyed my Goldwing Aspencade when Penny rode with me. There is no better motorcycle when riding two up for long distances. She always referred to it as "The Cadillac of Motorcycles". Now that she is no longer interested in motorcycling, I ride alone. Which has its advantages. :excited:

The CB1100 is a strong and stable motorcycle for highway riding, and it will also handle well on twisty back roads. All of my rides are 8 to 5 on the quiet back roads of cottage county. The CB1100 EX is easy to ride enthusiastically through the corners, or just glide through the woodland scenery. It is also about half the price of a Goldwing. :thumbsup:

Chain maintenance is not a problem. I now use Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. It goes on white and dries clear. It does not fling and mess up the rear wheel like other chain lubes. I clean and wax the chain after every second ride. I have only adjusted it once when it was a few months old.
I've used Dupont Chainsaver every 600 miles and have not yet needed to adjust the chain (4,798 miles on the clock).

Will extend that service interval, as my SoCal trip next week will probably ~700 miles.

On the Bonneville, the X ring chain needed adjusting only once, during run-in and for the first year. I did not service it at all until 6,000 miles...after it got its first complete wash - normal wipe down would not do, after 16 miles of dusty dirt road on a 450 mile trip to AZ and back.

Less effort and less mess than changing hub fluid on the Moto Guzzi.

However, I do not expect to do more than 500 mile days on the CB.
 
The F6B is more of a lighter touring version of the GW1800. The local dealer here has a left-over brand new 2016 F6B in matte grey for $15,863. Used ones are probably cheaper. Otherwise you're going to have to add things like a windshield & saddlebags, luggage rack & engine guards with highway pegs to a CB1100. The same local dealer here also has a left-over 2017 CB1100EX listed for $10,483. So $5.400 cheaper that the F6B he has.
 
use2b_imp said:
having owned 1975 , 78 1000cc and 1500 goldwings I can tell you the CB1100 does not come close to replacing any of them as far as touring .

I sure wish honda would reintroduce a 1000cc GW light because i hated the 1500
I had a 78 GL and agree with this assessment.

I did a retro tour last august, on my CB 1100. It was 1400 miles over 6 days. The only equipment I used was my duffel bag on the backseat. It was fun. But there were several days in the trip I only rode 200 miles. I did one 350 mile day. It was a fun trip.

You can certainly ride a CB across the country, I'm just saying there are better options. Take a look at the Suzuki Bandits, or the Honda African Twin series, if you desire a lightweight bike for touring.
 
Thread starter
use2b_imp said:
having owned 1975 , 78 1000cc and 1500 goldwings I can tell you the CB1100 does not come close to replacing any of them as far as touring .

I sure wish honda would reintroduce a 1000cc GW light because i hated the 1500
I’d settle for a flat 4 anywhere between 1000 and 1200.
 
JohnL_imp said:
My current ride is a 1984 interstate and it’s finally time for it to retire. Modern GoldWings, including the 2018, seem to be a little more bike than I want to deal with from a either a mass or money standpoint. Is a CB1100 with bags and a shield going to solo tour reasonably well, or am I likely to regret this?

I only do 1-2 (multi day) long rides per year. Most of my riding is in south east Texas, vainly in search of curvy roads... :).
This is the key phrase in the OP's query. We haven't always had a bunch of subcategories of motorcycles. There were street bikes and dirt bikes. That was about it. A "touring" motorcycle was simply whatever standard motorcycle you happened to have with some duffel bags or luggage strapped to it. In that regard a CB1100 is a great motorcycle for all around riding and will work just fine for a couple of long trips a year.
 
that is what I'm hoping the CB11 is going to do for me. I have 3 GW's. While I like the fairing and bags on my 83 Interstate. It is becoming more and more a weight issue.
 
I did a 5200km (3250miles) in 2 week time (with wife), through mild offroad conditions, lots of twisty roads in mountain area of Northern Vietnam. This is me and my luggage setup for 2 week touring (Givi top case 46L, Givi rear hard case 22L each, Givi tank bag 14L and some extra plastic bags :D )

bafb49033bf0cd2dde80f730bcccd423.jpg
 
Your eyes look happy itstuantran!
 
Back
Top