1978 Suzuki GS750E

Scoobynut_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Just picked this up today for $900 with a title and runs. It's a '78 GS750. One family bike all its life w/15k miles. Will probably return it to stock although having a fairing with a cigarette lighter in it is pretty awesome. :angel: Was repainted in the original black at some point and the stripes are not OEM, so will probably put the correct replica blue decal stripes on it. The old guy I bought it from says a neighbor has a blue '77 just like it and he might be interested in selling it to me. That one is a one-owner w/12k miles on it. Can probably get it for a little over $1k. I've got to stop buying old bikes, it just doesn't make sense when you have a CB1100. I think I need help.



On the trailer for the trip home.
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/photo82_zps9fb6ca87.jpg.html]
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
Just picked this up today for $900 with a title and runs. It's a '78 GS750. One family bike all its life w/15k miles. Will probably return it to stock although having a fairing with a cigarette lighter in it is pretty awesome. :angel: Was repainted in the original black at some point and the stripes are not OEM, so will probably put the correct replica blue decal stripes on it. The old guy I bought it from says a neighbor has a blue '77 just like it and he might be interested in selling it to me. That one is a one-owner w/12k miles on it. Can probably get it for a little over $1k. I've got to stop buying old bikes, it just doesn't make sense when you have a CB1100. I think I need help.



On the trailer for the trip home.
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/photo82_zps9fb6ca87.jpg.html]
I can help you. Drop one of theses old bikes in my garage...
 
Thread starter
avsbezzy_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
Just picked this up today for $900 with a title and runs. It's a '78 GS750. One family bike all its life w/15k miles. Will probably return it to stock although having a fairing with a cigarette lighter in it is pretty awesome. :angel: Was repainted in the original black at some point and the stripes are not OEM, so will probably put the correct replica blue decal stripes on it. The old guy I bought it from says a neighbor has a blue '77 just like it and he might be interested in selling it to me. That one is a one-owner w/12k miles on it. Can probably get it for a little over $1k. I've got to stop buying old bikes, it just doesn't make sense when you have a CB1100. I think I need help.



On the trailer for the trip home.
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/photo82_zps9fb6ca87.jpg.html]
I can help you. Drop one of theses old bikes in my garage...

Lol, if you were a little closer, maybe...
 
Looks beautiful and a bargain at $900 I think. Love those old Vetter fairings too. Wish someone took up making a copy of that great design.
 
Definitely a beauty. Needs a stock seat. Are those mini floorboards? Needs stock pegs too lol
 
I bought a brand new GS750 candy red in 1977 for 1995.00 + tax&tags.I was 20 and I loved that bike for many years,put a yosh 845 kit in it and farkels galore,also had a blue one a few years later cant remember the year.Suzuki GS's were the hot s--t back then! great bikes...
 
That's a real beauty, Scooby! Looks like a bargain for $900. I think the Windjammer, king/queen seat and case guards make it look just right for the period.
 
Nice one, Scooby.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I have mixed feelings about those king/queen seats. I think they don't looks so great, but feel way better than most stock seats were back then. I already have a line on some stock pegs. Yep, those are mini floorboards. When I rode it, they made me feel like I was learning to ride again -- hated them. I plan on taking it back to bone stock. Well okay, I will probably leave the crash guards, I think they might be an official Suzook accessory, but either way they'll probably stay.
 
Brings back memories. I bought a 1978 Suzuki GS1000. Added cast wheels and a bikini fairing/cowl to mine.

The foot pegs didn't fold. I used to routinely grind them. Once I turned a bit too hard and raised the rear tire off the ground. It was a great bike.

That GS-750 looks fantastic. Consider yourself lucky!
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
Brings back memories. I bought a 1978 Suzuki GS1000. Added cast wheels and a bikini fairing/cowl to mine.

The foot pegs didn't fold. I used to routinely grind them. Once I turned a bit too hard and raised the rear tire off the ground. It was a great bike.

That GS-750 looks fantastic. Consider yourself lucky!
Yeah, I was pretty unfamiliar with this model before this came up for sale, but from my limited reading about the GSs, it seems they have a pretty loyal following, not only for being a great classic buy, but also for having a reputation of being pretty much bulletproof. It sounds like Suzuki cribbed much of the design and engineering from the Kawasaki Z1's motor design as this was Suzuki's first 4-stroke since the late 1950s, so they wanted to go with a proven design.
 
Back in the day those were very reasonable mods to do so you could tourer nicely. Today we have the Russell Day Long custom seats; don't look much better but do feel better. Luckily you don't look at the seat while riding. :)
 
Love it! Looks like it's in incredible shape, too - congrats!
My "the one that got away" bike was an '83 GS1100e. Swapped it for a '66 Mustang. Still miss that bike. It was actually a driving force in me buying the CB1100.
 
Thread starter
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Love it! Looks like it's in incredible shape, too - congrats!
My "the one that got away" bike was an '83 GS1100e. Swapped it for a '66 Mustang. Still miss that bike. It was actually a driving force in me buying the CB1100.
How about the Mustang? Hope you still have that anyways!
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Brings back memories. I bought a 1978 Suzuki GS1000. Added cast wheels and a bikini fairing/cowl to mine.

The foot pegs didn't fold. I used to routinely grind them. Once I turned a bit too hard and raised the rear tire off the ground. It was a great bike.

That GS-750 looks fantastic. Consider yourself lucky!
Yeah, I was pretty unfamiliar with this model before this came up for sale, but from my limited reading about the GSs, it seems they have a pretty loyal following, not only for being a great classic buy, but also for having a reputation of being pretty much bulletproof. It sounds like Suzuki cribbed much of the design and engineering from the Kawasaki Z1's motor design as this was Suzuki's first 4-stroke since the late 1950s, so they wanted to go with a proven design.
Sure looks like it's in good shape, for $900 it's a steal if it cranks, lol.
They were great bikes, and yes, they were 750cc Suzuki "Z-1"s. Most people credit the Z-1 with the demise of the SOHC Honda CB-750, with good reason, however, the Suzuki GS 750 was the last straw. It wasn't long after the release of the Suzuki that Honda introduced their first DOHC inline 4.
 
Nice acquisition. My first bike was an '82 Kawasaki CSR305. But, my most-memorable bike was the next one--an '82 Candy Red Suzuki GS750L. That bike's memories were the ones I was trying to re-kindle by buying my CB1100.

Enjoy.
 
Back
Top