1978 Suzuki GS400 -- Starting my own little hoard

Scoobynut_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Thought I'd post this so Hondahoarder and the rest of the old bike fans could see what I've been hiding. :D My Dad bought this from the original owner 3 years ago, but wasn't using it so sold it to me for a song last Fall. I think it's one of the nicest unrestored bikes I've ever seen. Someone asked me if the original owner kept it in his house! I dunno, maybe? The only real flaw was some missing paint around one of the front turn signal brackets, but I have since touched that up to where you'd never know. Preservation not Restoration, right Hondahoarder?!?

It's a really neat little bike. The motor is counter-balanced and is as smooth as a four-cylinder. Deceptively quick too. It seems slower than the RD400, but sometimes when I look down at the speedometer I'm surprised by how fast I'm going. Gonna have to watch it.


[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/DSC00177_zpsqjjywscj.jpg.html]
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/DSC00174%203_zpsobq8a0fc.jpg.html]
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/DSC00176_zpsumyaouos.jpg.html]
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/DSC00153_zpsn7t5hb9v.jpg.html]
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/DSC00175_zpshgbuzlay.jpg.html]
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/DSC00170_zpsi2olhwox.jpg.html]
 
Wow! That is one clean little 'zuki!!! It even has a hydraulic front disc!
I'm curious though, did your Dad REALLY have to put that .8 mile on her before he parked it?? :D
Way to go Scooby..........Nice score! :thumbsup:
 
A friend of mine had just one like this in the late seventies, same color, but European handlebar. This bike even had a gear indicator in red segments. Cool.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, guys. I also picked up a '78 GS750 at about the same time, a pretty nice bike in its own right, but it is going to take a bit of work to get on the road. Myself and a buddy are going to dive into it next month. I also picked up a '72 CB750 that has lots and lots of needs -- I was on the fence about buying it, but it is intact and very rust free, so I said what the heck, I do need another hole in the head, uh, I mean another old bike taking up space.

Django, this has that digital gear indicator in red you're talking about, and it still works! I'd take a photo for you, but haven't installed the battery in this bike yet after the long winter.
 
How could anyone have such a beautiful machine as that...and not ride it?

My experience with my Burgman 650, showed me the heights Suzuki can rise to when they try. That's a twin, too...parallel twin, 360-degree firing. Both pistons are on the same stroke, instead of being 108-degrees apart, as Honda favors.

And balance shafts make it velvety smooth. So that air-cooled twin has balance shafts, too?

I'd love to ride it. I'd have loved to own it. Had I found something like that, I'd probably never have bought the CB.
 
Thread starter
Yessir, JustPassin, has a balance shaft at the front of the engine cases I believe. The GS series was a pretty historic series for Suzuki, their first 4-stroke bikes since the 1950s when they came out in 1977. And they really needed them to be right after the debacle with the rotary-powered RE5. They basically saved the company. Pretty cool stuff.
 
That is one beautifully preserved bike, Scooby! Looks like it's fresh from the showroom floor.

The GS400 was a prime contender for my first bike, but I ended up with a KZ400 (that looks remarkably similar), because the GS was just out of my price range. Too bad they don't make bikes like that anymore. Small, light and with plenty of power to hit the freeway.
 
Great pictures of a great bike. I bought a 1978 Suzuki.....in 1978.... the GS400's big brother the GS1000. I can't be believe how nice that GS400 looks. I absolutely love it.
 
Very nice, I bought a 79 GS425 (Red) that was in the same condition
when I was collecting in the 90s. Friend of a friend deal - I think it had less then 2000 miles and at the end of the sale he said "oh by the way here is a new tank I never installed" . He had it stored in a basement and had dented the stock one. Wish I still had it.
In the 80s and early 90s I owned 6 of the GS450s.
 
Unbelievable !

It really looks nice next to the pristine CB1100.

So clean, I was channeling the old Suzuki Ad slogan from around or just a little before that time:

'Suzuki's "Blow-em in the Weeds Four-Strokes"'

(or something similar to that) :-)
 
Thread starter
furious_blue_imp said:
Unbelievable !

It really looks nice next to the pristine CB1100.

So clean, I was channeling the old Suzuki Ad slogan from around or just a little before that time:

'Suzuki's "Blow-em in the Weeds Four-Strokes"'

(or something similar to that) :-)
I've never seen that ad, but did find this one. Looks just like my bike!

 
Quite the Beauty!... Glad you have it & will give it the care & appreciation for such a machine!... even hydraulic clutch!...I can imagine the "twinge" metallic sound of a thump to the shiny front fender... thanks for pictures & period ad...
 
Back
Top