1970 Kawasaki H1 Mach III 500

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to make a deal with the owner of this '70 H1. He's interested in selling it and I'm anxious to get my butt back in the saddle of one of these rockets. I've not seen it in person yet, but from the photo it looks pretty good.

It looks decent for a 47 year old motorcycle. And it's smoking pretty good!

0e8b78c9c84ed177ff43321a3ae25a9b.jpg


Here's my original one, fairing and all. Photo taken in 1973. I've kicked myself for years that I let this bike go.

12fcbcbebe66006210739cc2e3adc4aa.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Good luck with your purchase!

I just hope with something that old, to quote Mr. Spock. “After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting.

But then, I just wanna ride, not work on them :)
 
Thread starter
Thanks. There's a better than average chance that you might be right... but I think it's a chance I need to take.
 
I had a 1969 Mach III. Met the very first motorcycle cop in my town in 1976, riding a KZ1000P.

I left him in a cloud of two stroke smoke on a few occasions whenever we met at a traffic light, but we hit it off as friends when he found out I was the parts man and mechanic at the local Honda-Kawasaki shop.
 
Good luck. Bet you have a harder time finding a Wixom fairing ( or was that a Bates ?) , crash bar and sissy bar for it
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Good luck. Bet you have a harder time finding a Wixom fairing ( or was that a Bates ?) , crash bar and sissy bar for it
That's funny... and you're probably right as well. I don't think it was a Wixom
or any brand for that matter. I don't remember where I bought the fairing but I can assure you that I went the cheap route. College kid back then... NO money! :D
 
I meant Wixom or was it a Bates, but the more I look at it, I think it is a Bates.
 
I had a Kawasaki Samurai 250 in 1971, a friend had the 500. I still remember the sound and the smoke as he left me in his wake.
 
ride4now_imp said:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to make a deal with the owner of this '70 H1. He's interested in selling it and I'm anxious to get my butt back in the saddle of one of these rockets. I've not seen it in person yet, but from the photo it looks pretty good.

It looks decent for a 47 year old motorcycle. And it's smoking pretty good!

0e8b78c9c84ed177ff43321a3ae25a9b.jpg


Here's my original one, fairing and all. Photo taken in 1973. I've kicked myself for years that I let this bike go.

12fcbcbebe66006210739cc2e3adc4aa.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That rug really ties the room together. lol
 
I was selling Suzukis and Kawasakis at a shop in the early 70s, and the life expectancy of the H2 750 triple (not the rider, just the bike) was about 3 weeks before the rider either flipped them over backwards from an uncontrolled wheelie, or ran them off the road in a curve.

The H1 500s were not as bad.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I was selling Suzukis and Kawasakis at a shop in the early 70s, and the life expectancy of the H2 750 triple (not the rider, just the bike) was about 3 weeks before the rider either flipped them over backwards from an uncontrolled wheelie, or ran them off the road in a curve.

The H1 500s were not as bad.
In 1972, two friends and I sold our British motorcycles and bought Kawasaki H2 Mach IVs, AKA the widow maker. We had to learn to ride all over again.


Not me or my Mach IV.

Unlike our British motorcycles, the Kaws did not like to be roughly tossed about in the corners. So we had to smooth out our riding style, and learn to use the brakes instead of the 2-stoke engine. Fortunately the Gatineau Parkway, the perfect testing ground to learn our new skills, was not far away.

These 2-stroke jets earned their reputation. Exuberant twisting of the throttle could get you in trouble in a hurry. No problem lifting the front wheel, whether you intended to or not.

Just another year in the "Decade of Decadence", as we called our twenties. It's a wonder we all survived unharmed.
 
Nice find ride4now. The 2 strokes really take you back. The smoke and the smell...perfect. I recently picked up a 73 and 74 RD350 and I am hoping to have at least one on the road by early summer. I am also hoping I can keep the front wheel on the ground! ;)
 
Great find! I had a H1 500cc 2 stroke triple back in the day. It was white and I had a white Vetter Phantom full fairing on it. I let it get away from me a bit when I was about to enter the bridge traffic over the Mississippi River from New Orleans to Gretna LA. I saw an opening in the rush hour traffic after I had been sitting for what seemed like forever. I gave the throttle a good twist and away I went -- and UP CAME THE FRONT WHEEL! I got it under control but my heart was racing!
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Nice find ride4now. The 2 strokes really take you back. The smoke and the smell...perfect. I recently picked up a 73 and 74 RD350 and I am hoping to have at least one on the road by early summer. I am also hoping I can keep the front wheel on the ground! ;)
I had a Yamaha 350 R5. I bought some clubman handlebars and mounted them upside down. Instant café racer that would top out at 103 MPH. I put 10,000 miles on it in one summer.

 
Sweet. I'm definately adding clubmans and getting an aluminum swingarm extended 1 inch to help keep the front wheel down...won't help much though. Once those bad boys "get on the pipe" you're lookin at blue sky!
 
Back
Top