1970 Bonneville

Capo

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've been after one of these for a long time, as, IMHO, the '70 Bonnie represents the pinnacle of the line, the final iteration of the pre- oil in frame. I located this one in Florida, and it arrived today. Completely restored and correct. Started right up after 35 or 80 kicks!

Needs some fresh gas and fettling, but did around 25 miles around the Shore on a lovely spring day, and I'm impressed. Really light and nimble compared to today's bikes, complements my Hinckley Bonnie, and more civilized than my Norton P11.
ba81d5ceb7948171bfdec34b74abff93.jpg
 
That is such a pretty motorcycle. One of the top 3 or 4 prettiest motorcycles ever made imo. proportions are perfect, gas tank os a lovely shape with perfect knee scallops, fenders are just right, mufflers are just right. beautiful.

I always wanted a 67 in Burgoine and white.[/i]

Congrats Capo.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
That is such a pretty motorcycle. One of the top 3 or 4 prettiest motorcycles ever made imo. proportions are perfect, gas tank os a lovely shape with perfect knee scallops, fenders are just right, mufflers are just right. beautiful.

I always wanted a 67 in Burgoine and white.[/i]

Congrats Capo.
Thanks, Ferret, I agree! I've had a model of this bike in these precise colors on my desk for years, and this one was impossible to pass up. It's about perfect, but I'm riding, not hiding it.
 
Like this one in my downstairs bathroom? Lol..it's a 69

 
Capo_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
That is such a pretty motorcycle. One of the top 3 or 4 prettiest motorcycles ever made imo. proportions are perfect, gas tank os a lovely shape with perfect knee scallops, fenders are just right, mufflers are just right. beautiful.

I always wanted a 67 in Burgoine and white.[/i]

Congrats Capo.
Thanks, Ferret, I agree! I've had a model of this bike in these precise colors on my desk for years, and this one was impossible to pass up. It's about perfect, but I'm riding, not hiding it.
Thanks, Ferret, I agree! I've had a model of this bike in these precise colors on my desk for years, and this one was impossible to pass up. It's about perfect, but I'm riding, not hiding it. That IS a real beaut! Congrats Capo. And yes, it is about perfect. You are blessed. :celebrate:
 
Capo.. Motorcycle Classics magazine sells a tshirt with a Bonnie on it that says " ride it, don't hide it". You should get one.
 
Congratulations, Capo. That's a lovely bike indeed. And great exercise for your right leg! :)
 
Capo_imp said:
I've been after one of these for a long time, as, IMHO, the '70 Bonnie represents the pinnacle of the line, the final iteration of the pre- oil in frame. I located this one in Florida, and it arrived today. Completely restored and correct. Started right up after 35 or 80 kicks!

Needs some fresh gas and fettling, but did around 25 miles around the Shore on a lovely spring day, and I'm impressed. Really light and nimble compared to today's bikes, complements my Hinckley Bonnie, and more civilized than my Norton P11.
ba81d5ceb7948171bfdec34b74abff93.jpg

And you forgot to add " and that sound..ohhh that sound" :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
jpg[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]
And you forgot to add " and that sound..ohhh that sound" :thumbsup:
[/QUOTE]

Yes, that sound. Remarkable. And in no need of aftermarket exhaust.
 
It is very hard to find a bike today with an motor that looks as good as that old Bonnie. Sure you find a dozen motors that are mechanically better, but she is a fine looking machine. You did good sir.
 
Capo_imp said:
I've been after one of these for a long time, as, IMHO, the '70 Bonnie represents the pinnacle of the line, the final iteration of the pre- oil in frame. I located this one in Florida, and it arrived today. Completely restored and correct. Started right up after 35 or 80 kicks!

Needs some fresh gas and fettling, but did around 25 miles around the Shore on a lovely spring day, and I'm impressed. Really light and nimble compared to today's bikes, complements my Hinckley Bonnie, and more civilized than my Norton P11.
ba81d5ceb7948171bfdec34b74abff93.jpg
They really don't make them like that anymore. What a classic. In think a young Clint rode that one around Central Park in one of the most classic motorcycle chase scenes of all time. The movie was called "Coogan's Bluff".
 
I bought a 1969 Bonnie in 1974 when I got out of the Army. I REALLY REALLY wanted a new CB750, but my budget was not fat enough to buy new. I paid $650 for the Bonnie. She was all original except the guy had put stubby mufflers on in place of the originals. I still see quite a few Bonnies around the vintage bike events. Wish I had kept the Bonnie (and the Kawi H2, and the 1965 HD XLCH, and...). TINK
 
Back
Top