17 Inch Wheels

jasonlim_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Since our tires choices are quite limited. I'm wondering if anyone had toyed the idea of having 17 inch wheels set on our ride?
 
Its certainly possible. But the CB, IMO, is a bike defined by its style, vs pure performance like a sportbike, or utility like an ADV bike. The 18" wheels are a pretty big component of that style.

I think the same applies to putting wider tires on it (i.e. a 180 rear). Sure, you can do it, but if you feel its necessary, did you buy the right bike?
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
Its certainly possible. But the CB, IMO, is a bike defined by its style, vs pure performance like a sportbike, or utility like an ADV bike. The 18" wheels are a pretty big component of that style.

I think the same applies to putting wider tires on it (i.e. a 180 rear). Sure, you can do it, but if you feel its necessary, did you buy the right bike?
I'm sure you know that the choices for tires available are limited for our ride. So why only eat hamburgers when you can choose to eat other variety for cuisine?
 
jasonlim_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Its certainly possible. But the CB, IMO, is a bike defined by its style, vs pure performance like a sportbike, or utility like an ADV bike. The 18" wheels are a pretty big component of that style.

I think the same applies to putting wider tires on it (i.e. a 180 rear). Sure, you can do it, but if you feel its necessary, did you buy the right bike?
I'm sure you know that the choices for tires available are limited for our ride. So why only eat hamburgers when you can choose to eat other variety for cuisine?
That's very true; there's many, many more choices of tires for standard sportbike wheel and tire sizes than our 18" wheels. Even 19" wheels have lots more choices now, thanks to the ADV craze. That didn't stop a few VStrom riders from swapping their 19's for 17's, usually getting used wheels and other parts from SVs.

Me, when I go to Fuddrucker's I always order a burger, even though they sell other stuff.
 
Personally, I'm reasonably satisfied with the tires Honda chose. They can handle lean angles I'll never achieve, they brake fine, I've not had any wet riding issues with them, the only issue I have is mileage, but that is an issue with every motorcycle tire I have tried on every bike I have owned.

Mine came with the Dunlops, but I will try the Bridgestones next time for comparison.

If Michelin made a tire for them, I'd try those, even though I don't think they would perform any better, it's because I am partial to Michelins and run them on all my motorcycles, cars and trucks.
 
Mee too, I also use Michelin tires if available (car, bike).
I asked Dunlop if they would issue their new Arrowmax StreetSmart also in dimensions for our CB 1100, but the answer was "no".
I also asked Conti about the ClassicAttack tire, but up to now they do not know whether it will also come for CB 1100 dimensions.

I did not ask Michelin so far.
 
So far I haven't been able to outride the limits presented by the stock Bridgestone tires, so no I haven't given this topic much thought. Thank goodness because 17" wheels on this bike are not going to look good to my eye. Case in point: The T100 Bonneville is a nice looking machine, but the Bonneville SE by comparison just plain looks wrong to me. It's not the cast wheels, which I rather like, but the 17" front wheel that is the SE's downfall.
 
The new post of the 2014 CB1100 initially said 17" wheels, openning up a world of tire choices. But it looks like we are stuck with 18" wheels.
 
I think if you're out-riding the capabilities of the stock rubber, you may have purchased the wrong bike. I don't ride like a grandpa, and I feel they perform quite well. The suspension would need an upgrade long before the rubber, IMO.
 
Thread starter
So they finally think that by having 17" wheels is the way to go for the 2014 model. Ego aside. It's not about out riding one's capabilities. Most modern bikes comes with 17" wheels. I guess it doesn't make sense for certain tire companies to create 18" tires just for the CB1100.
 
Could someone direct me to an article stating that the 2014 CB1100 is sporting 17" wheels?

Thus far the only mentions I've been able to find indicate that 110/80-18 and 14/70-18 are the tire sizes supplied with the bike.
 
Guth_imp said:
Could someone direct me to an article stating that the 2014 CB1100 is sporting 17" wheels?

Thus far the only mentions I've been able to find indicate that 110/80-18 and 14/70-18 are the tire sizes supplied with the bike.
Ingobohn's post:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1642

He immediately added a word of caution after seeing conflicting info and later indicated that it looked like Honda was staying with 18" wheels .
 
Theres little doubt that the CB is part of a growing market for retro bikes. That means there will be more bikes with 18" wheels; that was a popular size "back in the day."

When I first started riding ADV there were very few choices for 19" fronts, now theres lots. The same will happen with 18s eventually, at least to some degree.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Personally, I'm reasonably satisfied with the tires Honda chose. They can handle lean angles I'll never achieve, they brake fine, I've not had any wet riding issues with them, the only issue I have is mileage, but that is an issue with every motorcycle tire I have tried on every bike I have owned.

Mine came with the Dunlops, but I will try the Bridgestones next time for comparison.

If Michelin made a tire for them, I'd try those, even though I don't think they would perform any better, it's because I am partial to Michelins and run them on all my motorcycles, cars and trucks.
ingobohn_imp said:
Mee too, I also use Michelin tires if available (car, bike).
I asked Dunlop if they would issue their new Arrowmax StreetSmart also in dimensions for our CB 1100, but the answer was "no".
I also asked Conti about the ClassicAttack tire, but up to now they do not know whether it will also come for CB 1100 dimensions.

I did not ask Michelin so far.
I did ask Michelin some days ago and got an answer meanwhile. But they simply said, "currently we have no rear tires fitting to CB 1100's dimension 140/70R18 in our portfolio", "additionally, there were no test rides for any Michelin tire with the CB 1100 done so fa at allr", and "unfortunately, no test rides are currently planned for that bike".

Bad news. :(
So I guess we will not get tires from Michelin (at least in near future).
 
Back
Top