'17 Grabrail Upgrade for '14

HigginsNYC_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter


I wanted to post my latest modification to my '13 Standard CB. I've always thought the seat grab rails on this bike we're a design afterthought and not well done. So much of the bike is an homage to the CB750 - but then they tacked these chunky sort of awkward garnishes onto the frame. So, with the release of the '17 (and it's perfect wrap around seat rail) I decided to make the switch.

'17 Garnish part# 84150-MGC-JB0

It is NOT plug and play though. The frame has been subtly changed, so the rail mounting hardware does not match up. The front of the rail fits perfectly - but the back mounts don't align. So, a small bracket was necessary - which I fabricated myself.

The even trickier part for me was figuring out how to integrate the turn signals work into the rail (rather than have a separate mounting bracket for them). My solution was to actually tap the existing mounting hole on the bracket - threading it all the way through for a M8 1.25 bolt.

The bullet turn signals I got from Maund Speed shop (Maundspeed.com) threaded right into the rail now. I used a hollow M8 1.25 for the back side, running it through the bracket and then threading it into the rail as well.

I'm pretty damn happy with it, and feel it makes a real improvement to a bike that got so much right.

Glad to answer any questions.
-Mike
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Lots of goodness there H of NYC.

Curious: How is bike theft for this class of bike in NYC?
Hey. Thanks. Uh, this bike isn't on the top of the list for theft. But I do throw a front disc brake lock on, always use the steering lock, and cover it. I've had good luck so far (1 year of ownership now).

-Mike
 
How is that seat in terms of comfort compared to stock seat? I put two hours of traffic riding on mine today and stock seat is terrible not to mention handlebar vibrations.
 
Thread starter
Honda_Fan_imp said:
How is that seat in terms of comfort compared to stock seat? I put two hours of traffic riding on mine today and stock seat is terrible not to mention handlebar vibrations.
Hey, I prefer the Type II seat for sure. Not sure if the ribbing adds much padding (a little I'd say), but it's more comfortable for me. Admittedly I don't do a ton of super long rides. But around the city and a couple hours at a time, I've been happy with it.

-Mike
 
ae07824d221da4d95e65ffe457bd8aa8.jpg

I removed grab bar and installed small LED turn signals in the interest of weight savings. But after today’s ride definitely will be looking into upgrading my seat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Honda_Fan_imp said:
ae07824d221da4d95e65ffe457bd8aa8.jpg

I removed grab bar and installed small LED turn signals in the interest of weight savings. But after today’s ride definitely will be looking into upgrading my seat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea. Looks good. I like it cleaned up for sure.
 
Thread starter
Bheezy27403_imp said:
How much do the grab bars weigh?
Hey. Uh. that's a good question. I don't know. It's certainly pretty light. I'd say no more than 2 pounds. I'll try to find out.
-Mike
 
Looks good, HigginsNYC.
 
What Cormanus said. Very nice indeed. I really like that look.
 
It’s funny what different people notice. I never noticed the earlier grab rails but now I can’t unsee them! :P
 
Anyone else have to fab up some adapter brackets?

Today I found out the hard way about the differences in the frame welded brackets throughout the years :sleepy:

fcd02f39e389c68a6cf14fe5b157417b.jpg

b51bf0e40f4279821b076e716b59f5d2.jpg
 
Houtman_imp said:
Different year racks came with a different bracket set up. Get the right rack for your model /year is highly recommended.
I see that. Thing is, I ordered an RS "hoop style" grab rail, so the part was never intended for my bike. If I had a '17 CB11 it seems like this would've fit as a direct plug-and-play bolt on with no modification

To the fellow RS owners on here: Can anyone confirm is these frame bracket differences also apply to the RS models? (Is there 2 versions of the grab rail with differing mounting points at the frame brackets)

TIA
 
Back
Top