14 Deluxe scarcity ... Done right or low production?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
It seems like there is a lack of the 14 DLXs available around the country, while there are still 13 stds and 14 stds readily available. One has to wonder ..

Is it because the look is more appealing?

Or if the features like 6 speed, dual pipes, larger fuel tank and ABS are more desired?

Or did Honda just make a very limited number of them compared to the other models? (Of course Honda won't give us that info so we are left to speculate.)

Did buyers of the DLX not want a CB 1100 in 13?

Will the DLX hold it's value better than the stds?

If Honda comes out with a late 15 or 16 model of the CB 1100 will it only be in the DLX model?

Interesting things to ponder
 
The ferret_imp said:
It seems like there is a lack of the 14 DLXs available around the country, while there are still 13 stds and 14 stds readily available. One has to wonder ..

Is it because the look is more appealing?

Or if the features like 6 speed, dual pipes, larger fuel tank and ABS are more desired?

Or did Honda just make a very limited number of them compared to the other models? (Of course Honda won't give us that info so we are left to speculate.)

Did buyers of the DLX not want a CB 1100 in 13?

Will the DLX hold it's value better than the stds?

If Honda comes out with a late 15 or 16 model of the CB 1100 will it only be in the DLX model?

Interesting things to ponder
"An Idle Mind is the Devils Playground!" :D
 
Ferret,

When they announced the DLX, didn't they say they were only going to make whatever numbers the dealers advanced ordered? And my dealer ordered none. I imagine based on '13 sales a lot of dealers may have ordered none or maybe 1.

My dealer just sold the '13 they had for a total of 2 sales. Mine in '13 and the other in July '15. And said they were not going to get any '14s.
 
Thread starter
I don't remember that being the case popgun. I heard some members speculate that. I will ask my local dealer. BTW He has sold 5 or 6 stds and at least 3 DLXs I know of. I think he still has one 14 std left.
 
Honda botched the launch and marketing of this great bike in the U.S. In so many ways, that it's hard to say what led to the current state. Say what you will about the Bonneville, but it it wildly successful after 14 years of production. It has a rabid fan base and an entire industry of aftermarket and customs built around it. And it holds its resale value far better than the CB1100.

Chalk that up more to the execution and marketing by Triumph, and the 'cool' factor of the Triumph brand versus the mess that is Honda's current lineup, rather than product superiority. I doubt a lot of people passed up the '13 because of silver side panels or a 5-speed. They just didn't know about the bike, or didn't really care.
 
Capo_imp said:
Honda botched the launch and marketing of this great bike in the U.S. In so many ways, that it's hard to say what led to the current state. Say what you will about the Bonneville, but it it wildly successful after 14 years of production. It has a rabid fan base and an entire industry of aftermarket and customs built around it. And it holds its resale value far better than the CB1100.

Chalk that up more to the execution and marketing by Triumph, and the 'cool' factor of the Triumph brand versus the mess that is Honda's current lineup, rather than product superiority. I doubt a lot of people passed up the '13 because of silver side panels or a 5-speed. They just didn't know about the bike, or didn't really care.
Exactly! There is no reason that after being on sale for over 2 years that other riders should still say to me "that's the first one I have ever seen" and "nice restoration!". I recall seeing ONE ad for this bike in a motorcycle magazine. It seems that Honda spent nothing on hyping up this model during it's release. Shame on them. A few TV commercials during prime time and during some baseball games with some original ads from the 750 and then some vintage video of CB750s riding around before showing the current CB would have been really neat! Heck, I see really cool BMW motorcycle ads on TV every couple of weeks now!

Regarding your thoughts, I suspect:
Is it because the look is more appealing?
YES!
Or if the features like 6 speed, dual pipes, larger fuel tank and ABS are more desired?
YES!
Or did Honda just make a very limited number of them compared to the other models? (Of course Honda won't give us that info so we are left to speculate.)
YES! The highest DLX VIN# I have ever heard of is around 000150
Did buyers of the DLX not want a CB 1100 in 13?
YES!
Will the DLX hold it's value better than the stds?
YES! (But only if Honda doesn't release a '17 Deluxe, lol!)
If Honda comes out with a late 15 or 16 model of the CB 1100 will it only be in the DLX model?
Who knows?
 
Thread starter
Eddie we have DLX's as high as# 299 in our registry, but certainly not as high of a number as the stds for sure... MentallyGuitarded's std is our highest std at # 2232

CB1100_Owners_Register

Interestingly it appears we have 52 14 dlx's in the registry and only 37 of the 14 stds

if indeed there were only 300 dlx's made a lot of them are members here and have registered
 
Thread starter
all dlxs are in the US. Europe got EX's and are listed separately.
 
I don't see that many Triumphs but I certainly see more than CB1100's. I know when I saw the 13's I thought the bike was interesting but I didn't like the silver side panels or the four in to one exhaust. Then I saw one last summer that somebody had put red side panels, different exhaust etc. and I really liked the look. I started doing research and found the Deluxe model and like seven months later bought one. I am a pretty avid motorcyclist and know about new releases on new bikes etc but I had to do digging to find the Deluxe model which hooked me.
 
Thread starter
I see more CB1100's on the road than Bonnevilles but I am 9 miles from a Honda dealer and 75 miles from a Triumph dealer, and like I said my dealer was very successful selling CB1100's.
 
In response to one of the questions about the 13 model. I saw the CB in a magazine article I think it was Cycle World. The article was small but when I saw it I wanted that 13. I was not in a position to buy one then but kept watching the model. When the 14's came out I saw a few at bike shows etc and then saw the DLX which I literally drooled over. It took me a while not only to get financially prepared for one (Read: talk the wife into it)...but also to find one. Even Honda's dealer representatives could not locate a new one. I eventually found my used one and love it.
On the road I have only ever seen one other DLX and maybe 2 standards.
Honda definitely missed an opportunity here but in the interests of long term values we current owners should be thankful. In 15-30 years time these bikes will be among the few that will be highly sought after IMHO.
They cannot however get mine as I will keep this one forever. :D
 
Without the actual numbers (number of bikes released to the dealers) there is no way to know what the story is, other than the fact that Honda just hasn't sold all that many CB1100s period.

There are a few guys here looking for 14 Deluxes, but let's face it — we're only talking about a very few people. (Dealers probably wonder where these guys were back in 2014, lol.) Even though they can still be had new today, by pure numbers the 2013 model wins the popularity contest. Having access to the actual numbers of how many units of each model was released would tell us the rest of the story. More than likely, the number of bikes left at the dealers is in alignment with the number of bikes that were released to the dealers to begin with.

Also keep in mind that the forum represents only a subset of CB1100 owners. As hard as it is to believe, there are actually guys out there who bought a CB1100 but haven't joined the forum. Simply shocking. :rofl:
 
Dealerships have sold a dozen or so CB1100 in our area but I have only seen one (black 2014)in the wild. Guth has been in my neck of the woods but haven't seen him as of yet. When they came out I wanted one but wasn't in the cards at the time. When the ABS '13 demo showed at the dealership later I bought it immediately. At that time a black 14 was in the process of being sold off the floor.

Love the bike, just haven't had much opportunity to enjoy it this summer
 
I live and work around Richmond, VA; I have never seen a single CB1100 in the wild except mine. Bonnevilles? Yes, but this is red, white and blue, NASCAR country and Harley-Davidson regins supreme around here...its crotch rocket land too.
 
Capo_imp said:
Honda botched the launch and marketing of this great bike in the U.S. In so many ways, that it's hard to say what led to the current state. Say what you will about the Bonneville, but it it wildly successful after 14 years of production. It has a rabid fan base and an entire industry of aftermarket and customs built around it. And it holds its resale value far better than the CB1100.

Chalk that up more to the execution and marketing by Triumph, and the 'cool' factor of the Triumph brand versus the mess that is Honda's current lineup, rather than product superiority. I doubt a lot of people passed up the '13 because of silver side panels or a 5-speed. They just didn't know about the bike, or didn't really care.
Um, well, I did take a pass on the '13. I waited until '14 because I wanted a silver engine, black (or at least dark) color and was willing to have the side covers painted if need be. Crossed my fingers and hoped.

I got most of what I wanted and more (the deep red has grown on me). The DLX is just a gorgeous bike. Tons of upgrades from large things (bigger gas tank, sixth gear, chromed pipes with dual exhaust) to small stuff (chrome bar ends, polished sprocket cover, trip computer, upgraded side covers, etc.) Harley guys salivate when they look it over. Former Honda owners flip when I tell them it's a new bike.

So, yeah, maybe "a lot of people" didn't pass on it consciously, and the DLX may have "shown better" in the dealership. The scarcity thing is a problem too. The first dealer I found with a DLX wasn't willing to dicker on it at all but was more than happy to cut a great deal on a '13 or '14 standard (he had one of each at the time.)

The CB is a great bike in all three forms IMHO. Frankly, I like the simplicity of the Std but would prefer different colors. (Again, eye of the beholder.) It would also be good to see year over year color changes to help generate sales - including the engine.

In the end, it's a great bike to own. I commute with mine more than expected and it's surprisingly great fun to ride in the city. Very nimble feeling with spot on power. I've done long day trips and multi-state trips (e.g., the rally in NC.) Very comfy in that role too. (Once you put a little faring on.)

Would be great to see Honda keep it going.:)
 
Ferret, you are missing at least 1 DLX in your spreadsheet -- mine! I just registered it a couple of days ago, number 257. So...there are 53 14 DLXs in the registry.
 
Thread starter
I tell ya, we are taking over this place!

When I stopped at the dealers today he told me the DLXs were not made to order by dealer pre orders, but were ordered out of Honda stock. He ordered 3, got 3 and sold 3. He also checked Honda inventory for me, and the DLXs are sold out. He can't order any more.

I asked if he knew how many CBs Honda made or sold. He did not. He " guessed around 3000 made total for 2014 made up of 2500 stds and 500 dlxs but reiterated that was just a guess. He is going to try and find out for me. He said you may find one or two dlxs at dealers somewhere, but they can not be ordered anymore.

He also said Yamaha doesn't reveal that info on models either.

Oh and the new Honda RCV213-VS.. He told me dealer cost in case anyone want to go in and beat up a dealer for one. Cost is $ 174,000.00. Special order only. Chip...Capo?
 
The ferret_imp said:
I tell ya, we are taking over this place!

When I stopped at the dealers today he told me the DLXs were not made to order by dealer pre orders, but were ordered out of Honda stock. He ordered 3, got 3 and sold 3. He also checked Honda inventory for me, and the DLXs are sold out. He can't order any more.

I asked if he knew how many CBs Honda made or sold. He did not. He " guessed around 3000 made total for 2014 made up of 2500 stds and 500 dlxs but reiterated that was just a guess. He is going to try and find out for me. He said you may find one or two dlxs at dealers somewhere, but they can not be ordered anymore.

He also said Yamaha doesn't reveal that info on models either.

Oh and the new Honda RCV213-VS.. He told me dealer cost in case anyone want to go in and beat up a dealer for one. Cost is $ 174,000.00. Special order only. Chip...Capo?
Ha! The RCV is the laughingstock of the motorcycle world right now. What a botch job.

I must say though, that leftover '14 Interceptor 800's can be found for well under $10k now. That would be a nice add.
 
New VFR's going out the door at under $10k. Wow. Would be a nice add if I was 30. Those are really sweet bikes, just need a masseuse to untangle the spine after a ride of any length. VFR800X anyone?

Back on topic: I actually saw over a dozen CB1100s at once in the wild. Happened on that bunch near the Tennessee/North Carolina border as I remember it.
 
Back
Top