12v power addition

draces1_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I've searched as I am sure there is something out here on this topic already, but my search terms haven't returned any results. So sorry if this has been hashed out already.

Anyway, I'm looking to add 1 12 volt cigarette lighter extension to essentially plug my cell phone in to.

I plan to run the wire(s) under the tank from the fuze box so the iphone cable will just plug into my phone which is on the handlebars using a Ram mount.

Has anyone already done something similar? Do I really need a PDM for this or is there a blank in the fuze box I can use?

Thanks for any info!
 
I bought a bar mounted unit on cycle gear and wired direct to battery terminals. Will take a pic tomorrow


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
draces1_imp said:
I've searched as I am sure there is something out here on this topic already, but my search terms haven't returned any results. So sorry if this has been hashed out already.

Anyway, I'm looking to add 1 12 volt cigarette lighter extension to essentially plug my cell phone in to.

I plan to run the wire(s) under the tank from the fuze box so the iphone cable will just plug into my phone which is on the handlebars using a Ram mount.

Has anyone already done something similar? Do I really need a PDM for this or is there a blank in the fuze box I can use?

Thanks for any info!
Hello friend have you completed the 12 power addition.. I would love to do the same if it works well.. Please share your opinion..
 
Rusty, I originally ran a power cable for a cigarette lighter directly from the battery but then decided I'd be happier if it were switched. So I took it off the battery and connected it to the spare cable in the headlight. It had a red plug on it and is meant for heated grips, I think. Now the lighter outlet comes on when I turn the key.

I cut the connector off and replaced it with another one.
 
Has anyone with the battery tender pigtail tried the battery tender USB adapter? I have used it and it is so nice. It supposedly does not draw on the battery unless you have something plugged into the USB cable. I have left the adapter plugged into my battery tender plug and had no battery issues. I have the battery tender USB adapter tucked in under the seat plugged in and the USB cable run out to a magnetic tank case for cell phone or GPS devices. For under $15 dollars I thought this was a great investment.

00267fc91b80ca00ba840579e9b2c908.jpg




Some of the 12 volt kits I have seen draw power when not in use so if you go that route be careful and so research.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Wow, thats pretty cool. Haven't seen one of those. I'm going to have to get one!
 
Works great without having to mod or add anything special if your just looking for a usb charging port. I believe it even charges at 2 amps, the fast charge...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
Works great without having to mod or add anything special if your just looking for a usb charging port. I believe it even charges at 2 amps, the fast charge...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
dBuster, thanks for the tip, I just ordered one off Amazon!
 
I would agree with what a few others have stated here. Wire one direct to the battery, and include a breakable link on hot lead (fuse). If you need a switched source, you can wire one in. Do not hack into the wire harness and start splicing random wires.... Yes, people do... do that...
 
If you have a Battery Tender charger, the company also makes an accessory socket (cigarette lighter style) that plugs into the Battery Tender connector which is fused. Cord length is about 4'.
 
Power port finally installedhttp://http//cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=886
not sure if the link will work - link to a previous post showing the installation of a 3br splash proof USB outlet - i decided on this because i can plug my phone or GPS directly into the port. I have been very happy with this set-up. the only problem i have had was using my phone maps on a long trip and my wife texts me - the text pops up on the screen and i can't see the map and of course i am wearing gloves so i had to stop to clear the text so i could get the map back.

3brpowersports
 
Any chance you have a picture of what you did? I want to add something fairly permanent and want it to look good.

Thanks,
Glenn


Khig177_imp said:
Power port finally installedhttp://http//cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=886
not sure if the link will work - link to a previous post showing the installation of a 3br splash proof USB outlet - i decided on this because i can plug my phone or GPS directly into the port. I have been very happy with this set-up. the only problem i have had was using my phone maps on a long trip and my wife texts me - the text pops up on the screen and i can't see the map and of course i am wearing gloves so i had to stop to clear the text so i could get the map back.

3brpowersports
 
Back
Top