1100 v/s 900c

paul kellam_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Long story short: I bought my 13 (cb1100) from a kid who was down and out and needed the cash, I paid retail for it, I have added things rear rack crash bars windshield etc, and I like the ride and power but it's like driving a enduro compared to my cb900c., in the deal i felt so bad that i gave him my 1982 cb900c. I tracked him down and he still has the bike, he stripped it down and kept all the parts, He wants $1000.00 for it which is a fair price but now that i want my old bike back that i gave away it's gonna cost me 1k. I don't know what to do.
 
Well, if he's still down and out and you really want the bike back and you can afford it, rack up a few forward karma points and pay the money.

If you feel resentful about it or think he's being a jerk, find another bike.
 
Buy the bike or don't, but don't let any regret you may have about the first transaction influence the second.
 
It sounds like you have the money to help the young man out and seem to want to do so, so go ahead.

Still not sure what you mean by an enduro bike -- even after googling "enduro bike".
 
postoak_imp said:
It sounds like you have the money to help the young man out and seem to want to do so, so go ahead.

Still not sure what you mean by an enduro bike -- even after googling "enduro bike".
An enduro bike is another name for a dirt bike, which the CB definitely isn't. What it is is a throwback to the old UJM.
 
We've had others insist it's a sport bike, so whether folks think it's a roadster, a cruiser, a standard, a tourer, a sport bike or an enduro, I think we're defining UJM. All I know is it puts a smile on my face!
 
paul kellam_imp said:
Long story short: I bought my 13 (cb1100) from a kid who was down and out and needed the cash, I paid retail for it, I have added things rear rack crash bars windshield etc, and I like the ride and power but it's like driving a enduro compared to my cb900c., in the deal i felt so bad that i gave him my 1982 cb900c. I tracked him down and he still has the bike, he stripped it down and kept all the parts, He wants $1000.00 for it which is a fair price but now that i want my old bike back that i gave away it's gonna cost me 1k. I don't know what to do.
Dang shouldn't have given him that bike on top of paying retail for his old bike.
 
By "enduro bike", I believe the OP was referring to the configuration of the rider's triangle / riding position of the CB1100..

Think of a supersport bike, the CB1100 and a cruiser. Then try to imagine what it would take to stand up and balance yourself on the pegs. On the supersport, you would have to push yourself backward and upward. On a the cruiser you would have to pull yourself forward and upward. On the CB, you would come the closest to simply standing up as the pegs aren't mounted on rearsets, nor are they forward mounted. Also the bars aren't set really low like a supersport, nor are they configured like those on so many cruisers.

While the bike itself isn't nearly the same, the riding position itself isn't all that different from the enduro bikes if days gone by (Yamaha DTs, Honda SLs , etc,) — at least by comparison to a supersport or a cruiser.

In other words, the Honda CB900C was more of a cruiser and the CB1100 is more of an enduro.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
By "enduro bike", I believe the OP was referring to the configuration of the rider's triangle / riding position of the CB1100..

Think of a supersport bike, the CB1100 and a cruiser. Then try to imagine what it would take to stand up and balance yourself on the pegs. On the supersport, you would have to push yourself backward and upward. On a the cruiser you would have to pull yourself forward and upward. On the CB, you would come the closest to simply standing up as the pegs aren't mounted on rearsets, nor are they forward mounted. Also the bars aren't set really low like a supersport, nor are they configured like those on so many cruisers.

While the bike itself isn't nearly the same, the riding position itself isn't all that different from the enduro bikes if days gone by (Yamaha DTs, Honda SLs , etc,) — at least by comparison to a supersport or a cruiser.

In other words, the Honda CB900C was more of a cruiser and the CB1100 is more of an enduro.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly well said!!
 
The CB1100 is virtually the same ergonomics to the CB900C once you switch the handlebars and put on a higher seat.


This is a CB900C (custom)-

a3b57e1e105f30ffcb2d9af8e58ac448.jpg



CB1100 stock

faef137c9f9ac15398617fb8e07358b5.jpg




And an actual Honda cruiser-


5d13324d9ef70a1950f9d3ec51f7dd6a.jpg




and some enduros for fun-


a83d69b03744f118a0ce667b8acdd34f.jpg
 
You stated in your original post that you paid him RETAIL to help him out and then tossed in your bike to boot. If it's accurate to assume you paid Blue Book value then the person selling the bike already made out. Tossing in your other bike was very altruistic of you. Now he wants 1K$ from the original seller that gifted him the bike and also that paid retail to help him out. No good deed goes unpunished comes to mind.
 
Thread starter
I'm just torn? I loved the shaft drive adjustable air shocks the power curve and the stance of my 900. What i didn't like was looking forever for someone to work on it, I had Sean in Washington redo all of the carbs it was running sweet when i gave it to him he has stripped it down like some guys do to be a naked bike and i mean naked, the 1100 is perfect for starting and the engine will lug in the highest gear at slower speeds it's the handlebars i guess the heals of my hands nearly go numb on longer rides, I can afford to buy the bike back but along with that are the problems that i mentioned, He told me he would give me first dibs when he sells it.
 
Paul, isn't the angle and the numbness something you could easily—and more cheaply—sort out with some bar risers. I'm sure someone installed some that not only lifted the height of the bars but also pulled them back slightly making the riding position more upright.

As I own only the CB and my days of bikes with carburettors are long gone, I can't comment on the difficulties of maintaining them. It does seem to me, though, from reading the forum that they require a good deal of attention. Do you really want to take that on again?
 
I think Dubs has more pull back bars, and we had a member in 2013 I met for lunch in Kentucky one day, that had buckhorn bars on his CB. Bars and cables might be all you need to make you happy with the CB. Cant do much about the shaft drive though, although I have 35,000 miles on my chain and sprockets with very little maintenance involved.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Well, if he's still down and out and you really want the bike back and you can afford it, rack up a few forward karma points and pay the money.

If you feel resentful about it or think he's being a jerk, find another bike.
Cormanus nailed it. I only would point out that once you gave it away, you had no control over what he did to it. So the second 1K it's going to cost you to put it back the way you want it, shouldn't add to the equation. That's on you, not him.

Maybe if you sell your CB first, and have that pile of cash in your hand, it'll make it easier for you to throw him the 1K for your previous bike.

One other thought... since you were so generous with the kid before, maybe he thinks you're this rich guy that just will throw money around. In that case, he's being a d**k.
Bikes are a lot like trains. Wait a while and another one will come around.

EDIT: I just noticed your post where you mention a lack of good mechanics to work on it. THAT'S the main reason I sold all of them after I re-bought many of the Honda CBs of my youth. We tend to get attached and remember the fond memories of owning our previous bikes. Then when we get one back, we now face the reality of finding someone who knows what they're doing to work on them because suddenly we remember troubles with points, drum brakes (or early disc brakes) low HP, wonky electrics, searching for parts, etc. Even if you CAN work on them, do you WANT to spend all the time giving them their TLC they need just to keep going?
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think Dubs has more pull back bars, and we had a member in 2013 I met for lunch in Kentucky one day, that had buckhorn bars on his CB. Bars and cables might be all you need to make you happy with the CB. Cant do much about the shaft drive though, although I have 35,000 miles on my chain and sprockets with very little maintenance involved.


Yes. A little wider and a little more pulled back. A lot more comfortable to me.


The ferret_imp said:
I think Dubs has more pull back bars, and we had a member in 2013 I met for lunch in Kentucky one day, that had buckhorn bars on his CB. Bars and cables might be all you need to make you happy with the CB. Cant do much about the shaft drive though, although I have 35,000 miles on my chain and sprockets with very little maintenance involved.

Nobody took a picture? :huh:



The ferret_imp said:
I think Dubs has more pull back bars, and we had a member in 2013 I met for lunch in Kentucky one day, that had buckhorn bars on his CB. Bars and cables might be all you need to make you happy with the CB. Cant do much about the shaft drive though, although I have 35,000 miles on my chain and sprockets with very little maintenance involved.

The bars I put on are at the limits of the stock lines. I only changed the bars- but anything more extreme will need brake & clutch lines, throttle cables...


OP- trust me I know what you are wanting. Same thing I wanted- but in my case I never owned a later CB. I owned a Kawasaki KZ750 LTD which was their same styling design as the CB customs.

I sold it when I got out of the Army- and when I came home I bought a '76 CB750 about a year later. While the CB was a wonderful bike- it felt a little flat (literally on the seat) and lacked the attitude that I had with the LTD. I had the same feeling when I bought the CB1100- it needed a little help to get it where I want it.

That is the great thing about the UJM- you can make them into whatever you want.
 
Back
Top