1000 miles to paint a house

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
A friend of mine who rides bikes lives in Eureka-CA, 400-500 miles from me in OR depending on the route, paints houses there every summer and I had a week off, so...a road trip to help paint!

We talked on the phone last Monday afternoon and he said "you have a week off work? You should come down to help me" to which I replied "I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel project and my tile saw won't cooperate and..." to which he interrupted and said "that's why you should come, you need a break from that project to help me with mine"...hard to argue with sound logic.

By Monday evening, I had the CB1100 packed and Tuesday was on the road by 8am. Took boring but fast I-5 south out of the Portand, OR area and by noon was in Grants Pass heading towards the coast on fun hiway 199:

26e58590a7dc7a2245578dfe233b7c2b.jpg


Lots of river stop possibilities along the way:

d1ef2795d2139666f0e38f32ccaf9ae0.jpg


Lots of Redwood parks in northern CA, and the first I road through was Jebediah Smith, a few miles before Crescent City:
63503a408a0281c995eb5b62d42b9ade.jpg

ac4ae9aa43576b23f3d0461465bd80d9.jpg


As my friend was in the middle of painting that day, no need to get there too early so I spent some time mucking around Crescent City. Views from Battery Point lighthouse:

76c09c147b9b669f9a13e029cc87e9c0.jpg


42f3ab24ce8fc1b4cb14bededf8c4ab9.jpg


d46ad34930a127db42ffa4f3ce811708.jpg


After Crescent City, you run into Elk country, and true to "Elk Meadow Cabins" name,
296d989e41fd1214e930bafb618be8d3.jpg
...

...this guy and a few friends were grazing a stone's throw away:
61cbf8d43788d06cef361aa11f0ced07.jpg


The coastline is beautiful, only interrupted by about 10 construction areas where there were flaggers and one-lane open traffic issues...but the the views do make up for that unpleasantness:
683f07771cc8969035f74dade934c22a.jpg


c1ff1ae73edd87a315641568137270e3.jpg


My friend was finishing up the his painting for the day around 6pm so I timed my arrival for a bit after that and it was a great day of riding...because Wednesday was to be all day paint day.
 
Thread starter
First half of Wednesday was spent helping my buddy spray the exterior of the house. He has all the right tools and it was fun watching him work efficiently and quickly, no non-sense type of guy when working. Has several of his family members working with him and they all seem to know what to do...lots of crazy energy, do-this-don't-do-that, get out of the way, help me now...all spiced up with lots of jokes and stories. I'd never spent any realy time in Eureka and he filled me in with lots of details.

I've painted 5 homes before on my own and worked with a professional paint crew for two summers back in the day so I enjoy the work--such a nice break from the day job. And I like learning techniques from others, see how they do things. 8am to 7pm...paint!

Same for Thursday except we left the late afternoon for a ride that turned out to be one of the craziest, albeit relatively short rides that I've ever done. True to his nature, my friend simply said let's go for a ride and w/out a word of explanation we tood off on 101 south out of Eureka. Then we turned off at hiway 211 and headed towards Ferndale:

35ff5ddc86fbb5615d29ef578a93335f.jpg


From Ferndales's cemetery the overlook is gorgeous with the seemingly everpresent ocean haze hanging about:
1ddc96f71f5c2dcbf25bba3943adc195.jpg


f1247d777104373517de7e1d5769266f.jpg


Then we headed back into Ferndale and waited for his daughter to catch up with us who was trailing us in the family paint pick-up because she wanted to come along for the ride, but dad didn't want her on the back of his GS for this trip. We chatted a moment with her then he simply says "this will be fun", flipped his visor down and took off.

He's a good, confident rider who grew up dirtbike riding and has little fear of taking corners in all sorts of road conditions...I'm not. But he knows this as we have done long trips before... and is patient. I do my best to stay close to him over likely the twistiest, uneven pavement I've ever been on. Not the best for the CB1100's suspension, but on his GS1200 he was having a blast. We both were really, but mine had a lot of "oh my" moments as he was pushing me beyond what I'm used to. It was good, though...when I felt over my head I just slowed for a moment to breathe and refocus. He'd let me catch up and ask if I was good--the late afternoon shadows in the heavily forested area was a challenge for my eyes, but we kept it up over 35 miles and eventually broke free from the trees to be greeted by the coast:

948a02bf783f5fc8624dd02d3972a0ba.jpg


Can you spot him? Here's there somewhere along that road:
b5ebe412a8b59d39d2c22cf798d77447.jpg


We road along the coast for about 10 miles before heading inland towards Petrolia:
63a1c88076c6866e62ac56e68439be5f.jpg


He and his daughter gave me a head start and so I took off to see how long I could hold him off. I was caught off guard by some animals I spied--so we stopped for a shot of ZEBRAS!!!

8bbe1c1bdc09d33623fba6434ab6ff63.jpg


7fe5e6d33841cd45375e2caf5627a5e4.jpg


Was not expectating that! He has ridden this route at least 50 times and said that the seeing zebras was a first for him, too.

I think we were in Humboldt county or in the area--I learned it's the region famous for cannibus farms...and the smell was obvious as we made our way through the never-ending curves up and down the many farms. At Humboldt Redwoods park we switched bikes as he was curous about the CB1100.

55fa143854d0c1cbe5e942c685ad354c.jpg


8d497dc74e9f8cc0fae37aab83fd3530.jpg


19923a6cbddad21808087b9e529435e1.jpg


b7ce678d0f03cee3ece8d1d7294c5088.jpg


We made our way back to 101 and he said his initial impression of the CB was that it was extremely smooth and had more power than expected. We got on 101 as it was getting cool and I was fully clothed but he had on sweat pants so on the CB he began to feel the temps as we as riding a naked bike vs his well protected GS. We had a blast at 75-100mph heading north back to Eureka, hardly any cars about. I was in 6th on his GS and it went from 70 to 105mph in a few blinks of an eye. Quite fun. But I'm tall and as is always the case, the fairing on his GS shoved the wind right smack into my forehead. Still, great bike, spectacular riding.
 
Thread starter
Friday June 24 was spent painting all day again and we finished the exterior and nearly all interior details, but that's as far as my days would allow me to help out, as I needed to get back home on Saturday.

Got underway at 6:53am and nearly had 101 to myself for long stretches north to Crescent City and to the OR border. I had never been extreme coastal southern OR despite living in OR for over 22 years, so while towns such as Brookings, Gold Beach, Port Orford were familiar to me, they were in name only.

I would still be on the road if I stopped to take photos at all the sites along 101 in southern OR. It was nice and cool in the morning and zero traffic to deal with for the first few hours. Arch Rock picnic area is a good example of the many lookouts:

6793f76cbca2fe0997b31ab2d5588d47.jpg


e533a9849df934c262df2fa956e166d9.jpg


0193ba5351f4c5c137d23476ea4a8dbc.jpg


b89cfcbdaa6c82fb51404c6453447adc.jpg


By noon I was in Coos Bay and it was starting to get warm and the 101 traffic was beginning to slow things down. I knew the day was supposed to reach mid 90s and so I wanted to ride the coast as long as possible.

28630bcd07ac855ebd956c4744232507.jpg


944232624bdc2cee7c1b709c06133960.jpg


Continued with the car-train north till Waldport where I headed to dreaded I-5, but hiway 34 connecting the coast and Corvalis was a dream ride of easy, swooping curves and very little traffic. The heat was getting too much so it was time to peel off the last of my warm weather undergarments at a water hole:

61ccdbb4935d7ca4792bbee0464fc8f6.jpg


On I-5, full-face winds were gusty up to 25mph, and the temps above 95. But at Salem I veared off towards Silverton and so only had to deal with I-5 for 30 miles of the 500 that I rode for the day. Had to douse the cabeza with water a few times and moisten the t-shirt on the way back as the heat was affecting my noggin' but pulled into the garage at 6:53pm, 12 hours later to the minute.

The Eureka-Ferndale-Mattole Road-return to Eureka was a 130 mile loop used nearly everybit of the 4 gallon tank, the fuel indicator said 9 miles to empty as we got back, a 32mpg average for the trip. That's the worst I've every gotten on the CB, but maybe an indication of the up/down nature of the ride. 1050 miles total to paint a house...and very worth it.
 
Great tale, pdedse. Thanks.
 
Enjoyed the pics.
Great memories of seeing otters swim in the river through Jedediah Smith campground, east of Crescent City...some 37 years ago!
 
Cool! Makes me miss Oregon and Northern CA. We all need to take opportunities like these when they present themselves. It's real easy to just put it off...
 
tommymck_imp said:
Cool! Makes me miss Oregon and Northern CA. We all need to take opportunities like these when they present themselves. It's real easy to just put it off...
It is.

Too many of those and one might as well garage queen the collection.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
Cool! Makes me miss Oregon and Northern CA. We all need to take opportunities like these when they present themselves. It's real easy to just put it off...
It is.

Too many of those and one might as well garage queen the collection.
It is.

Too many of those and one might as well garage queen the collection.
I hope to put enough miles on my CB1100 over the years that no would consider buying it even if I wanted to sell it.
 
pdedse_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
Cool! Makes me miss Oregon and Northern CA. We all need to take opportunities like these when they present themselves. It's real easy to just put it off...
It is.

Too many of those and one might as well garage queen the collection.
It is.

Too many of those and one might as well garage queen the collection.
I hope to put enough miles on my CB1100 over the years that no would consider buying it even if I wanted to sell it.
It is.

Too many of those and one might as well garage queen the collection.
I hope to put enough miles on my CB1100 over the years that no would consider buying it even if I wanted to sell it.
That would be an ideal and joyful riding well into retirement.
 
Great report and pics as usual Pdedse
 
Wow, what a cool trip! I'm headed down to paint Mom's house next weekend... won't be such a picturesque ride.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, what a cool trip! I'm headed down to paint Mom's house next weekend... won't be such a picturesque ride.
Could still be somewhat exciting.

Consider carrying the gallons of paint in the rear top box?
 
That’s a fine run you had there. I lived in Brookings and worked in Crescent City about 10 years ago, made the run 5 days a week. Brookings is pretty bout that’s about it. CC is a whole other story…. In the Salem area now, much better!! Rather be on the beach but the work is here…..
 
devildogdoc_imp said:
That’s a fine run you had there. I lived in Brookings and worked in Crescent City about 10 years ago, made the run 5 days a week. Brookings is pretty bout that’s about it. CC is a whole other story…. In the Salem area now, much better!! Rather be on the beach but the work is here…..
Welcome to the Forum devildogdoc!
 
Back
Top