LongRanger_imp
Road warrior
Yikes. Did the chinbar mechanism fail, perhaps due to the freezing weather, or was it simply not latched properly?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Ah if only this were the only thing that prevented people from being considered as such.greekcb_imp said:So you don’t look like a jackass talking to people with a solid helmet and no one can hear what you are saying lol . I see this all the time and it drives me nuts
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good question, but the experience spooked me enough that regardless how it failed, it wouldn't have failed if it was a regular full-face with a rigid chin-bar, so no modular helmets for me after that experience. When the handle bar hit my jaw, it caused me to bite down on my tongue. With the amount of blood I spit out onto the snow, it looked like a slaughter had taken place.LongRanger_imp said:Yikes. Did the chinbar mechanism fail, perhaps due to the freezing weather, or was it simply not latched properly?
Sounds like my Shoei RF-1200. A friend laughingly told me "You can't chew gum in a Shoei." It sat in its box gathering dust for three years until this old tightwad was willing to pay $50 for skinner cheek pads.2017EX_imp said:I wore a 3/4 helmet with flat shield from the late 60s until about 2009. Full face really did not gain steam with motorcyclists until the early 70s, the Bell Tourstar was one of the first, as I recall. I tried a full face, but it felt like a bucket in my head. Regardless, the helmet to wear is the one that fits right and is comfortable. How many times have you seen someone take their helmet off, and you instantly see that red "hot spot" indication across the front of the forehead, just like Peyton Manning had every time he took his Helmet off during a football game. I have tried Shoei, Schuberth, Arai, Bell, and others I don't remember, but the one that really fit the shape of my head properly, oddly enough, was HJC. From there I read all the reviews and tests on the various modular helmets, paying particular attention to the testing that determines whether or not the chin bar will stay locked in a crash. The HJC passed that test, and fit the shape of my head better than any other brand. I also found I could further tailor the fit by ordering different size cheek pads from HJC, which just Velcro into the helmet. As with most helmets, there are basically two sizes, sometimes three, for the helmet shells. The size is then dictated by the size of the liner. The fit around my head was perfect, but the cheek pads squashed my face. The standard cheek pads for the helmet were size large, however replacing them with size XL, the cheek pads fit my face perfectly. In other words. the only difference between large and extra large cheek pads is that the XL pads were slightly thinner. I live in Texas, so being able to open the front of the helmet at stop signs and stop lights to get air on my face is really nice. Others have already pointed out other benefits I don't need to repeat.

Entropy reigns supreme in the forum. The decline into disorder can be quite rapid lolThe ferret_imp said:Just so y'all know and it wasn't meant to lead to serious commentary although it's alright that it went that way, but my original post was just in fun.
Wear what you like and feel confident and comfortable in
2017EX_imp said:I dont know if BMW actually made their helmets or not, as I have never owned a Beemer bike. That said, according to Anthony at revzilla.com, the standing joke in Europe is that Daytona boots, Rukka textile jackets, and Schuberth helmets are the BMW riders "uniform". This would fit with my earliest recollection of seeing a modular helmet, a Schuberth, back in the early to mid 80s. At the time Webbikeworld.com reviews had a comparison of the small selection of modular helmets available back then. As I recall, at the time, the Schuberth was among the heaviest, if not top of the list in terms of weight. I tracked down a dealer in my area that had Schuberth to try on. It did not fit the shape of my head comfortably, and I do remember it felt heavy. So, maybe it was actually a Schuberth that was the first, sold/used by BMW?
