Wind and my CB1100

Greg Brooks_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have logged 510 miles on my CB1100 to date. This machine is much faster and more torquey than my old CB750F (I think it has about 16 more horses, with a slight increase in weight). For that reason I am carefully learning to ride it. I like to ride fast, after all, I did not purchase a machine with 8.5 lbs/HP (incluldes me) to do 55mph everywhere. Having said all this, I do find a problem with wind on the bare bike. I am planning to buy the Chic Design Road Comet, hoping it will help. Does anyone have a better suggestion for a fairing?

FYI - Honda thank you for bringing this back.
 
Greg, the wind pressure on the head and body can certainly be a hindrance to comfortable riding, especially at higher speeds. There are a variety of windshield/ fairing styles from fly screens to deflector shields, to larger street shields to quarter fairings ( like the road comet), to full clear fairings ( national cycle plexifairing). All allow some air to reach the rider, and there is a huge difference between a fly screen and a full fairing. Just depends on how much air pressure and where on your body you are willing to accept that wind pressure.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Greg, the wind pressure on the head and body can certainly be a hindrance to comfortable riding, especially at higher speeds. There are a variety of windshield/ fairing styles from fly screens to deflector shields, to larger street shields to quarter fairings ( like the road comet), to full clear fairings ( national cycle plexifairing). All allow some air to reach the rider, and there is a huge difference between a fly screen and a full fairing. Just depends on how much air pressure and where on your body you are willing to accept that wind pressure.
For the most protection and still not spoil the looks much U can't beat the National Cycle N8332 Plexistar 2 that I just happen to be selling new in the box in the for sale section! LOL! Retired President of Sales but can't same to stop!
For the most protection and still not spoil the looks much U can't beat the National Cycle N8332 Plexistar 2 that I just happen to be selling new in the box in the for sale section! LOL! Retired President of Sales but can't same to stop! If you want a smaller size I also have the Street Shield Ex which has been my best seller on theCB11 forum. Ihave one of each for my CB since they gone on and off so quickly.
 
I got my EX yesterday and did my first commute this morng.....YEAH!!! I'm not hanging on for dear life at speed any moee. MUCH more comfortable of a ride this morning.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I got my EX yesterday and did my first commute this morng.....YEAH!!! I'm not hanging on for dear life at speed any moee. MUCH more comfortable of a ride this morning.

Randy post up a pic. Can you get someone to take a head on pic with you sitting on the bike? Hard to judge size/ coverage without a person in the pic for perspective.

I am really waffling between the Plexistar and the Street Shield EX
 
My last bike had a big windshield so going without has been a big change. At first I was complaining about it quite a bit but I'm fairly used to it now. I think I'll get one of those colormatched bikini fairings I've seen on here, but a new seat is the priority.
 
One of the guys at work just took one for me and you have to really look to see the windshield. I thnk its just thd the way it came out. I'll post it up when I get home.
 
Randy_S_imp said:
My last bike had a big windshield so going without has been a big change. At first I was complaining about it quite a bit but I'm fairly used to it now. I think I'll get one of those colormatched bikini fairings I've seen on here, but a new seat is the priority.
I am going to sell my bikini fairing and install a larger winshield. Let me know when your ready I have both windshield to go with it.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I got my EX yesterday and did my first commute this morng.....YEAH!!! I'm not hanging on for dear life at speed any moee. MUCH more comfortable of a ride this morning.
Glad U like it Randy!
 
Jwayne_imp said:
Randy_S_imp said:
My last bike had a big windshield so going without has been a big change. At first I was complaining about it quite a bit but I'm fairly used to it now. I think I'll get one of those colormatched bikini fairings I've seen on here, but a new seat is the priority.
I am going to sell my bikini fairing and install a larger winshield. Let me know when your ready I have both windshield to go with it.
I am curious as to why you are selling your fairing?
Not enough coverage or?
 
Ole_imp said:
Jwayne_imp said:
Randy_S_imp said:
My last bike had a big windshield so going without has been a big change. At first I was complaining about it quite a bit but I'm fairly used to it now. I think I'll get one of those colormatched bikini fairings I've seen on here, but a new seat is the priority.
I am going to sell my bikini fairing and install a larger winshield. Let me know when your ready I have both windshield to go with it.
I am curious as to why you are selling your fairing?
Not enough coverage or?
I am curious as to why you are selling your fairing?
Not enough coverage or?
I would like a little more coverage.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
I got my EX yesterday and did my first commute this morng.....YEAH!!! I'm not hanging on for dear life at speed any moee. MUCH more comfortable of a ride this morning.

Randy post up a pic. Can you get someone to take a head on pic with you sitting on the bike? Hard to judge size/ coverage without a person in the pic for perspective.

I am really waffling between the Plexistar and the Street Shield EX

Randy post up a pic. Can you get someone to take a head on pic with you sitting on the bike? Hard to judge size/ coverage without a person in the pic for perspective.

I am really waffling between the Plexistar and the Street Shield EX
Yes,Randy post a pic with the shield
The replies give me lots to think on, I like that. I am not in a hurry so will research the wind screens suggested.

13 Honda CB1100 - sporty, fast, fun, just like the old days!
09 Yamaha Tmax - comfortable, great mpg, easy to ride, comfortable (did i say that again!)
 
Thread starter
As and update, I bought a Shoei full face helmet. For now the new helmet has resovled my wind problem, I had a half helmet before. Plan to ride a bunch of miles before making the move to a windscreen.

PS - Helmet saved me a few times, never ride without one, a bare head on a bike does not even look right!
 
The only time I found myself wanting a windscreen was when I was on a longer ride at a consistent 90ish MPH. Even then it didn't feel like I was going to come off the bike but my head was getting moved around quite a bit which leads to a tired neck. Then again my helmet is an Arai full face, can't imagine doing that in a half helm, and was in a tuck for pretty much the whole time.
 
Thread starter
Just a note: I added the plexistar 2 to my CB1100. This windshield fit great, the seller implied it was for a Ducatti, the model number is N8332 as recommended to me on this forum. The assembly instruction is good, except I found having everything lose, top and bottom mounting as well as clutch and brake fixture made it easy to lineup and have a symmetric look. I want to thank those who made the recommendation.
 
This motorcycle is very sensitive to large objects you mount to
its front forks or handlebars. I changed to wider super-sport bars
with super-bike mirrors and immediately noticed a difference at
over a hundred miles an hour. So if you mount something up there
and the large skinny 18 inch front tire starts to high speed weave
a little bit (or a lot) you will know what caused it. I plan to mount
a small black Emgo cafe fairing to cover the instruments/headlight
and that is about all this bike can handle without handling issues.
Remember 'retro' means 18' skinny wheels and even as good as the
CB1100 suspension is in my opinion, this wheel size works great at
slower speeds and not so great at higher ones (explains the limiter).
Greg Brooks_imp said:
Just a note: I added the plexistar 2 to my CB1100. This windshield fit great, the seller implied it was for a Ducatti, the model number is N8332 as recommended to me on this forum. The assembly instruction is good, except I found having everything lose, top and bottom mounting as well as clutch and brake fixture made it easy to lineup and have a symmetric look. I want to thank those who made the recommendation.
Could I kindly ask what this set up looks like on the bike?
 
Back
Top