Where to tap speed sensor signal?

Hey! Bakelite was cool :)
 
Waddaya mean "Bakelite WAS cool?
 
YES, agree to both statements...remember those days very well...and these were solid built as well ;)
 
REQUEST TWO perfect pictures of 2014 US model NONE ABS rear Wheel Speed Sensor....there are two types, pulse type generator or hall effect...not so sure which US model has....possible pic will tell, unless someone knows :huh: for 100%...need fast answer, going on short vacation, please
 
As far as I know they are all the same.

Here is mine on the bike-

e2af6d756f11e5811a53048e4e4ce3e4.jpg


47cc915e89ffdbd0e9e2168004985cbe.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
UPDATE ONLY,
Still working on this case, will try to submit more info before my vacation, starting Saturday Aug.18.
Some info already in my possession, still needs evaluation.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
REQUEST TWO perfect pictures of 2014 US model NONE ABS rear Wheel Speed Sensor....there are two types, pulse type generator or hall effect...not so sure which US model has....possible pic will tell, unless someone knows :huh: for 100%...need fast answer, going on short vacation, please

The US model for 2014 non abs is different than European and/or previous year models. I discovered this when installing a speedohealer from healtech electronics which allows you to recalibrate the speedometer. The 2014 US model sends out a high/low signal which I guess is the pulse type. Healtech didn’t even realize the change or difference when I couldn’t get their product to work which was advertised to work on my year model. If the electronics being installed expect a different type of signal obviously it won’t work. I tapped my speed sensor wire at the connector plug behind the right side panel near the air intake.

Apologies if this info is redundant or has already been shared. This has to be one of the longest threads for such a specific issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Peter, I couldn’t a scope probe on a pin easily so I ordered a cheap o-scope current probe. It hasn’t come yet.

And yes, I could have pierced a wire, but not happining.

Man, a good scope current probe is EXPENSIVE! I hope a cheap China one works for this application.
 
Semi update:

Most likely it has two wire hall effect:
Hall Effect Sensor: outputs a square wave (voltages may vary depending on design)
Testing: DO NOT CHECK SENSOR RESISTANCE as this may damage it, due to the circuitry used in the sensor.

...unlikely
Permanent magnet, induction type sensor: This type creates an analog signal. You can check sensor resistance if you have the specification, and you won’t damage it.

Bottom line: need a scope, as popgun and others said.

I tried to go through the back door but
".. the Honda Tech dept couldn’t give us an answer.."

More will come after vacation.
 
I tried using my scope on the wires with a cheap clamp on current sensor probe and got no good results. I now have a Tectronix current probe. But I forgot about this. Maybe I’ll try again tomorrow and see what I come up with.

If no results, I might make a test harness that will allow me to use a regular probe directly on a wire. I don’t want to stab the wires, thus a test harness.
 
Back
Top