Wheelie ?

_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Has anyone popped a wheelie yet.
This bike should be able to manage a wheelie in both
1st and 2nd gear.I saw a YouTube video of a guy
popping a slight wheelie on a casual test run.
I'm thinkin' it was in 2nd gear.
I had one superbike in all me years.A rocket.
A Suzuki 750 from the early 80's.I didn't ride it much.
The only bike I ever dumped/spilled.It sat really high.
Only one foot could barely touch the ground.I was going really
slow around my neighborhood and I decided to turn
around on a street and fell into the ditch.
I never liked that bike.Didn't put many miles on.
I sold it.A young whippersnapper kid wanted it really bad.
he talked me into letting him test ride it.He knew speed and
bikes.He actually did a wheelie in the first 3 gears.Not on the
first try but after a few attempts.I know because I followed him
closed in my car as he test rode.
 
Short answer no, I haven't done a wheely, but I'm sure the bike is capable of it. I accidentally did one on my Concours 14 once. :cool:
 
I work hard to keep both wheels firmly on the ground.

If you find a 67 year old fellow doing wheelies you probably need to take the keys.
 
Thread starter
bubblerboy64_imp said:
I work hard to keep both wheels firmly on the ground.

If you find a 67 year old fellow doing wheelies you probably need to take the keys.
I turned 61 this past summer.I am on a diet.
I plan on doing at least a few wheelie this spring.
Just to feel Free.
Butterflies are free also.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Any bike can wheelie, even a Harley Road King. Its the rider, not the bike, that makes it happen.
Exactly! A friend of mine ran the local Kaw dealer in the small town where I grew up. He was the local wheelie king. Whenever someone would mention that a particular bike wouldn't do a wheelie (too heavy, not enough power, etc...), he'd do a demonstration on the road in front of the shop. It usually included a one-wheel drive by of an underpowered little street bike, like a KZ250, followed by something massive like the KZ1300.

Sadly, all the fun came to an end when he was doing it on a customer's GPz 550. He failed to notice that the bike was almost out of gas. Midway through the wheelie (with the small fuel supply at the back of the tank) the bike started surging from fuel starvation. He ended up on his back and the bike had quite a bit of damage. He got to keep his job, but that was the end of his wheelie demos.

The real answer to the question "Will this bike wheelie?" is always, "It depends on who's riding it".
 
Watch 5 or 10 minutes of "motorcycle fail compilation" or "Stupid motorcycle accidents" on youtube and that will cure your desire to pop a wheelie!
 
I've seen a helmet-cam vid of somebody on a CB11 and I'm pretty sure he did a wheelie on takeoff down a backroad. Probably the same video OP mentions.

I'd prefer not to engage in any unnecessary risky behavior with my shiny new bike, but to each his own I guess.
 

Found this video of a wheelie around the the 2:19 mark.

I've just started back riding this last summer(no cb1100 yet) after a long time away from motorcycling and I have had no desire to even try a wheelie.
 
I did a wheelie on my first bike. It was a Yamaha R5 350. I was pulling out of the high school parking lot and decided to cut across the grass instead of going out the exit. The back wheel started spinning in the grass, then it hooked up as I hit the pavement. That f'ing bike went up and over so fast I never knew what hit me. I broke the gearshift off with my knee, broke a mirror, etc. I had to ride the 10 miles home in first gear.

Ah, memories.
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
I did a wheelie on my first bike. It was a Yamaha R5 350. I was pulling out of the high school parking lot and decided to cut across the grass instead of going out the exit. The back wheel started spinning in the grass, then it hooked up as I hit the pavement. That f'ing bike went up and over so fast I never knew what hit me. I broke the gearshift off with my knee, broke a mirror, etc. I had to ride the 10 miles home in first gear.

Ah, memories.
I'm not much on wheelies.Other than they do tell a story.
That a bike has the ability and power to be acrobatic.
I don't expect a cruiser to do a wheelie.They are too heavy.
The CB 1100's engine might sit too far forward as far as weight.
But I was near flabbergasted when first taking over the helm
how light it felt,especially in the steering.And how flexibile the bike.
It can be flipped around pretty easy.Making for ease of ride
and manuerability.Where most Cruisers live to just sit there.
Like dead weight.Plus YouTube has a CB 1100 test ride video where
the rider casually pulls a noticeable wheelie.I'm thinkin' he or
she was in 2nd gear.In spring after I shed some weight I might just
feel like attempting a wheelie.I'll have to read up on how to
perfect it,first.
 
I remember when I was 14 years old and had just gotten my motorcycle license I did a wheelie down our main street in town on a Honda CM 250 in traffic. A police officer on a KZ 1000 police motorcycle pulled me over and said he was going to "teach" me how to ride that motorcycle. I was so naive at the time that I thought I had impressed him and he was about to give me some "Pro tips". He then proceeded to write me a slew of tickets! lol
 
Back
Top