tire to end all

jimgl3_imp

Been there
Thread starter
it looks as if the PIRELLI Phantom Sportscomp Tire is about to become available in 110/80-18 and 150/70-18 this is my favorite tire ever, but it appears it will cost $200.95 and $277.95 respectively. $478.90 for a set of tires? I just can't. I'm going to be sick!
 
Revzilla appears to have a 25% off sale, some sizes are out-of-stock.

The performance reviews appear quite favourable, and tire wear below average. Isn't this typical for almost any Pirelli tire?
 
Seems most tire manufacturers now offer preseason cash rebates ($60-$80 per set). If you're able, it may be worthwhile to wait until springtime to buy. I paid $180 for a set of BT54's earlier this year after rebate.
 
I'm about to mount a set of Avon Spirit ST's on my CB in the coming week as a current generation replacement for the mighty Michelin PR3. I don't think i've seen anybody on this forum use them yet, so we'll see how good they are.

However, I commented here to say that my wife has a set of these pirelli Phantom Sportscomp tires on her Triumph. apparently they come stock with the bike. I didn't find them to be terribly exceptional. Now that i've seen this post and looked up what they actually cost i'm floored. for the money there seem to be so many better tires with much better wear life out there.
 
Thread starter
I found the answer to why they are so expensive! They are race tires!

PHANTOM SPORTSCOMP RS

PHANTOM SPORTSCOMP RS is a new competition tyre also approved for road use, designed for motorcycles with eighteen-inch wheels and intended for classic sprint and endurance races.

PHANTOM SPORTSCOMP RS combines the historic tread design of the iconic PHANTOMTM SPORTSCOMP with the latest technology for high performance track tyres, and is designed for contemporary classic racing applications.

The main advantages offered to the rider are the quick warm-up and the wide range of operating temperatures that allows entry to the track even without tyre warmers. PHANTOM SPORTSCOMP RS offers great consistency as the bike is lent over thanks to a dual-radius profile optimised for use on older chassis; once on the racing line at full lean, the large footprint area communicates control to the front and grip to the rear tyre.

Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp RS set isometric
Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp RS set isometric
PHANTOM SPORTSCOMP RS is designed to face different situations including intermediate wet conditions: the improved mixing processes support a high and uniform extra-fine Carbon Black content and guarantee constant peak performance even over several sessions. In combination with a draining tread pattern, the high ‘imprintability’ of the compound allows PHANTOM SPORTSCOMP RS to guarantee grip and drainage even on wet asphalt.

In 2020 PHANTOM SPORTSCOMP RS will be available in the sizes 110/80 R 18 M/C 85V TL front, and 130/70 R 18 M/C 63V TL and 150/70 R 18 M/C 70V TL rear.
 
Well they ought to handle well for a short time
 
Thread starter
I like the rear size 150 better than OEM/140 and presently mounted PR3/160
Good find, wonder what's their's longevity???
 
Thread starter
I would not think so, seeing as they are billed as a "race" tire. But if you have a track or some winding roads available to you, I think you would like them.

I must admit, I simply think they are the best looking tire for our bikes. I first saw them on the Ducati S1000 and liked them immediately!
 
Back
Top