Tire plugs??

I have plugged many a motorcycle tire in my day. Once it took 3 plugs in a rear to get me home from Northern Minnesota where a huge lag screw the size of my little finger decided to impregnate my tire. I will plug a rear and ride it out but when I plug a front? It is to just get me home so I can order a new tire pronto. I will not plug a front for a permanent solution. ymmv
 
mgoodie_imp said:
Thanks guys for all the input I think I'm going to plug it and ride it to the dealership to get a new tire I just am not a fan of taking unnecessary risks when it comes to motorcycles. Plus the nail is on the edge of the tread I can see it bulging out on the sidewall.
That observation is the fact that finalizes the decision for me... replace tire immediately before any ride beyond city limits!... bulging sidewall area not even a consideration for plugging in my opinion... Absolute Safety... not realistically attainable(unless giving up riding... not an option!)... Relatively Safe... attainable... but "bulging sidewall plug"... not even close!...
 
silverbub_imp said:
mgoodie_imp said:
Thanks guys for all the input I think I'm going to plug it and ride it to the dealership to get a new tire I just am not a fan of taking unnecessary risks when it comes to motorcycles. Plus the nail is on the edge of the tread I can see it bulging out on the sidewall.
That observation is the fact that finalizes the decision for me... replace tire immediately before any ride beyond city limits!... bulging sidewall area not even a consideration for plugging in my opinion... Absolute Safety... not realistically attainable(unless giving up riding... not an option!)... Relatively Safe... attainable... but "bulging sidewall plug"... not even close!...
That observation is the fact that finalizes the decision for me... replace tire immediately before any ride beyond city limits!... bulging sidewall area not even a consideration for plugging in my opinion... Absolute Safety... not realistically attainable(unless giving up riding... not an option!)... Relatively Safe... attainable... but "bulging sidewall plug"... not even close!...
silverbub has hit the nail on the head with his response :P
In this situation, get a new tire.
 
Location location location. In this case, since you are home now, a new tire is the better choice.

I holed my rear tire on the Griso. Took some slime to maker her air tight, even then it would seep a bit of slime. Rode it a few thousand more but had it replaced when it the shop for other work.

If the plug is good for a hundred miles she is good enough for the life of the tire. Your comfort level will vary though. I rarely considered the plugged tire while I had it on. Never gave me a reason to worry.
 
Thread starter
It's in the shop now getting a new road pilot 3. Since it was bulging the sidewall I was taking no chances
 
Especially since you're riding a black single piper. That version is faster, lighter and cooler and so much harder on the tires, because it is faster, lighter and cooler. I know that's right.
 
Thread starter
Oh yeah its so fast I was suprised it was even on the ground to pick up a nail! The speed limiter might have something to do with it...
 
Picked up a roofing nail in rear tire with less than 100 miles on my CB. Plugged the tire and have been riding on it for the past 6 months with little deviation in tire pressure and no problems.
 
which plug type did you use dogg?
 
Ole_imp said:
I have plugged many a motorcycle tire in my day. Once it took 3 plugs in a rear to get me home from Northern Minnesota where a huge lag screw the size of my little finger decided to impregnate my tire. I will plug a rear and ride it out but when I plug a front? It is to just get me home so I can order a new tire pronto. I will not plug a front for a permanent solution. ymmv

After re thinking this a bit I think Ole is right. He makes a lot of sense. Fronts are serious business and placement matters. Rears, not so much. Im changing my tune a little bit. Thanks for the perspective Ole.

Back in the day I plugged anything anywhere and I got away with it. I wont do it anymore on a front tire. Still think its ok on a rear. So I am 50/50 and just depends.
 
When I blew my front tire on the way to work last year (I hit a piece of loose roadbed concrete) in the middle of the lane on a left hand sweeper at 75 MPH I had no initial indication that the tire had gone completely flat. The bars got a little heavy, but nothing unmanageable and I was on my way to work, after all. When I got off the freeway that was when I knew there was an issue and I pulled into a gas station to assess the situation. The front tire was completely flat and there was a hole probably 1/8" in diameter in the main tread block....it wasn't gonna hold air for anything.
I called work and told them what happened and then I set out on getting the bike home...55 miles to the south. This was at a little after 6am when I stopped at the gas station and thankfully there is a group of really good people out here that helped me out and I was able to get the bike home for gas money.
This is how far I went on my completely flat tire (without knowing it and I don't recommend doing it yourself). The red dot to the south is where the contact took place and the red dot to the north is where the gas station is where I stopped.

d1cffdf6a035fcf3f62fa5a22dc6272f.jpg
90919c08c36404d52940a756c7acd312.jpg
 
Yo could not break the bead on those stock tires with no air, confirms the carcass may be just a bit on the hard side:rofl:

They should advertise them as RUN FLAT TIRES.
 
There also was no appreciable damage to the tire when I had it changed I.E. no rubber flaking inside the tire when it was removed. Also I was at speed (70-75 mph) the entire time the tire was flat (at least until I got off the freeway).
 
I do..often...and I never win anything substantial...lol.
 
The ferret_imp said:
which plug type did you use dogg?
Just one of those "gummy worm" plugs I picked up in a kit at NAPA. I keep one of these kits in my truck and now on the CB. The nail in my tire was off center but not near the sidewall. I keep a close eye on it and have not experienced any problems. I'm a tightwad and hated the thought of having to replace a "new tire" with less than 100 miles on it.
 
Back
Top