New Black Pipe

Utah1_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
After several weeks of shipping issues, O2 sensor removal fights and bad weather I got the new KSY Race pipe on. Thanks to the forum member who passed on this great pipe at a great deal. No more stealth riding on this bike just pure audial porn. Shoot I even hit the rev limiter first time ever the other day listening to the sound on the freeway onramp and I've yet to run it with the baffle out. I took some video with my DSLR but the sound was too much for the crappy mic on the camera to process I'll try with my digital recorder and see if it does better.

29319e71e3101425a2605c0c73346eb8.jpg
 
Utah1_imp said:
After several weeks of shipping issues, O2 sensor removal fights and bad weather I got the new KSY Race pipe on. Thanks to the forum member who passed on this great pipe at a great deal. No more stealth riding on this bike just pure audial porn. Shoot I even hit the rev limiter first time ever the other day listening to the sound on the freeway onramp and I've yet to run it with the baffle out. I took some video with my DSLR but the sound was too much for the crappy mic on the camera to process I'll try with my digital recorder and see if it does better.

29319e71e3101425a2605c0c73346eb8.jpg
Looks good, nice photo too. Looking forward to hearing it!
 
Did you do anything to change the fueling (as in Power Commander) or run it stock with the new pipe? I'm interested to know if you felt a change in the low-speed fueling.
 
Thread starter
Just unplugged the battery terminal for a bit after install. Low rev power seems to be similar but I did hit the rev limit hopping on the freeway first time ever so not sure. Normal driving is a bit more aggressive sounding and do get a solid throaty roar on hard acceleration and few nice pops on decel. Sounds even better in person...


 
Does unplugging the battery cause an ECU reset on the CB? That would be very cool if it does. My bike runs great at high throttle with the Two Bros exhaust, but stumbles a bit at low/mid throttle. Too lean I'm sure.
 
Thread starter
If you have issues or doubts please contact the manufacture for the facts but that was my hope and in theory it should at least clear out fuel maps and other logged data, if nothing else it did reset the dash clock!
 
Guth_imp said:
My understanding is that those pops on deceleration are an indication that the bike is running lean.
I bought my ZRX 1200 with a aftermarket exhaust, use to fart ( pop ) like crazy on decel, tried carb adjustments adding air to airbox, finally put the bike back to stock. Maybe it can be cleared up with PCV .
 
Guth_imp said:
My understanding is that those pops on deceleration are an indication that the bike is running lean.
there's about the same amount of mis-information out there on this as with oil, octane, and Harleys......... Enough to take this thread out to 100 pages. I'm not taking the bait, oops.
 
Guth_imp said:
My understanding is that those pops on deceleration are an indication that the bike is running lean.
I don't see how it couldn't be more lean; the huge change in backpressure (far less) is bound to thin the mixture. Actually that's why I removed the 2Bros from my bike for now. It was so lean it didn't run good enough to suit me except at WOT or close to it.

When I can get a PC, I'll put it back on. If I don't sell it first....
 
Every picture tells a story. For those about to change exhaust before the change pull a couple spark plugs and take a good photo of the tips. After new system is installed take a good ride/hundred or so miles pull the plugs and compare them to the photos. Plugs are a good indication as to what is going on.
Also sound db's is something you can use to a certain extent. If your new system db's are close to stock db's then you can figure back press could be close to same.........all systems are different.
 
Power Commander V will solve your lean issues, even with the "Stock" map that comes with the unit.



Popping on decel is indicative of a lean condition or an air leak on the intake or exhaust.
 
HondaJon_imp said:
Power Commander V will solve your lean issues, even with the "Stock" map that comes with the unit.



Popping on decel is indicative of a lean condition or an air leak on the intake or exhaust.
the pair system is a controlled exhaust leak that by design causes popping. The stock exhaust is so quiet that usually you don't hear it.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
My understanding is that those pops on deceleration are an indication that the bike is running lean.
there's about the same amount of mis-information out there on this as with oil, octane, and Harleys......... Enough to take this thread out to 100 pages. I'm not taking the bait, oops.
there's about the same amount of mis-information out there on this as with oil, octane, and Harleys......... Enough to take this thread out to 100 pages. I'm not taking the bait, oops.
Deanohh,

Certainly not intended as "bait". I did see your subsequent post regarding the PAIR system, which I was not familiar with. I did some reading on this and I still don't totally understand the mechanics behind it from a total system standpoint. In other words, could the bike not be popping because of the PAIR system, in addition to the the motor running lean? Not trying to argue, just trying to better understand.

All the best,
Guth
 
That was tongue in cheek because of all the theories on mufflers, mapping, air fuel ratios, popping, etc and their fixes. Lean would certainly account for running crappy but decel popping may be from something else.

the pair system at certain times lets filtered air flow via the pair valve into the exhaust so that the extra o2 can allow some of the incompletely burned gasses to finish burning. You hear this combustion as pops during decel. Can be other reasons for pops too. Usually pops that become more noticeable with a louder aftermarket pipe can be greatly reduced by blocking the pair hose(s) but this may cause more emissions and cause acid rain, melting of the north pole, dead whales, depletion of the Brazilian rain forest, etc.

The PCV did eliminate the running crappy at low speed but I would never eliminate almost all the popping with my Staintune by finding the hose from the air box to the pair valve, disconnecting the hose at the very front of the valve which is right below the tank between the 2 center spark plugs, jamming a short tight fitting socket head capscrew (16mm dia bolt head) into the hose and reattaching the hose so that no air could pass through the valve. Because if I did that it would be tampering with the emission control system which is not allowed.
 
Thread starter
Kinda like some yahoo running a race only pipe without a federally mandated catalytic converter in place?? Top end feels quicker, my simple solution for slow speed issues is to just drive faster!
 
Back
Top