emptysea
Road warrior
So, that begs the question: why was Rossi's choice better than that of the other two?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Couldn't watch the whole video again but when I do I'll try to confirm Rossi's tire choice. Think it was medium/soft.EmptySea_imp said:So, that begs the question: why was Rossi's choice better than that of the other two?
Agreed!!EmptySea_imp said:I guess I'm not convinced that tire choice had much to do with the outcome. I see your point that Rossi had the right set up and rode within the parameters that the set up gave him, but I'm not at all sure that the other two didn't have the right set up for the race they were running. Marquez seemed to be getting locked in to his harder front when the crash happened and it happened well into the race. Dovizioso had, I guess, the same set up as Rossi and Lorenzo and he bought it, too. Obviously, lack of traction caused both crashes, but I'm not sure that each racer's tire choice was the determining factor in their crashes. Maybe, but seems more likely that they hit that little patch of replaced asphalt at a higher speed and/or with more lean angle than anyone else had in the field. Just not sure that the harder compound was making a huge difference in traction at that point in the race. I certainly don't know enough about the conditions on the track at race time to make a definitive statement that Rosdi made a better tire choice. Seriously doubt anyone reading this would, either, unless they were repeating a statement from the teams saying as much.
If you had a Videopass and were following this closely you would know that tire choice is the most critical decision the rider and team can make. Otherwise they would just put everyone on the same tire.EmptySea_imp said:I guess I'm not convinced that tire choice had much to do with the outcome. I see your point that Rossi had the right set up and rode within the parameters that the set up gave him, but I'm not at all sure that the other two didn't have the right set up for the race they were running. Marquez seemed to be getting locked in to his harder front when the crash happened and it happened well into the race. Dovizioso had, I guess, the same set up as Rossi and Lorenzo and he bought it, too. Obviously, lack of traction caused both crashes, but I'm not sure that each racer's tire choice was the determining factor in their crashes. Maybe, but seems more likely that they hit that little patch of replaced asphalt at a higher speed and/or with more lean angle than anyone else had in the field. Just not sure that the harder compound was making a huge difference in traction at that point in the race. I certainly don't know enough about the conditions on the track at race time to make a definitive statement that Rosdi made a better tire choice. Seriously doubt anyone reading this would, either, unless they were repeating a statement from the teams saying as much.
That is exactly what I meant. One can only qualify within the limts of the motorcycle and track. Not everyone can get on pole. It's nice to be on the front row, but clearly Rossi did not have the setup to get there and knew enough to refrain from pushing which could have caused a crash. Riders don't always walk away from an accident although most of the time they do, thanks to safety features of the track and suit.EmptySea_imp said:So...you missed my point. I never said that tire choice isn't critical. However, I don't think that any of the four riders mentioned made poor tire choices in this race. I also added that, even if they had made bad choices, neither you nor I have enough information at our disposal at this point to make the definitive statement you made that Rossi "made a better tire choice" than the others.
By the way, when you said (about Rossi), "Rather than try to qualify on the front row he rode his bike within its limits..", did you mean that he set out with a strategy not to qualify #1?