License plate holder

RetroSeattle_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Inspired by the Chip Beck thread, I came up with a simpler solution. Went to the hardware store and bought a 4" by 10" sheet of thin (1/16th inch) aluminum plate for craft projects. I cut it down to 4" by 7" to match the license plate and used my grinding wheel to put a radius in the corners. Then drilled four holes to match the plate, and two holes to match the heavy stock license plate holder. Since you can't countersink such thin sheet I got four nylon spacers to go in-between the license plate and my new holder plate. Added two reflector buttons to keep the WA state patrol happy.
Here's what the plate looks like when installed.
And a side view showing the little nylon spacers between the license plate and the holder.
 
RetroSeattle_imp said:
Inspired by the Chip Beck thread, I came up with a simpler solution. Went to the hardware store and bought a 4" by 10" sheet of thin (1/16th inch) aluminum plate for craft projects. I cut it down to 4" by 7" to match the license plate and used my grinding wheel to put a radius in the corners. Then drilled four holes to match the plate, and two holes to match the heavy stock license plate holder. Since you can't countersink such thin sheet I got four nylon spacers to go in-between the license plate and my new holder plate. Added two reflector buttons to keep the WA state patrol happy.
Here's what the plate looks like when installed.
And a side view showing the little nylon spacers between the license plate and the holder.
Very nice looking job. I'm going to try that.

Do you have to have the reflector buttons by law in Washington?
 
A 4x7 piece of .125 black abs from Tap Plastics was strong, flat, easy to drill and grind, and thick enough to countersink for 2 6mm flathead screws.
 
I did something very similar for the Griso (except for the black frame bit) while waiting for my stock holder part to arrive from Moto Guzzi. Worked like a champ. I did not use the washers and it seemed to look just fine anyway.
 
Thread starter
Do you have to have the reflector buttons by law in Washington?

I'm told that in theory you do. I think the stock reflectors look really clunky so used the buttons instead. I removed all of the reflectors pointing to the side as well, but I think those are only needed so Honda can get DOT approval in the US.
 
Keep an eye on that thing. Aluminum will not stand up to the vibration. Looks very nice though. Have it duplicated in steel for longevity.
 
I was also inspired and modified a fender eliminator I bought for my Triumph. I ground it down with my Dremel and added new holes. I love the new look!

Ill add a new photo as soon as I get to the garage
 
Back
Top