Hello

Uncle Sixer

First service completed
Thread starter
Howdy, everyone.  I have been lurking around the forums a few weeks searching the collective wisdom about the CB1100s...

I bought mine about 3 weeks ago, a black '14 with less than 8k miles... people have been asking me if it was brand new!  I have been away from riding for a little over a decade and decided it was time to get back at it...  after some searching, I kept coming back to this CB at the local dealership... it is mostly perfect, big air-cooled engine, slightly sporty, not too-much computer-controlled junk, classic looking.

It had a small windshield I didn't really care for, so that came off quick (where should I post it for sale? I see bikes for sale, but not accessories).

I am planning on a couple of mods to make it "mine"... I know there are a few things to get several more horsepower and maybe lose a little weight (what is the latest on lightweight batteries?).... and I have some issues with the rear fender and giant taillight.

I am 165 on the bathroom scale, probably 175 sitting on the bike, and I find the rear suspension harsh at times even with min preload.  I added preload to the front and at least now it feels balanced front-to-back.  RR: softest preload, 38psi, FR: 1.5 turns back from hardest preload, 34psi

The bikes I owned years back were both shaft drive, so I will be asking about practical chain maintenance shortly.

Other than all that, I am almost 50, married with 2 kids; we live in Pennsylvania.
 
Welcome to the Forum. You purchased a great motorcycle, and we all look forward to seeing how you transform it to make it your own.

We would love a picture or two if you can find the time. Please see the following thread:

The CB1100 Community Forum

Although i am an OEM purist, many members have made changes and modifications that are incredibly impressive. Search the Threads for ideals, and if you are so inclined, discuss your plans and folks will chime in with respectful passion!

Best of luck and please be safe,

David
 
Welcome and congrats US!!

Hey RD, why is his time on-line and Last visit Hidden? I don’t recall that option.
 
[quote="Uncle Sixer" pid='269653' dateline='1752345900']
Howdy, everyone.  I have been lurking around the forums a few weeks searching the collective wisdom about the CB1100s...

I bought mine about 3 weeks ago, a black '14 with less than 8k miles... people have been asking me if it was brand new!  I have been away from riding for a little over a decade and decided it was time to get back at it...  after some searching, I kept coming back to this CB at the local dealership... it is mostly perfect, big air-cooled engine, slightly sporty, not too-much computer-controlled junk, classic looking.

It had a small windshield I didn't really care for, so that came off quick (where should I post it for sale? I see bikes for sale, but not accessories).

I am planning on a couple of mods to make it "mine"... I know there are a few things to get several more horsepower and maybe lose a little weight (what is the latest on lightweight batteries?).... and I have some issues with the rear fender and giant taillight.

I am 165 on the bathroom scale, probably 175 sitting on the bike, and I find the rear suspension harsh at times even with min preload.  I added preload to the front and at least now it feels balanced front-to-back.  RR: softest preload, 38psi, FR: 1.5 turns back from hardest preload, 34psi

The bikes I owned years back were both shaft drive, so I will be asking about practical chain maintenance shortly.

Other than all that, I am almost 50, married with 2 kids; we live in Pennsylvania.
[/QUOTE]

Here is a Thread I created when I cleaned my drive chain last. Hope it is helpful.

The CB1100 Community Forum

David
 
Lord Popgun said:
Welcome and congrats US!!

Hey RD,  why is his time on-line and Last visit Hidden?  I don’t recall that option.

Commander of the RLET Brigade and Lord of All He Surveys,

I see no difference in Uncle Sixer's account. If I missed something, please provide more details.

Note it does take some time for all of the account settings to get fully operational when a new user account is setup.

Note that tomorrow is ride and picture day. RLETs will factor prominently in my staging process. :)

David
 
rdprdp01, although Milord Popgun is indeed Supreme Commander of the RLET brigade and Lord of All He Surveys, in forum terms he is but a mere mortal. Thus, to him — unlike to yourself, the Forum El Supremo — some things remain unknown. I shall send a PM.
 
Thread starter
rdprdp01 said:
Here is a Thread I created when I cleaned my drive chain last. Hope it is helpful.

The CB1100 Community Forum

David

Great write-up and pictures, thanks!

I will need some white grease.
 
Rd, Cormanus and I figured it out. There is a box you can check in the user settings that hide a couple things. Never noticed it and really didn’t know anybody used it.
 
Cormanus said:
rdprdp01, although Milord Popgun is indeed Supreme Commander of the RLET brigade and Lord of All He Surveys, in forum terms he is but a mere mortal. Thus, to him — unlike to yourself, the Forum El Supremo — some things remain unknown. I shall send a PM.

:worship: :worship:  :worship: :worship: :worship: ...Padawan he long time ago once was
 
[quote="Lord Popgun" pid='269684' dateline='1752416833']
Rd, Cormanus and I figured it out. There is a box you can check in the user settings that hide a couple things. Never noticed it and really didn’t know anybody used it.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry for my mistake, Supreme Leader and Dispenser of Obscure Yet Endearing Star Wars References
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun said:
Rd, Cormanus and I figured it out.  There is a box you can check in the user settings that hide a couple things.  Never noticed it and really didn’t know anybody used it.

I turn stuff like that off because I might stay logged in all day, but away from my computer... so if someone contacts me thinking I am on, but I am away it would look like I am ignoring them/being rude possibly.
 
You don’t have to worry about that here. We are all pretty laid back.

I never log out. Unless Apple does an update the worst I do is close the tab by mistake. Then open it again.

I don’t know if the site shows me on-line if the tab is not the active tab (when I look at another site on a different tab.

Plus, members are spread out all over the world so we are used waiting for replys
 
Back
Top