GPS power cable

The Gecko_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Those of you who have installed a GPS (or a phone) on the handle bar, and routed a 5V cable from the battery, under the tank, up to the handle bar ... for permanent power supply,
did you need / use any thermal shielding to protect the cable from the heat generated by the engine ? did you care ? did it fail and damage the cable, and yo found a solution ?

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

(and to Max: I am sorry about NS)
 
I didnt do anything fancy. I grabbed a 6ft cable from the store, plugged it into my UzsB adapter from battery tender. Ran it under the tank and zip tied it.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Nope, if we're being honest I don't really stop for traffic when I could ride

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
As an alternative, I wired a USB outlet on my handlebar to the spare 12 volt connection in the headlight housing. It's a switched lead, so it's only on when the key is on, and I assume you could do the same for a GPS connection.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
 
mpuhl_imp said:
As an alternative, I wired a USB outlet on my handlebar to the spare 12 volt connection in the headlight housing. It's a switched lead, so it's only on when the key is on, and I assume you could do the same for a GPS connection.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
^^ this is ^^ what I did.
My all three different wires for phone, GPS and camera are from the headlight housing, not battery terminals.

537b112da082837da779e1d26088a39f.jpg


9b543f4c43beb8ee4befb021de50d2d1.jpg


be4d7faa50df553dcdba99386a9fac3c.jpg


a97c25ad1d1c4f88bfaa65397f9bd7e4.jpg


4bbe6cae6f1c69d2043f681283ad90a7.jpg


13352d64d0081d0b335bca8508bb0668.jpg


b7e5f97e1d157ed89287e57ca82e158a.jpg
 
Headlight bucket for me too.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
So glad much of these monitoring and power source accessories are built-in later model bikes these days.
Well, we all wanted a “retro” bike, ... like back then.
My CB550 doesn’t have USB or phone connections.
Cormanus_imp said:
Headlight bucket for me too.
Thanks, didn’t immediately occur to me, but makes a lot of sense.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
So glad much of these monitoring and power source accessories are built-in later model bikes these days.
Well, we all wanted a “retro” bike, ... like back then.
My CB550 doesn’t have USB or phone connections.
Cormanus_imp said:
Headlight bucket for me too.
Thanks, didn’t immediately occur to me, but makes a lot of sense.
Well, we all wanted a “retro” bike, ... like back then.
My CB550 doesn’t have USB or phone connections.
Yeah, what I really meant was if the toys are OEM "built-in", then they are invariably less distracting (less visible), versus some bolt-on handlebar turd that subtracts from the sensual beauty that is all CB1100.
 
Gecko, I used a connector that fit the red connector in the headlight bucket. Pictures:
CB1100 Forum

Also refer to Popgun’s post numbers 4, 6, and 7 in this thread:

accessory power lead

Popgun’s posts will give you detailed information with the assembly of the connector and where to order it.
 
Back
Top