Good deal vs. Not-so-good deal

Thread starter
]

The side car is not registered vehicle, I'd say that's a different category. If you would have had the side car delivered you would not have had to pay sales tax
[/QUOTE]

*************************************

Yes, I know that is correct. I'm just joking about that. The sidecar dealer said if I would have paid my friend who was with me a dollar for delivering it, I could get out of paying the tax. My relationship with God makes me not want to do things like that!
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
]

The side car is not registered vehicle, I'd say that's a different category. If you would have had the side car delivered you would not have had to pay sales tax

*************************************

Yes, I know that is correct. I'm just joking about that. The sidecar dealer said if I would have paid my friend who was with me a dollar for delivering it, I could get out of paying the tax. My relationship with God makes me not want to do things like that!
[/QUOTE] Quote:*************************************

Yes, I know that is correct. I'm just joking about that. The sidecar dealer said if I would have paid my friend who was with me a dollar for delivering it, I could get out of paying the tax. My relationship with God makes me not want to do things like that!
It's perfectly legal, I don't know what you have to feel guilty about, god didn't make the laws...
 
Thread starter
It's not legal if you walk in and buy it and don't pay sales tax. If you buy something at Walmart in Texas, you wouldn't expect to get out of paying sales tax. (?) I could have had it delivered but the cost was about the same. The dealer also said it was illegal unless it was delivered. (Maybe he thought I was wearing a wire!)
 
I'm the guy referred to by the OP.

I live in Central Florida where the dealers are asking list ($9,997) plus dealer prep charges (about $800). Florida sales tax is a complicated calculation based on value but is a little over 5% for this amount (varies somewhat by country), title fee is $73.50 and a new registration is $225.

Buying a new vehicle out of state worked like this: Pay no title, registration or state sales tax in the dealer's state. Pay a local tax rate of 1.4%. The dealer issued a drive-away license plate that is good for 30 days and gave me a Bill of Sale. After several weeks the dealer sent by mail a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin to present at my Florida tag office, along with an original copy of the bill of sale and various IDs to get a Florida title, registration and license plate. I bought my CB1100 outright but if I had financed it I would also have to provide lien holder information. I had previously sold a Florida-titled and registered motorcycle so I had a license plate already. That saved my the $225 fee for a new registration.

Southern Honda was offering $1,000 below list, no dealer fees and a $150 credit towards accessories for buyers traveling long distance, so it was almost $2,000 difference before taxes and State of Florida fees. HOWEVER! When we were nearing what I thought was the end of the paperwork I came under intense pressure to buy a third party service contract issued by Star Sport. Naively, I was not prepared for this and after initial hesitation I agreed to a 6 year contract that cost $1,070. Also, I had brought with me a battery tender stub which I told the salesman about upfront. He said no problem, they would install it for me. Well, somehow it got overlooked and I ended up paying $42.50 in shop charges to have it installed after all the paperwork had been done. I bought a little more than $150 in accessories.

Comparison of buying local vs traveling out of state:

CHATTANOOGA
$ 8,997 Motorcycle
$ 1,070 Service Contract
$ (1,070) Cancelled service contract when I got home and thought better of it
$ 175 Accessories
$ (150) Traveler Credit
$ 148 Taxes (Can't get away from them)
$10,247 Total to Dealer

$ 135 Plane ticket to Chattanooga TN
$ 40 Cab from the airport to the dealer (including tip)
$ 50 Gas to get home
$ 563 State of Florida Title Fee and Sales Tax
__________________________________________
$ 9,958 Total to Buy Out of State

LOCAL
$ 9,997 Motorcycle
$ 800 Dealer Prep Fees
$ 635 State of Florida Title Fee and Sales Tax
$ 300 Estimated various shenanigans by polished money-taker-outer-of-my-pockets guys
__________________________________________
$11,732 Total to Buy Local


Non financial considerations (emotional):

My local dealer played a little fast and loose with me in the beginning, luring me to the showroom by implying that I could test ride when in fact their one unit was already sold. I decided to buy in Tennessee and ride home since the gas to drive a truck round trip is at least $400 and one-way rentals are crazy expensive.The trip to Chattanooga was pleasant, the cabby was cool, the ride to the dealer took about 15 minutes. My salesman was friendly and tried to put me at ease. I felt vulnerable; way out of my familiar environment and comfort zone, fearful that I wouldn't be able to handle the bike, intimidated by the intense Chattanooga highway traffic, etc. In the afternoon, live pictures from the Boston Bombing started playing on the big screen TV in the lounge. They played on my fears to sell me a service contract I didn't need or want and I'm still waiting for the refund check. My salesman proudly handed me a Honda t-shirt with the dealer's graphics on the back. It was a large and I'm not so he offered to send me a medium. He also saved at my request a part of the white plastic wrap with the Honda Logo from my bike's crate and I ask him to sign it for me as a souvenir of my adventure. Neither the t-shirt nor the plastic wrap ever arrived.

All in all, I saved at least $1,500 and had a great time riding 570 miles on a new bike. Would I do it again or recommend Southern Honda Powersports? I don't plan to buy another new bike, well, maybe the new Honda Grom! But the price advantages of buying out of state are far less for lower value deals. They claim to be the largest volume Powersports dealer in the US. They are low key, knowledgeable and offer low prices. In my experience the low price is a strategy to sell a third party service contract which is certainly almost all profit. After I provided notice of cancellation in accordance with the contract I got a call from their sales manager. He was very persistent. When I said I was considering buying Honda's extended warranty he really dug in, trying to get me buy it from him though I could get it literally anywhere. I declined and scolded him for keeping my money so long.

So, yes. If you know what you want and can refuse the third party service contract, it could be a good experience for you.
 
Thread starter
After everything I have seen and read, it seems my Oklahoma dealer's price along with the nominal registration/fees and taxes, Oklahoma is a great place to buy and register a motorcycle.
 
Greg: nice right up. To me it's like any major purchase, run the numbers, factor it all in and buy what you feel is the best deal based on price, availability and dealer relationship.

For me, considering low supply, high demand, a in my state sold it to me, after a test ride, for $600 off list, $9,400 + NY tax, title, freight, set up, $10,600 OTD. IMO a good deal, just to find one in my area. As closer dealers sold out.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
It's not legal if you walk in and buy it and don't pay sales tax. If you buy something at Walmart in Texas, you wouldn't expect to get out of paying sales tax. (?) I could have had it delivered but the cost was about the same. The dealer also said it was illegal unless it was delivered. (Maybe he thought I was wearing a wire!)
That's right, you have to have it delivered.
 
Thread starter
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
]

The side car is not registered vehicle, I'd say that's a different category. If you would have had the side car delivered you would not have had to pay sales tax

*************************************

Yes, I know that is correct. I'm just joking about that. The sidecar dealer said if I would have paid my friend who was with me a dollar for delivering it, I could get out of paying the tax. My relationship with God makes me not want to do things like that!
Quote:*************************************

Yes, I know that is correct. I'm just joking about that. The sidecar dealer said if I would have paid my friend who was with me a dollar for delivering it, I could get out of paying the tax. My relationship with God makes me not want to do things like that!
It's perfectly legal, I don't know what you have to feel guilty about, god didn't make the laws...
[/QUOTE] ********************************************************

The point is that it is not legal to avoid paying sales tax if you are there buying in person. But, Texas law does not require tax if delivered out-of-state. Some states are now charging tax either way. I have experienced this many times. They're beginning to figure out they can get more and more taxes.

Some dealers will not charge tax if you have an out-of-state residence even though it's not legal to avoid tax if you walk in and buy it. This particular dealer was very concerned about doing things right. He had not shipped a sidecar out-of-state yet and expressed concern about obeying the law. He gave me a really good deal plus built the tax in to the deal (so he wouldn't feel guilty about breaking the law). He was a good guy. (Royal Enfield of Ft. Worth)
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
]

The side car is not registered vehicle, I'd say that's a different category. If you would have had the side car delivered you would not have had to pay sales tax

*************************************

Yes, I know that is correct. I'm just joking about that. The sidecar dealer said if I would have paid my friend who was with me a dollar for delivering it, I could get out of paying the tax. My relationship with God makes me not want to do things like that!
Quote:*************************************

Yes, I know that is correct. I'm just joking about that. The sidecar dealer said if I would have paid my friend who was with me a dollar for delivering it, I could get out of paying the tax. My relationship with God makes me not want to do things like that!
It's perfectly legal, I don't know what you have to feel guilty about, god didn't make the laws...
********************************************************

The point is that it is not legal to avoid paying sales tax if you are there buying in person. But, Texas law does not require tax if delivered out-of-state. Some states are now charging tax either way. I have experienced this many times. They're beginning to figure out they can get more and more taxes.

Some dealers will not charge tax if you have an out-of-state residence even though it's not legal to avoid tax if you walk in and buy it. This particular dealer was very concerned about doing things right. He had not shipped a sidecar out-of-state yet and expressed concern about obeying the law. He gave me a really good deal plus built the tax in to the deal (so he wouldn't feel guilty about breaking the law). He was a good guy. (Royal Enfield of Ft. Worth)
[/QUOTE] ********************************************************

The point is that it is not legal to avoid paying sales tax if you are there buying in person. But, Texas law does not require tax if delivered out-of-state. Some states are now charging tax either way. I have experienced this many times. They're beginning to figure out they can get more and more taxes.

Some dealers will not charge tax if you have an out-of-state residence even though it's not legal to avoid tax if you walk in and buy it. This particular dealer was very concerned about doing things right. He had not shipped a sidecar out-of-state yet and expressed concern about obeying the law. He gave me a really good deal plus built the tax in to the deal (so he wouldn't feel guilty about breaking the law). He was a good guy. (Royal Enfield of Ft. Worth)
I know I'm going to be paying state and county tax based on my place of residence when I register so I would insist that I pay nothing at the dealership. I have no problem paying the tax but I don't want to pay it twice.
 
Thread starter
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
]

The side car is not registered vehicle, I'd say that's a different category. If you would have had the side car delivered you would not have had to pay sales tax

*************************************

Yes, I know that is correct. I'm just joking about that. The sidecar dealer said if I would have paid my friend who was with me a dollar for delivering it, I could get out of paying the tax. My relationship with God makes me not want to do things like that!
Quote:*************************************

Yes, I know that is correct. I'm just joking about that. The sidecar dealer said if I would have paid my friend who was with me a dollar for delivering it, I could get out of paying the tax. My relationship with God makes me not want to do things like that!
It's perfectly legal, I don't know what you have to feel guilty about, god didn't make the laws...
********************************************************

The point is that it is not legal to avoid paying sales tax if you are there buying in person. But, Texas law does not require tax if delivered out-of-state. Some states are now charging tax either way. I have experienced this many times. They're beginning to figure out they can get more and more taxes.

Some dealers will not charge tax if you have an out-of-state residence even though it's not legal to avoid tax if you walk in and buy it. This particular dealer was very concerned about doing things right. He had not shipped a sidecar out-of-state yet and expressed concern about obeying the law. He gave me a really good deal plus built the tax in to the deal (so he wouldn't feel guilty about breaking the law). He was a good guy. (Royal Enfield of Ft. Worth)
********************************************************

The point is that it is not legal to avoid paying sales tax if you are there buying in person. But, Texas law does not require tax if delivered out-of-state. Some states are now charging tax either way. I have experienced this many times. They're beginning to figure out they can get more and more taxes.

Some dealers will not charge tax if you have an out-of-state residence even though it's not legal to avoid tax if you walk in and buy it. This particular dealer was very concerned about doing things right. He had not shipped a sidecar out-of-state yet and expressed concern about obeying the law. He gave me a really good deal plus built the tax in to the deal (so he wouldn't feel guilty about breaking the law). He was a good guy. (Royal Enfield of Ft. Worth)
I know I'm going to be paying state and county tax based on my place of residence when I register so I would insist that I pay nothing at the dealership. I have no problem paying the tax but I don't want to pay it twice.
[/QUOTE] ************************************************

You are correct by my experience. I have only bought one registered vehicle out-of-state (bike) and they didn't mention tax. Like you, I knew I would be paying it at home and I knew better than to pay it in their state. I imagine if someone didn't know better, they could get taken.
 
I bought at Honda East in Maumee OH. There were none available in the Detroit Mi area. They collect Michigan sales tax in Ohio. When my title arrives I just show that I paid the tax at the dealer to the Secretary of State to register it in Michigan. $11,157 otd for the abs model.
 
dailyrider_imp said:
I bought at Honda East in Maumee OH. There were none available in the Detroit Mi area. They collect Michigan sales tax in Ohio. When my title arrives I just show that I paid the tax at the dealer to the Secretary of State to register it in Michigan. $11,157 otd for the abs model.
That's a STEAL dailyrider .....
 
The most important thing is to find the deal that you can live with — that is different for each of us.

As I've said before, after seeing two of my local Honda dealerships close in the past few years, I wanted to buy local. My dealer sold me the CB1100 for the MSRP of $9999. All freight, set up and any other kinds of fees were waived.

The sales tax and DMV fees are separate from the price of the bike in my mind as those things vary from state to state and county to county. Here in Oregon, there is no state sales tax and in my county the title/registration fees for a new bike are $181. In know that others have obtained better deals, but I'm okay with what I paid.

For me, the real bonus was finding a good dealer nearby that I like doing business with. They'll discount parts for me (20% off) and see that I'm well taken care of in general. I can live happily with that. I hope my business helps them to stick around for a while.
 
When I was selling bikes 30 years ago I remember being told that "A good deal is a deal the customer feels good about." The state I live in has high taxes, the city I live in has high taxes, and the county I live in also has high taxes. The DMV fees are also very high. So is demand for the CB1100. I paid just under $12,000 OTD for the non-ABS model and felt very good about the deal. But the qualifier is that I just don't need to worry that much about price anymore; the sales guy is a buddy of mine and I like the dealership, so I feel I am "spreading the wealth around" a little bit now that I can afford it. 20 years ago that was not the case.
 
Wow, I just ran across a GREAT deal !!! If I had the $ I would really jump on this one. At Cycle Springs in Clearwater, FL, they have a used CB1100 with only 158 miles, for $8899. I'd say that's a killer deal. Wish I could do it, but I'm just not ready yet. It was great to see the bike in person, and they started it up for me too. So if you're close to this area and are ready to buy it would be a great deal. It's basically a new bike for a grand off.
 
I don't know who would fly to Chattanooga just to save a few bucks. If it was Southern Honda, they better (beware) ! They will say one thing and then add to it wanting more money from the buyer. Kirk's cycle's in Dalton, Ga. will beat Southern Honda any day of the week! And check-it out.... they are nice people!!


God Bless...

Jayimpalaman
 
Pulled the trigger on CB11 #1659 today! $10,550 OTD from Crossroads, and financed through my credit union at 2.49% over 5 years - I'm pretty happy with that. Excited and nervous at the same time, but not sure why (probably because I haven't ridden a bike in 2 years). Nonetheless, I'm happy to be back on two wheels again. Looks like the S2000 will pull considerably less duty for the remainder of the year.
 
congrats Jim. Smoking deal!

Oooh S2000. Sweet! Btw did you know that at one time Honda made a chain drive Sports car? It was called the S 600 and it was quite a car for 1964.
 
Fantastic deal, Jim! Congrats.

Having been off bikes for 20 years, my 1st ride was bringing the CB1100 from the dealership home, which in my case was 80 miles. I get the "excited and nervous at the same time" part of your purchase. I'm extremely happy now and hope you are, too! Be safe!
 
Back
Top