Classic Jacket - Brown Leather by Indian Motorcycle

Rolls_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I need a leather jacket that isn't as in your face sport bikey as the one I got as a part of my Alpinestars 2-piece suit.

If you can tolerate, or even enjoy, the Indian branding on this classic jacket,

http://store.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/shop/apparel/clearance/mens-apparel/60-off/2863300/

it's on sale for Black Friday at their online store for 60% off.

For some time now, I've wanted a vintage styled, no nonsense, thick and practical leather jacket that was well-made and had shoulder and elbow protection. I noticed this in an Indian dealer 3 years ago and liked it, but not at $500, or even at $400 if you catch it maybe twice a year at sale time.

However, it can now be had for $175. 60% off is $200 and I found a promo code for anther $25 off (HMS2016, iinm). <-- edit:correct promo code is HSE2016

If I actually get one, I'll let you know how I like it, but I wanted any like-minded and cost conscious folks out there to know of this option.
 
Looks like a good price but not much left in Stock and I hate buying stuff online without trying it on in person first. Sizes S-L are all that are left.
 
For an updated classic Old School look, I got this - this year: Held Harvey 76 Jacket. Fits great and all updated CE - D30 Protection.

 
Thread starter
That's an excellent choice. I like that it has the pocket for a back protector. Looks good in both colors and got a great review on Ultimate Motorcycling. Are you seeing it on sale for the holidays?
 
THX for the link and $25 discount coupon code.
Just paid $175 for my Med. indian jacket, w/ tax & Ship=$209
 
Thread starter
Ordered one, too! Interestingly, it shipped from Honda East in Toledo. It's in Maumee, Ohio now, as UPS hauls it across the country to California. Hope it fits. Hope I like it.
 
I like the idea of brown leather. It would go with my brown trousers.
 
Look forward to hearing about it. Looks good.
 
Thread starter
Well, I'm glad this jacket fits and probably will when I lose about 15 lbs around my gut (note my continued optimism about my ability to shed weight as I get older). It is a a more American cut than the Euro fit that Dainese and others often have. It is comfortable with the liner in and out. High quality zippers and fasteners throughout. Collar snaps down, so zero issues with wind at speeds up to 95 mph. Protection in elbows and shoulders stays well-positioned. No provision for back protector, which is very weird to me. I ride with a back protector that fits my A* leather and mesh jacket and have grown so accustomed to it that it feels odd to ride without it. The leather is thick and of noticeably high quality. It seems quite well put together and accommodating for either an upright or crouched riding position. It smells great. Pockets are good and logically arranged.

Jacket is warmer and affords better wind protection than my A* leather jacket, which is nice during the winter months here. At 50-54 degrees F today, I was quite comfy at highway speeds with my little Puig wind deflector and no electrics or other wind/weather aids. Might be good down to the low 40's, as it does seem to keep the wind out. There is a good flap setup and doubling of leather around the main zipper, which is nice in cooler weather, and a contrast to my Alpinestars leather jacket. Sleeves snap up nice and tight and my gauntlet gloves fit over nicely. Sleeves have looser snap position, too, which would go over summer gloves if one desired.

About the branding... to me it's fine. The lettering is and stitching is very precise and retro or perhaps even timelessly styled. It is cream, not white, which softens it's appearance. It looks like what you might expect in an actual vintage jacket, but I prefer a new jacket with reasonable new armor to protect me over a 60 year old jacket. I've always like the Indian branding, and I might be more accepting of it than some, as my grandfather rode an Indian in the early 1900's.

Overall, very, very happy with this jacket, and the super discount price takes away any guilt from the purchase. Glad I pulled the trigger on this. No regrets.
 
My jacket arrived some weeks ago, but my wife intercepted it and wrapped it up for Christmas. Well, I unwrapped my Christmas present yesterday.
What a beautiful jacket!






I went w/ a Medium. I'm 5'5", 155 lbs.
Jacket fits a bit on the loose side on me. If I wear a sweater underneath, it'd fit just right.
The arms are about 1" too long, so I'm rolling the cuffs up to make it work.

I have to wait for colder days to try it out while riding.
Since Christmas, we've been seeing 75-80 deg. F temps.
I'm not complaining!
 
Reminds me of my own brown leather jackets, except for the collar. My first was bought in 1966. I wore it until I gave it to my younger brother 16 years later. My wife had arranged for a new jacket to match our Honda Aspencade Goldwing. My brother still has it.

In May three years ago when I returned to motorcycling, I bought the same style of brown leather jacket from the manufacturer in Montreal. I was glad it was still the same heavy leather I remembered. It took a while to break in, but 20,000 miles of wind and sun have made it supple. It still looks good, although the leather around the zippers is a little lighter. The manufacture calls that patina and says it adds character to it.
 
Back
Top