Bike is starting to Irritate me re oil filter backing out

Lord Popgun_imp said:
You got it Mr. Ferret. The manual lists it as 19 ft. Lbs or 26Nm or 2.7Kgf m. And apply oil to threads and o-ring.

How do you get your iPad to not capitalize after a period? Like when you type ft. Lbs
After you type a period, popgun, the iPad automatically turns on the shift key. You have remember to turn it off if you want to start a new sentence or word with a lower case letter.

Jazzmans what a pic, but at least it must be comforting to know you can still install an oil filter!
 
Thanks Cormanus. Been driving me nuts. I was thinking it was something to do with the caps lock but that didn't work. :)
 
For the caps lock you have to double tap the shift key. It goes dark and a little line appears underneath it.
 
Thread starter
New photo · Monday, Feb 22, 2016 📸

Well, there you see it. on the top that tiny gap between the bolt flange and the filter itself is where the oil is leaking from. It leaked ~2/3ds of a quart (measured by amount it took to take back up to full, bike does not burn or leak oil normally.)
Soon as I started the bike with the K&N filter re-tightened, it started Drip, Drip, Drip, Drip,

I'm lucky I didn't die (oil on the tire) or blow up the motor. I had been planning on riding the CB back to death valley yesterday, but when this happened on sunday I knew that was out... Just think what would have happened in DV had I just tightened and riden....

p.s.

 
Love the Death Valley photo.
 
Just slap on some JB weld and got for it!!! :P
 
I use the WIX filters with great success.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
13 ft lbs, Ferret. According to your post in the Torque Settings thread I linked to above.

Negatory Sea, Redbirds said 13 in that thread, I corrected him with the 19 figure.

Jazzman, according to k&N website it's supposed to be a 17 mm nut ( takes a 17mm wrench)
 
Thread starter
ferret, not mine, it was too small for a 17mm wrench, (wrench would just round it out if I tried) and a 16 wouldn't fit. I also tried with the appropriate SAE wrenches in that size range(what sizes escapes me at the moment) and it was the same, either it would just round out or it wouldn't fit at all.

The Honda filter says on it 26 Newton meters of force.

I'll just be happy when my driveway is paved again so I can test ride my bike.... Replacing the water main, so I had to roll the FZ out in front of the driveway where i could chain it up before they tore it all up or else wait til the new concrete gets poured and dries, which looks like a couple of days away still....
 
Glad to hear you found the culprit, Jazzman. I used to use K&N oil filters years ago, until I (and others) started having problems with the nut on the end breaking off. I went back to the Honda OEM filters with a cap type wrench. Fortunately, both of my bikes use the same filter so I buy 'em in bulk whenever I see a sale online.
 
That's crazy. I never new that was a common failure mode for those filters.

Not that it's worth the time or effort, but you should be able to get a free replacement for that from K&N, as they are warranted to last for one manufacturer's OCI. If nothing else maybe it will push them closer to beefing up the engineering of the nut attachment.

http://www.knfilters.com/oilwarranty.htm
 
Personally, I don't care for K&N products.

I use only Honda OEM oil filters (and air filters) and I've never had a Honda oil filter back off or fail.

K&N air filters are popular, but I don't care for them. They don't fit the air box properly leaving air gaps which defeat the whole purpose.
The K&N installed in the 2000 VFR800 I bought last year had warped the air box cover so bad I had to heat the edges with a heat gun and press down on the cover on a flat surface.
The other issue with K&N is that most owners over oil them. It really only needs a misting of oil to catch the dirt.
 
Tink, I've never used K&N kit so have no view either way, but why is it K&N's fault that most owners over oil their filter? Surely that's an owner problem?
 
kmoney_imp said:
That's crazy. I never new that was a common failure mode for those filters.

Not that it's worth the time or effort, but you should be able to get a free replacement for that from K&N, as they are warranted to last for one manufacturer's OCI. If nothing else maybe it will push them closer to beefing up the engineering of the nut attachment.

http://www.knfilters.com/oilwarranty.htm
I don't know if I'd call it a common failure mode. The failures I'm referring to seemed to be the result of a change in the manufacturing process several years back. According to people who continued using them, K&N eventually fixed the problem with the nut snapping off.
 
jazzmans_imp said:
New photo · Monday, Feb 22, 2016 📸

Well, there you see it. on the top that tiny gap between the bolt flange and the filter itself is where the oil is leaking from. It leaked ~2/3ds of a quart (measured by amount it took to take back up to full, bike does not burn or leak oil normally.)
Soon as I started the bike with the K&N filter re-tightened, it started Drip, Drip, Drip, Drip,

I'm lucky I didn't die (oil on the tire) or blow up the motor. I had been planning on riding the CB back to death valley yesterday, but when this happened on sunday I knew that was out... Just think what would have happened in DV had I just tightened and riden....

p.s.
Jazzmans,

I was briefly stuck in sand there today! :thumbsup:

315989d0d451fb360ed341791804ffcc.jpg
 
looks a little, but you always put a little oil on the filter gasket ..... because the seal when it expands and pushes the oil filter can make it run ..... is indicated on the instructions in the filter box or on oil filter .... the expansion force that the rubber seal when dilates ago by extractor.

As I said it is a small thing but very important it ..... this explains why the seal can remain attached to the engine crankcase, or the oil filter can be unscrewed.

Sorry for the translation .... God bless you and your e family.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Tink, I've never used K&N kit so have no view either way, but why is it K&N's fault that most owners over oil their filter? Surely that's an owner problem?
You are correct, it is an owner error. Perhaps my phrasing was not clear.
 
Will need to keep this in mind, as I use K&N oil filters on my Road King (no leaks so far in 3500 miles. The hex end makes it much easier to remove & install without damaging the crank angle sensor).

Thanks for the heads up
 
Back
Top