2017 Honda CB1100EX modifications

US regulations call for a near-vertical license plate mounting, with a white light shining on it, often resulting in taillight "extension" pieces added on, or in this case, an extended housing, which becomes a pendulum on a longer stick. UK and other countries allow a more slanted plate, and thus the taillight is tucked in more forward.

My guess is that after the bike's design was finalized, during the process of modifying things for different markets, the light was changed, but perhaps not extensively re-tested, as it seems a minor change.

I put a UK taillight on mine just for its appearance, but can't say how it would hold up in the long term.

2017 EX Taillight - US vs UK
 
Oh man, that looks a thousand times better! Thanks for sharing PekingDuck!

Will see if I can dig one up for a swap. Did it happen to require different size bolts?
 
It just bolted in as I recall. I just looked it up, and the price is a shocker. The whole LED taillight is a lot worse!
 
pekingduck_imp said:
It just bolted in as I recall. I just looked it up, and the price is a shocker. The whole LED taillight is a lot worse!
The two rubber washers cost 68 cents. I haven't had any more wobble/looseness.
 
You gents are great. Much appreciate all the info. I'm working on a new plate bracket and will give the washer method a try along with it. I should have some washers laying around that would fit. At least as a test anyway. If not, local hardware shop will have 'em. Fingers-crossed they don't strip as others encountered.

That all said, sourcing the slim cover would be great. Seems like a pricey proposition for something so minimal, but I do think it really cleans up the rear in a way that ties together the overall design. OEM+ :cool:

Also, it looks like the bolts are different for the shorter cover. Which makes sense, since the longer bolts may already be too long as is (causing the wobbling).

You can see the shorter bolts here:
2cc4f524b81e0e74c73e33cd91c8de67.png
 
FlipModeOne_imp said:
You gents are great. Much appreciate all the info. I'm working on a new plate bracket and will give the washer method a try along with it. I should have some washers laying around that would fit. At least as a test anyway. If not, local hardware shop will have 'em. Fingers-crossed they don't strip as others encountered.

That all said, sourcing the slim cover would be great. Seems like a pricey proposition for something so minimal, but I do think it really cleans up the rear in a way that ties together the overall design. OEM+ :cool:

Also, it looks like the bolts are different for the shorter cover. Which makes sense, since the longer bolts may already be too long as is (causing the wobbling).

You can see the shorter bolts here:
2cc4f524b81e0e74c73e33cd91c8de67.png
I too had the wobbling tail light. Found a couple of o-rings in the toolbox and rolled them up the bolt. That's all it took to snug them up and take the wobble/rattle away.
 
Thread starter
I thought I posted the final pics. I added the bottom hole but it is covered by the plate frame for the most part.
982bb4dbc4b60b20c6f92b2d2dac90e7.jpg
afe47220e9389e50cb17edce050f8f8b.jpg
fe6cd415e0969607683449a7f00f38d0.jpg


Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
 
Sorry for never updating here. I was able to tighten up the tailblight with some simple stainless washers on the bolts. Worked like a charm.

Bought some aluminum stock to make a plate bracket, but life seems extra busy lately so the project waits.
 
Back
Top